Undermine Journal in Violation of API Policy

(Locked)

85 Tauren Druid
Hello!

The undermine journal (http://theunderminejournal.com) is in violation of the API usage agreements for two reasons.

1. They refuse to expose the code related to the usage of the API. This is required as part of the usage policy.

2. They charge a fee for events notifications (sellers and market status). This is forbidden as part of the usage policy.

It is my hope that Blizzard contacts the undermine journal and brings their conduct in line with the requirements so that everyone can enjoy the environment they have created for free, as well as learning a thing or two about using the API.
90 Draenei Paladin
there fee has notjhing to do with api code or the data there of because you cans ee all the data they collect there "fee" is for and email or croned rss feed with your chosen items a custom job for a paying customer.. i dont see this as an issue but then agian...

as for there code .. yea thats an issue...
79 Night Elf Hunter
You can already find the wrapper required to be open sourced on this forum or by other means.

@ Above post - The fee is just for an extra service such as an email feed. You're already provided notifications on the website.
Edited by Hanekoma on 1/12/2012 9:43 AM PST
This is also not the appropriate place to voice these concerns. There is an email address listed in the forum sticky's for you to whistleblow to. Learn to read, please.
85 Human Paladin
It sounds to me like you're either trolling or just don't understand much about coding. TUJ is under zero obligation to open-source their entire site code or data-analysis algorithms (which, coincidentally, are widely discussed and openly available).

They're only required to disclose the parts of their code that interface with the API. Which brings us back to a single point - I highly doubt you've actually established conduct with the site's owner.

I don't know what your angle is, but you don't seem to have made much effort to figure out how things work prior to launching into your takedown request.
85 Blood Elf Paladin
"mommy won't pay another 5$ so i can make wow gold" fixed
1 Troll Rogue
You didn't say the magic word.
1 Troll Rogue
Here is the source code for how The Undermine Journal connects to the Battle.net API, to comply with the Third-Party API Usage Policy:

http://theunderminejournal.com/source.txt

(Vulgar personal activity suggestion.)
3 Night Elf Druid
01/12/2012 11:37 AMPosted by Ujournal

*gg*

This one comes to mind: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rHFNJnDPYY
1 Dwarf Rogue
01/12/2012 01:26 PMPosted by Rhileu

*gg*

This one comes to mind: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rHFNJnDPYY

If you knew the full backstory on the OPs post, you'd know Ujournal took the high road on this issue. In addition, Ujournal was not contacted by Blizzard to release the code but chose to do so of his own accord in order to ensure there was no need for Blizzard to show variance from the established guidelines
3 Night Elf Druid
01/12/2012 01:42 PMPosted by Banksecurity
If you knew the full backstory on the OPs post, you'd know Ujournal took the high road on this issue. In addition, Ujournal was not contacted by Blizzard to release the code but chose to do so of his own accord in order to ensure there was no need for Blizzard to show variance from the established guidelines

I thought so. I think you misinterpreted my post. ;)
90 Human Paladin
OP should click the drop down by Ujournal's name, click Posts, then read all the ones from Aug/Sept.

lol @ "suggestion"
1 Dwarf Rogue
01/12/2012 02:14 PMPosted by Rhileu
I thought so. I think you misinterpreted my post. ;)

Sorry, at work so couldn't see the video ;)
90 Night Elf Priest
@ OP

We like ujournal here, mess with him, we'll defend.

^_^

But seriously. The forums are more for the community interaction with eachother and the API Dev Team. Personal gripes, reporting, questions, or bug-reports can be done via email at api-support@blizzard.com.
90 Draenei Paladin
Personal gripes, reporting, questions, or bug-reports can be done via email at api-support@blizzard.com.

agreed
Web & Mobile Team
It is against forum policy to call out other players and I'm going to extend the same to application developers (as most of them are players). Such behavior could result in administrative action. If you feel that some portion of the policy has been violated, please contact us through the api-support@blizzard.com email address.

Thank you Erorus for complying with the policy and providing the source code that engages the API.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]