Archeology: True BAD Game Design

90 Dwarf Shaman
There should only be one lot of fragments per digsite. That would perhaps make it bearable.
Reply Quote
I wouldn't call it "bad," especially not in caps. It needs improvement for wider appeal. I confess that, although I like fishing (which some people find absolutely deadly), I am findy Arky a bit tedious at times.

The artifacts can be interesting, though, and I wish I had space to keep some of them, and that the spiel about them would show up again for re-reading when you put your cursor over them.

A museum would be fun; expand the one in IF? There's a lot of good artwork for the artifacts, and it's a pity that the items are mostly just vendored.

Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
I'm not even going to bother reading the article.

It comes down to....it's secondary. You don't have to take...If you think it's boring then don't do it.

It really is that simple.

Let's all stick our head in the sand and not think objectively about the game we're playing. People want wow to succeed, that's why we're critical of it...
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Death Knight
I like Archaeology.

IT GIVES ME EEEEPPPICCCCCSSSSSSSSS.

And a tank.

I WILL HAVE YOU, TANK. I WILL.
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
I'm not even going to bother reading the article.

It comes down to....it's secondary. You don't have to take...If you think it's boring then don't do it.

It really is that simple.

Indeed. I like archeology. It's something to do when I can't sleep and just put on some quiet music.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Death Knight
I like Archaeology.

IT GIVES ME EEEEPPPICCCCCSSSSSSSSS.

And a tank.

I WILL HAVE YOU, TANK. I WILL.
AHAHAHAHAH IT JUST POPPED. HAAAAAAAAAAAiASHfklshdgjkasdu;ghasdilgzd

/excited
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
01/07/2012 02:45 PMPosted by Nuata
If you think it's boring then don't do it.

Never understood this argument, the whole game is optional including the subscription. That doesn't change the fact that one part of it is a failure.

By failure, I mean un-fun. I'm not sure how flying up and down the continent is fun. It's convenient for getting laundry folded while on flight paths, but that's about it. And, I have leveled it to 525 on one toon, but now its become a true chore.

Again, I do recommend the article, it does have some positive points, and some nice ideas.

It is unfun for YOU.
keep in mind that this game is not all about YOU
this game was not designed to only take YOU and YOUR desires into account
this game does not revolve around YOU and what YOU think is fun.

Other people exist in the World of warcraft. Plenty of these people have enjoyed Archeology. Just because YOU don't enjoy it does not mean it is bad game design it simply means it is part of this vast game you don't like.

For example I hate playing Rogues, I more then likely will never level a rogue to 85. Even though I love feral DPS, I hate playing rogues. Does that mean rogues are bad game design because I (and others) hate Rogues? No it means Rogues are simply part of the game some people don't like.

01/07/2012 06:13 PMPosted by Jaxzer
I think using the term 'bad game design' is one of those things that just don't sit well with the developers, because often times players really don't know what bad game design is, and it's rather insulting.

Wow. Stop and think about what you just said. Then remember that this isn't the first video game to exist in history.

Players DO know what bad game design is. In fact they are the only demographic that does. The "Developer" demographic exists almost entirely to guess at the only opinion that ultimately matters: the players.

Sometimes they get it right, sometimes they get it wrong. Just because you got it right 9 times, does not mean you will on try number 10. Assuming that 9 home runs will automatically make number 10 great is why companies die.

Secondly, it is insulting, yes. You created something millions of people will use. And there's no crying in baseball. If critique offends you here's pro-tip #'s 1,2,3,4,5,6, and 7: DONT MAKE THINGS FOR MILLIONS OF PEOPLE BECAUSE SOME WONT LIKE IT.

you're welcome for that advice by the way.

Last, while it may be insulting it's nothing, NOTHING compared to how insulting it is to suggest that only devs, not customers can know what CUSTOMERS want. It's also stupid and self defeating.

Actually no players do not know what bad game design is. Unless they have been playing third rate shareware games, or bad flash games.

Also every game developer is also a game player, which is why they got into the game development field. You don't start making games if you have no interest in them to begin with.

Also there is a huge difference between critiquing somebodies work, saying what parts of it you don't like and what parts you do and simply calling the work horrible and then proceeding to tell them how you think it should have been done. Want to know why? Because just like your baseball analogy there is no proof that your idea will be a home run either so thinking you know better then a company that actually makes games makes no sense.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Hunter
I love archaeology, it has pets, mounts, epics, and vendor trash. What more could you ask for?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Edited by Jaxzer on 1/8/2012 4:53 AM PST
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Druid
Follow-up article(For anyone not too good to read...@Crucafix):
http://wow.joystiq.com/2012/01/12/the-best-7-suggestions-for-improving-archaeology/
Edited by Xanedicus on 1/12/2012 9:02 AM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]