Demonology PvE DPS 4.3

85 Undead Warlock
Can anybody link me a good build and guide??

I got 56% in Mastery and pull 13k DPS at most and im 384iLvl,

what am I doing wrong ??
Edited by Mäks on 1/17/2012 8:01 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Undead Warlock
shameless self bump
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
I'd take a look at this: http://elitistjerks.com/f80/t110366-demonology_cataclysm_4_3_release/

For starters, you might want to tell us your rotation/spell priority. You'll also want to gem/enchant more of your gear.

You might want to try another spec as well...Although if you really want to stick with demo I understand. I pull sub 20k DPS and as far as I know I have the right rotation and spell priority with occasional screw ups, but I'm trying to get the hang of it even though I know I pull more in other specs =) I feel kinda bad for hijacking, but I could use help too. We'll see what others say
Edited by Bendi on 1/17/2012 9:32 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
Hey Bendi -

I noticed you said you pull sub 20K DPS? You definitely should be pulling more than that. A couple of small things I noticed when looking at your gear, enchants and gems:

Regarding gems - typically, if the socket bonus is less than 20 intellect, ignore it and gem strictly for intellect. Moreover, if you gain more intellect even if you get the socket bonus by ignoring it, do that. For example, on your chest piece, although you gain +20 int with the socket bonus, you are only getting a total of 60 intellect by using hybrid gems. If you gem strictly intellect by using inferno rubies, you would have a total of 80 intellect.

Secondly, you are over the hit cap. A little reforging would help there. I suggest www.wowreforge.com. Some people hate sites like that but I have found it to be very helpful.

Which pet are you using? Felhunter's I have found best on the boss and Felguard for trash.

As for rotation, make sure you pop Meta as often as you can, get to melee range if safe and pop immo aura, don't forget to use Demon Soul and use your Doomguard at the right time.

A good site I've found is Noxxic. Take a look at their suggested rotation:

http://www.noxxic.com/pve/warlock/demonology/dps-rotation-and-cooldowns

Granted, you'll tweak it a little but it's a good starting point.

Could you post your typical rotation?

Good luck!
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
Thanks for the response Geosuicide
I'll rework my gems when I can play tonight after work.
Edit: Did a quick look over which gems I'd be replacing...I'd be losing 40 hit rating and getting 20 int from gems, but that keeps me 2 hit rating over the hit cap and I won't have to reforge.
I've been trying to pull of the felstorm -> demon soul -> soulburn felhunter. I'm bad, but I'll get it down eventually =) For now I've just been sticking to the felguard and only soulburning the felhunter on boss fights. I don't pet switch during the fight though, only at the start.
Typical rotation/priority: CoE > meta > demon soul > immo aura > felstorm > immo > BoD > Corruption > soulburn/felhunter > Shadowflame if in range (I should mention that if it takes me about 1 second to walk in range to cast this, I will run in range to cast) > HoG > incinerate (molten proc) > SB (shadow trance proc) > SF (decimation) > SB.
If I know a burn phase is coming up, I'll hold on DS, meta, and doomguard till then.
Edited by Bendi on 1/18/2012 9:22 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/2913172711
Edited by Freohr on 1/18/2012 10:09 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
Hey Bendi,

Definitely use the sockets for int gems. If you need just a little bit of hit or something to that effect, reforge. WoWreforge is great for getting you exactly to cap.

In my experience, the "pet twisting" method of starting with a Felguard then soulburning the felhunter is not worth the DPS. You may gain a little but I have found this is negligible. Others may disagree but as I noted, this is my experience.

I simply keep my Felhunter out unless it is a large group of trash then I'll use my Felguard.

Another thing I did is I pop Demon Soul AFTER I have got BoD and Corruptuion. Demon Soul with your Felhunter grants you a 20% boost to periodic shadow damage. My suggestion is get Corruption up, then BoD then Demon Soul. With your rotation the way it is now, you're losing seconds off your Demon Soul and you don't have any shadow spells up. You want to maximize the effect of DS.

Something else I do that other may disagree with is I use Incinerate as my filler. I only cast Shadowbolt with it's instant cast. One last thing as well, consider putting three points into Improved Corruption.

My typical rotation on a boss fight is:

CoE>Corruption>BoD>Demon Soul>Meta>Immo Aura>Immolate>HoG>Incinerate (or SB if instant)>Soul Fire when Dec is up. Keep in mind, while I am casting CoE, Corr and BoA, I am running towards the boss so when I pop Meta and Immo Aura, I'm already there.

Make sure you use your Doomguard. Once you get your two piece, the CD on him is reduced by 4 minutes but definitely use him even if you don't have the two piece. He scales with your procs and the article Freohr linked above touches on that. It's a good read. Pop Meta, Immo Aura and DS whenever they are off CD. Let your hoG refresh your Immolate and use your trinkets whenever you can.

I'm always looking for advice too so if there is any other input, please jump in.

Any tips Freohr?

Edit - corrected the BoA's with BoD's.
Edited by Geosuicide on 1/18/2012 12:11 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Warlock
01/18/2012 10:45 AMPosted by Geosuicide
CoE>Corruption>BoA>Demon Soul>Meta>Immo Aura>Immolate>HoG>Incinerate (or SB if instant)>Soul Fire when Dec is up.

You should be using BoD on bosses. Unless you can down the boss in less than 15 seconds.

Also, if you place your HoG prior to using meta+felstorm you will do more damage from the pet crit strike increase.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
01/18/2012 12:05 PMPosted by Fearoshíma
You should be using BoD on bosses. Unless you can down the boss in less than 15 seconds.

