Is Effective Health Viable Again?

90 Human Paladin
I've been a bit absent from the forums so forgive me if I am misinformed, but from what I could tell the reigning king of gearing strategies is still CTC gearing.

I for one have been all about jumping on-board the CTC train, but recently the amount of damage I'm taking in DS, even 10-normal is a little startling. It seems to me that the vast majority of dangerous damage is unavoidable/unblockable, negating the impressive impact of those stats (on the particular piece of damage, that is). More often than not, when I die, it's because I got gibed before a healer could so much as blink.

Seeing as the change to CTC was made at least in part due to the finite nature of healer mana, and the (now) much superior gear of those healers, I've begun to wonder if my job as a tank has, or should shift to providing the largest bottemless well of effective health I can provide.

With healers being (relatively) the most powerful they've been since ICC, is it time to give effective health another look?
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Warrior
Once you hit full CTC, yes.
-----
Attack tables, CTC, diminishing returns and you!
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/2489160859
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
01/14/2012 05:55 PMPosted by Waniou
Once you hit full CTC, yes.

But is that really neccessary anymore? From what I can tell, most of the damage we end up tanking is magic, and almost everything that will kill us is not avoidable/blockable. Is making the melee hits hit lighter really an important enough goal anymore?
Reply Quote
90 Troll Warrior
Most magical spells are expected to take a static-ish number.

Melee is a huge fluctuation, from almost none to almost dead.

CTC will help smoothen that out. Besides you don't want to be hit with a huge melee then be killed by a magic spell that was supposed to be taken completely.

Like Psychic Drain.
Edited by Scootaloo on 1/14/2012 6:10 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Warrior
What Scoot said. Yes, there are a lot of unblockable things that will kill you. There's also a lot of blockable things that will kill you.

I think you're looking at it the wrong way. If you're at, say, 100% CTC, 2.4% short of 102.4%, and you've got, say, 60% block chance, almost every melee swing made against you is a block. This means, the way your healers see things when they heal you isn't "Oh, he blocked that attack, sweet, 30% less damage!", it means that 2.4% of the time, you suddenly take 42% more damage than you had been taking from most melee swings. That's noticeable.
-----
Attack tables, CTC, diminishing returns and you!
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/2489160859
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
01/14/2012 05:53 PMPosted by Arianord
With healers being (relatively) the most powerful they've been since ICC, is it time to give effective health another look?

Against melee bosses, block cap is both higher mitigation and higher EH than you'd get by zerging stamina.

Against magic, you're best off running MoBI and prismatic elixirs. If you're using a prismatic, you may as well use an elixir of the master with it, which means you're probably block capped again anyway.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Warrior
01/14/2012 06:02 PMPosted by Arianord
Is making the melee hits hit lighter really an important enough goal anymore?

You know armor is a part of effective health, right?

and you know that you can take significant melee damage at the same time as magic, right?
Edited by Mooclane on 1/14/2012 6:21 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Troll Warrior
What's MoBI

:(

I still, uh, haven't figured that out.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Paladin
Mirror of Broken Images, the TB exalted trinket.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Mirror of Broken Images, the tanking legendary.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Warrior
Oh that one, yeah I always keep that one for Yor'Sahj since I don't main tank Zon'Ozz
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Death Knight
Well, it's no AMS, but it does the job for you lesser tanks.

:>
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Death Knight
:3

Yeah, MoBI is nice. If you REALLY need to soak magic damage, get MoBI, the heroic trinket from Sindragosa in ICC, and AMS.

You'll be able to take a pile less damage from magic once every twenty seconds! It's awesome.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
When has EH not been viable?

If your EH is too low you go splat. Doesnt matter what tier/expansion you are in.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Mirror of Broken Images, the tanking legendary.
lol'd

I would take it over an orange weapon. I don't like orange (color, not the fruit) anyway.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Hunter
ONE
Let me show ya something from my guild's Heroic Morchok 25 kill last week.

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-jjqzg0engr9fkud7/details/12/?source=76&s=2292&e=2673

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-jjqzg0engr9fkud7/details/2/?source=59&s=2292&e=2673

The thing I want you to take a look at is the average blocked amount of melee damage Morchok/Kohchrom dealt.

The paladin's average blocked hit was 76K.

The warrior's average blocked hit was just shy of 60K.

Those are averaged blocks for classes who get 50-60% reduction from block fairly regularly, and were timing their cooldowns as best as possible to reduce the highest amount of damage.

napkin math for what the average reduction is:
Paladin - 31% + (20%*.3333) = ~38%
Warrior - 31% + ((39.395% * 71.34%)*60%) = 47.863%

Which means Morchok/Kohchrom were swinging for an average base hit of:
76K/.62 = x/.38 that proportion works out to a base swing of 122,580.

60K/.52137 = x/.47863 that proportion works out to a base swing of 115,081.

Assuming a baseline 200K hp pool as I cannot figure out how to find their max hp via WoL on the Mochok attempts, that means Morchok would be 2-shotting either tank if they weren't CTC capped.

There's no way in hell they'd be able to stack enough stam to gain the 19K or ~23.5K hp they'd need to offset the difference CTC cap makes.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
When has EH not been viable?

If your EH is too low you go splat. Doesnt matter what tier/expansion you are in.
^

With the obvious pitfall of OOMing your healer.

http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?allowed_in_frame=0&search=viable
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]