Question to the Higher ups (new models)

85 Blood Elf Rogue
So my question is, Why not transfer *more resources to getting new player models out if a whole lot of people want to see them right this moment? Do we as a people need to gather 1 thousand signatures to make this happen or is it a "Too bad, soo sad" situation?

Sutei - Daggerspine

*edit
Edited by Sutei on 1/19/2012 6:07 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Priest
eZs
I want new character models!
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
Adding more people doesn't always help. The more people you have, the less efficiently any individual works, so it can actually end up slowing the process down. That aside, it's not something that's a make or break situation for the vast majority of players. People might like them earlier, but not many are going to quit because they're going to be in MoP instead of 4.3.2.

Also, petitions are against the forum rules. Thought you ought to know.
Edited by Karat on 1/19/2012 5:42 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Troll Warrior
Trolls better have shoes or they better stop designing areas where everything is spiky rocks, hot lava, freezing ice or MADE OF BONES like the road near hellfire citadel in outlands.
My character's feet have been through more suffering than anything else in the warcraft universe.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Rogue
No, but we want it! We pay for it! We as the consumers WANT this to happen!

And nowhere did it say I was starting a petition on these forums. That is for the readers to decide themselves

Sutei - Daggerspine
Edited by Sutei on 1/19/2012 5:47 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
I actually like the current models as i suspect a lot more do as well. It keeps the game in a cartoony state, which i like a lot. In fact, it's one of the reasons i can't stand to play any other MMO, because it's TOO polished--heck, even the way Blizzard makes objects feel more round instead of sharper. I would be in favor of keeping the current models, but adding new emotes or a range of casting animations that are different, not only for instant-casts/cast-casts, but new animations for said previous casts.

There better not be any changes to my Undead or the way he walks--Undead Shuffle forever!
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Rogue
I can also agree that undeads are very cool, but there is always room for improvement...

like putting some putrid flesh or decayed muscles on those bones
Reply Quote
90 Troll Death Knight
Trolls better have shoes or they better stop designing areas where everything is spiky rocks, hot lava, freezing ice or MADE OF BONES like the road near hellfire citadel in outlands.
My character's feet have been through more suffering than anything else in the warcraft universe.

If nothing else I would settle for a toggle shoe button for my trolls, that way I don't have to tear up the soles of my feet on the way to the bank and people who like walking bare-foot can have it.

Inb4 "never gonna happen" :c
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Rogue
Just update human males and I'll be happy. Their faces look like potatoes and their noses have this weird discoloration that bothers me so very much.
Reply Quote
90 Human Rogue
This will be my prediction for the new models, mass QQ on the forums the very day they are released.

Which would be primarily focused on the fact the new models didn't actually improve certain races appearance
Reply Quote
Community Manager
So my question is, Why not transfer *more resources to getting new player models out if a whole lot of people want to see them right this moment? Do we as a people need to gather 1 thousand signatures to make this happen or is it a "Too bad, soo sad" situation?

Sutei - Daggerspine

It's absolutely not a "too bad" situation, Sutei. I know the concept of us having near unlimited resources to throw at whatever we want to is intriguing, but it's just not the case. We don't have an army of artists on layaway that we can transfer onto a project.

Just the same, we don't necessarily want to exponentially expand the head count of the art team to ensure a specific project gets done. There's a synergy we strive for on each of our development teams. In fact, we go to pretty great lengths to vet applicants whenever hiring for a new position. We need to know our iterative design philosophy and our core values are shared. So, if we were to hire several new artists to get this project finished, you certainly wouldn't see the results of that "right this moment."

Right now it's just difficult to give any sort of estimate on when new models might be available. Whenever a new expansion is in development there are many, many requests for new art assets. We're elbow deep in designing new gear sets, fleshing out the environments, finishing up several new creature models, etc.

If all of this makes you feel that much further away from ever seeing new character models, I can say the project is still a regular topic of discussion for us. We want to figure out the best way to introduce such a feature without shocking a huge chunk of the playerbase that doesn't really think about how their character's features could be improved every time they log into the game.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
01/19/2012 07:23 PMPosted by Zarhym
If all of this makes you feel that much further away from ever seeing new character models, I can say the project is still a regular topic of discussion for us. We want to figure out the best way to introduce such a feature without shocking a huge chunk of the playerbase that doesn't really think about how their character's features could be improved every time they log into the game.

Pigtail hairstyles for human females.

/tilts head to one side
Reply Quote

Sutei - Daggerspine

It's absolutely not a "too bad" situation, Sutei. I know the concept of us having near unlimited resources to throw at whatever we want to is intriguing, but it's just not the case. We don't have an army of artists on layaway that we can transfer onto a project.

Just the same, we don't necessarily want to exponentially expand the head count of the art team to ensure a specific project gets done. There's a synergy we strive for on each of our development teams. In fact, we go to pretty great lengths to vet applicants whenever hiring for a new position. We need to know our iterative design philosophy and our core values are shared. So, if we were to hire several new artists to get this project finished, you certainly wouldn't see the results of that "right this moment."

Right now it's just difficult to give any sort of estimate on when new models might be available. Whenever a new expansion is in development there are many, many requests for new art assets. We're elbow deep in designing new gear sets, fleshing out the environments, finishing up several new creature models, etc.

^ I like this.
Reply Quote
01/19/2012 07:26 PMPosted by Killercaitie

/tilts head to one side

Absolutely.
Or pigtail braids... but with bangs, like, the swoop. Not like Nelf tails, where the hair is all slicked back ): Looks gross.
Reply Quote

/tilts head to one side

/tilts head to one side

/tilts head to one side

/tilts head to one side

For Caitie!
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin

/tilts head to one side

/tilts head to one side

/tilts head to one side

/tilts head to one side

For Caitie!
I want better beards
Edited by Lionhearth on 1/19/2012 7:34 PM PST
Reply Quote
01/19/2012 07:26 PMPosted by Killercaitie

/tilts head to one side

You know, keep this up, and the Female Pigtails will be worded as "Cait Tails" in the barbershop.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Death Knight
Every time a blue posts about how they're not updating models my soul hurts a bit.
It was a big deal for me when they added the legplates and new boot models to the game.
And they never revisited that. It never went any farther, it never got any cooler.

That's really sad to me, we have this entire awesome game. But it feels like it doesn't get any cooler looking besides the zones we go to. The players stay the same, maybe a new texture gets wrapped around a model, but that's it.

Why doesn't it go further? Why is it such a low priority thing? How can a zone take precedence over a player and their equipment? We see our player 99% of the time we spend playing. Why isn't 99% of the art teams efforts going towards the player character?
And I'm not talking about a new pair of planetoid shoulders with thrall orbiting them.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]