You are absolutely correct. That was a typo - I apologize. I corrected it in my post above.

Thank you for noting that!
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
you need more maastery, like 560% mastery will buff you dps to 26k, if my math is correct, once you reach 5600% mastery, you dps will get very close to 900,000.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Warlock
Freohr will disagree with your opening rotations. Here is what I use and what he recommends on his threads.

-Start with Felguard out
-CoE
-Macro (demon soul, use trinket (I use Moonwell for now), FelStorm)
-Shadow Bolt (for the 5% crit for spells... do this unless you have someone in raid to replace this buff)
-Immolate
-Macro (Meta, Immolation Aura)
-BoD
-Corruption
-Macro (Soulburn=> felhunter)
-Summon Doomguard (Watch your procs with power auras to make sure your power torrent and lightweave if you're a tailor have procced. You want for sure Power Torrent proc up when you summon doomguard)
-Hand of Guldan
-Shadowflame if you're close... try to be close.
-SB fillers, Inc when procs, SB in the final however many percent.
-If you have 4pc set, use a Soulburn Soulfire macro every 45 seconds for your 10% SP buff

The rest is a matter of keeping your dots up, casting stuff on cooldown, and playing properly.

With this opening, on a dummy, I burst to 45k dps (with only a food buff, no flasks or pots). In almost all raid encounters I burst to the top of the charts and maintain highest dps for most of the fight. Your burst will not last forever since your procs all wear off and your doomguard will die 1.08 min later, but it's a good start no doubt.

I should note, and Freohr has confirmed this, the opening rotation doesn't change if you don't use moonwell chalice. I think Moonwell Chalice gives the most burst based on the 1600 mastery for the full duration of my doomguard... which is substantial. SO, this is correct or close to correct of the opening rotation for all of your fights.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
Freohr will disagree with your opening rotations. Here is what I use and what he recommends on his threads.

I am going to try that rotation tonight in both a couple of Heroics and DS. Will post back after I compare.

01/18/2012 03:17 PMPosted by Dissitair
SB fillers, Inc when procs, SB in the final however many percent.

Are you saying that we should ignore Soul Fire when Decimate is up?
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warlock
01/18/2012 03:49 PMPosted by Geosuicide

I think he meant to type "SF in the final however many percent."
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
01/18/2012 03:49 PMPosted by Geosuicide

I am going to try that rotation tonight in both a couple of Heroics and DS. Will post back after I compare.

01/18/2012 03:17 PMPosted by Dissitair

No. You should still be spamming Soul Fire during Decimate, but it has lower priority than Nightfall and Molten Core procs.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warlock
Unless you have HM trinkets from DS, you should be grinding toward a MWC as the mastery buff combined with meta is unbeatable.

If it is a single target fight where HoG is keeping Immo up, then fill with incin as the dpc is better. Always have immo aura up in Meta and hug the boss if you can. It does a lot of damage. Felguard for AOE and Felpup for single targets.

I find that the 4pc bonus SP is more of a pain than letting fiery imps proc. If you have HM FL gear, I would recommend 2pc t12+ 2pc t13 as you are learning the class. There is a dps loss, but it is minimal and you gain a GCD every 45 seconds.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Warlock
Rethasz is correct. Spam soul fire on the last 25% unless nightfall or molten core procs.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
01/18/2012 10:45 AMPosted by Geosuicide
Another thing I did is I pop Demon Soul AFTER I have got BoD and Corruptuion.

The problem with doing this is Demon Soul is a buff on your character. It will not retroactively update dots already on the mob, you will have to refresh them in order for them to get the boost.

01/18/2012 04:50 PMPosted by Sitgarath
I find that the 4pc bonus SP is more of a pain than letting fiery imps proc. If you have HM FL gear, I would recommend 2pc t12+ 2pc t13 as you are learning the class. There is a dps loss, but it is minimal and you gain a GCD every 45 seconds.

Soulburn is off the GCD. It's the spell you cast in conjunction with it that uses the GCD. For example, you can setup a macro that will do Soulburn + Soul Fire and it will instantly cast Soul Fire with a single click as long as Soulburn is off CD (if you're moving, you have to press it twice for some reason, but Soulburn still doesn't use the GCD).

Typical rotation/priority: CoE > meta > demon soul > immo aura > felstorm > immo > BoD > Corruption > soulburn/felhunter > Shadowflame if in range (I should mention that if it takes me about 1 second to walk in range to cast this, I will run in range to cast) > HoG > incinerate (molten proc) > SB (shadow trance proc) > SF (decimation) > SB.
If I know a burn phase is coming up, I'll hold on DS, meta, and doomguard till then.

If you have the 4pc set bonus and you want to continue pet twisting, I suggest that you use the following rotation at the start. CoE (if needed) Demon Soul, Meta, Soulburn (This grants you 10% SP without using a GCD), Immolation Aura, HoG (increase pet crit strike chance), Felstorm, Immolate, BoD, Corruption, Felhunter (The buff from soulburn should still be available), Shadowflame (if in range), then proceed to your normal rotation of single target nukes and dot refreshing.

The reason that I switched the order of Demon Soul and Meta is because you get a bigger boost from Meta, so this way you should get one more GCD from it. Plus, the main thing you're casting at the start is your dots, which will keep the boost from Demon Soul until you refresh them.
Edited by Therrinn on 7/19/2012 8:59 AM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]