SOPA/PIPA blackout

46 Night Elf Druid
Can someone (or some people) discuss what exactly these bills plan to do? I've only started hearing about them in the last week or so and have no idea if I should be for or against them.

I don't pirate anything. I'm an aspiring author and would hate it if people were allowed to get my work for free. Judge me as you will, this is why I am not troubled by the government closing in on piracy sites.

I don't pass judgement when others pirate things, but since all I know about these bills is that they want to stop the piracy sites I'm not sure why google got in an uproar about liberty.

How will these affect facebook, twitter, pinterest? Will they? Will they change anything in WoW? I checked Wikipedia yesterday for more info about them and honestly I feel like I'm missing something.

If you can link websites with hardcore information that would be awesome and much appreciated as well. My retail management class is switching a lot of the assignments to things SOPA/PIPA related, more info more better!

TL;DR Wtf is SOPA/PIPA, how will it effect the average internet user, how does it impede liberty. Discuss?

Thanks for your time, everyone have a great Wednesday!! ^_^
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
Better yet, I'll grab you the actual bills.

PIPA
http://www.govtrack.us/congress/billtext.xpd?bill=s112-968&version=rs&nid=t0%3Ars%3A244
SOPA
http://judiciary.house.gov/hearings/pdf/112%20HR%203261.pdf
Edited by Karat on 1/18/2012 11:03 AM PST
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Death Knight
I was about to ask why you were linking Wikipedia when they were blacking out

clever girl
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
I wish google would have stopped searches instead of just changing the logo.
Reply Quote
01/18/2012 11:00 AMPosted by Reveries

The chaos that would ensue.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
01/18/2012 11:00 AMPosted by Reveries

Don't suggest such things! We don't need a Googleclysm!
Reply Quote
I was about to ask why you were linking Wikipedia when they were blacking out

clever girl

They left those un-blacked out.

Also: PIPA
http://www.govtrack.us/congress/billtext.xpd?bill=s112-968&version=rs&nid=t0%3Ars%3A244
SOPA
http://judiciary.house.gov/hearings/pdf/112%20HR%203261.pdf
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
01/18/2012 11:02 AMPosted by Hailstone
Funny thing is, if you have any javascript blocking addons, Wikipedia works just fine. ;)

I was wondering why it was working just fine for me. NoScript FTW!
Reply Quote
85 Orc Warrior
Reddits write up, fairly solid explanation.

http://blog.reddit.com/2012/01/technical-examination-of-sopa-and.html
Edited by Vaelkar on 1/18/2012 11:03 AM PST
Reply Quote
85 Orc Warlock
01/18/2012 11:01 AMPosted by Irtwåz

The chaos that would ensue.
bing could be the 1# used search engine for a day.

Oh how proud old Bill would be.
Reply Quote
If you live in Canada, you want to watch The Dark Knight. You go to your torrent or favorite provider or search engine. you can get what you want.

These bills will say. The Dark Knight is owned by the WB. They did not allow any torrent or search engine to post this movie without their consent. WB sues the providers and they are force to block anyone from searching for that movie. It affects anyone, any country.

But WB does own that movie. if you didn't properly pay to view that movie. And/or sharing it without their approval, they can block you and have every right to, under these bill.

I know i missed some details but that's it in few words.
Reply Quote
85 Troll Priest
I'd suggest that the wow forum search probably gets more usage than bing... and as much as i hate to admit it, has about as relevant search results too...
Reply Quote
85 Orc Warlock
01/18/2012 11:04 AMPosted by Shair
Understatement of the century.
Reply Quote
46 Night Elf Druid
01/18/2012 11:00 AMPosted by Hailstone
Why don't you take some initiative and go find the answer yourself.

As I said, I looked up websites that explain what the bills do and found absolutely nothing that impedes my liberty in any way shape or form. I took the initiative to get my friends opinions, but they seem like sheep rallying behind wikipedia and google without any knowledge of how it will truly effect them. I took the initiative to find wikipedias opinion and found they are concerned about outgoing links, but they ALREADY have to check all of their sources, are they upset that the government is going to be watching too?

Still have no idea why google freaked.

Thank you very much Karat, I have seen you around the forums and you prove to be a helpful elf :)
Reply Quote
85 Orc Warrior
If you live in Canada, you want to watch The Dark Knight. You go to your torrent or favorite provider or search engine. you can get what you want.

These bills will say. The Dark Knight is owned by the WB. They did not allow any torrent or search engine to post this movie without their consent. WB sues the providers and they are force to block anyone from searching for that movie. It affects anyone, any country.

But WB does own that movie. if you didn't properly pay to view that movie. And/or sharing it without their approval, they can block you and have every right to, under these bill.

That s the idea, the implementation is a lot more flawed-

Domestic vs Foreign

The concept of 'domestic' versus 'foreign' on the internet is complex. For example, reddit's primary servers are located in Virginia, however we have domain names through foreign registrars (redd.it, reddit.co.uk). The site is hosted via a third-party content-delivery network (Akamai). This means that if you connect to reddit from a foreign country, you are likely connecting to an Akamai server not located in the U.S. This legislation naively ignores this complexity, and simply labels a site 'foreign' or 'domestic' based solely on the domain name

http://blog.reddit.com/2012/01/technical-examination-of-sopa-and.html

strongly suggest ppl read that
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid

If it was this simple, I don't think there would be as much protest. But it's a lot more far-reaching than this.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]