Question to the Higher ups (new models)

90 Undead Priest
People are still missing some of the big issues here with the reasons why t hasn't been implented or worked on yet...

But first:

* Because you don't like the new content, does not mean that it didn't take a lot of work. To design a boss fight, requires concepts, mechanics and art design. That's the *DESIGN* phase and they haven't probably even started attempting to create it. There's a lot more work that goes into a single encounter in game than create a random mob, give it abilities and plonk it here.

* No one cares if you only choose to PvP/Raid/RP/whatever you do in game... The game is to cater for millions. Not your individual tastes, so get off your high horse and stop thinking you all speak for the entire player base, because gues s what? You speak for 1/10,000,000th of the player base.

* Remember that pets in the shop, in game and stuff are done by seperate design teams, so you can stop accusing Blizz of wasting time on them.

Now, to character models, there are a number of very valid reasons for this as many have stated before...

* People will always complain. Seriously. If you have not seen that with WoW yet, have you been hiding under a rock?

* Updating the model requires quite extensive work for a single model. Everything needs to be right or the model can screw up... A simple mistake in the code of the Night Elf Female model and poof! All players of Night Elf females may suddenly be completely unplayable until Blizz fixes it, which could take some time.

* It's not a simple case of just making the figures rounded and more polygons. They want to --COMPLETELY-- overhaul the models. That takes a lot more time and resources than people give them credit for.
A lot of the 'amatuer edits' you see by fans online are that... Edits of the existing models or other models elsewhere. Many have not been built from the ground up. And even then, these people may have done what? 2-3 models? We're talking about 10+ races, times 2 for each gender, plus animations and everything else...
That's a HELL of a lot of work.

* In regards to that, not only do they have to update the model, but EVERY piece of armor in the game to match that model. The armor has to sit correctly on a new model, otherwise surprise, surprise, there will be complaints.
Armor is not a simple copy paste as many people would think it is.

* Have you considered all art teams are probably working on the new expansion at the moment? Some of you may not care for the new features and protest that you don't want time wasted on the newer stuff, but want the character models... Well, you can be rest assured, people would complain if everything in MoP was just a rehash of classic WoW.
The new content WILL take priorty over the old, because, while many players do want new models, many other have to decide if they want the models and another year of the same old content or new content and new models down the track?
New content will win because while new models are pretty, it does not add an incentive for people to keep playing.

* Change is a big, big thing... Look at how players react to the changing of Talents, removal of abilties, etc, etc... To just go and up and change the character models is a huge change and while many may say that you can easily accept it, it's again, your opinion.
Every time I log into my druid, this is how I see her. Now to suddenly have her changed and not be able to get that look I always envisioned her with back is a big thing... It can ruin and break the character for me, because I'm attached to the character.
This is why they need to work out how best to do it... How can they adapt and update the models to a new look and not annoy most of their player base?
Claiming that this is a lie/cover up is not true. Just look at players who have had something small of theirs changed visually and hated it? Character model is a MUCH bigger issue.

Overall, I want new models as much as the next person, but I'd rather Blizz take their time, and provide us with new content and did the models right, than rush it and give us something hurried and not worth it, and skim out on newer content for us.
The fact that they are addressing they keep coming back to discuss it means they are aware and want to do it. The important part there is that they plan to do it eventually. Rather than tell you to sit down, shut up and keep playing with what you've got, they have informed you their plans and wants for something that yes, is a frequently asked issue.

TL;DR version... Updating the models in a lot harder and time consuming than people think. The fanbase willl fight it as well, regardless of what you claim otherwise and you have to weigh up if newer content to keep playing is worth less to you than newer art... And then knock it into your brain that you are again, only 1/10,000,000th of the WoW playerbase.

As much as I want updated character models... she's right. ^
Reply Quote
3 Blood Elf Rogue
They couldn't even be bothered to make new boss models or a zone for Dragon Soul and you think they'll give you new character models. Good joke!
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Priest
01/19/2012 07:26 PMPosted by Killercaitie
If all of this makes you feel that much further away from ever seeing new character models, I can say the project is still a regular topic of discussion for us. We want to figure out the best way to introduce such a feature without shocking a huge chunk of the playerbase that doesn't really think about how their character's features could be improved every time they log into the game.

Pigtail hairstyles for human females.

/tilts head to one side

LOL, you are hilariously both immediately responsive and unrelenting. Impressive
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Hunter
One does wonder why "finishing up a few creature models" are more important than sprucing up the models that EVERYone looks at EVERY day. Especially when they seem so content using reskins for the entirety of the final tier of Cata, minus one grossly disappointing final encounter.

In my opinion, fighting Deathwing's feet was was the biggest anti-climax I could possibly imagine. I was expecting a massive, wailing dragon, bent upon my destruction only to find I'm pulling cleanup on aisle 3 because Deathwing had a Depends failure.

Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Too bad programming can't be done by seasonal hires or itinerant crop pickers. Would be funny to see roving bands of geek temps for hire.

People need to stop being so visually picky and vain about graphics. Remember 8-bit games? Console RPGs? Computer games like Kings Quest? Be thankful the genre has advanced so much.

I play zoomed out so far, I can't see what others look like or what they're wearing or read their names. Works out just fine for me. =P

Reply Quote
90 Human Rogue
Hell I will make the models in my own time, at the cost of nothing. God knows I got the time, and epic modeling skills :)
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin

TL;DR version... Updating the models in a lot harder and time consuming than people think. The fanbase willl fight it as well, regardless of what you claim otherwise and you have to weigh up if newer content to keep playing is worth less to you than newer art... And then knock it into your brain that you are again, only 1/10,000,000th of the WoW playerbase.

TL;DR... Updating the models is not as hard and time consuming as people think. The fanbase will embrace it as well, regardless if you claim otherwise and you have to weigh whether new art is worth less to you than new content. And then knock it into your brain that you are only 1/10,000,000th of the WoW playerbase.

Do you have sources for any of the rhetoric you posted or do you just always make stuff up and try to assert it as fact?
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Mage
@ people who like the current models because they are cartoony -
the problem, as i understand it, is a polygon count problem more than a style problem. if blizz revamped the toons, they'd still be cartoony.
what sucks right now is that even if they add new hairstyles to old races, because the polygon count is so low, it looks like trash. have you seen any of the newer hairstyles on the older races? bleagh. even the animations are stiffer because the joints etc. are less high tech.

edit*
that said, i recognize what a massive and dangerous undertaking this would be. so i'm not mad at blizz - nobody should be.
Edited by Navii on 1/20/2012 1:58 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Troll Priest
i love the way my toon looks.
Reply Quote
85 Troll Shaman
They were to busy making new boss models for DS to.... oh wait.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Paladin
Since when does blizzard care if the customers complain? Just do the models and deal with any backlash. Your entire forums are nothing but complaints anyway.
Reply Quote
85 Human Priest
01/19/2012 07:23 PMPosted by Zarhym
We want to figure out the best way to introduce such a feature without shocking a huge chunk of the playerbase that doesn't really think about how their character's features could be improved every time they log into the game.

Getting really sick of this excuse ^
People have been asking for model updates since Blood Elves and Draenei were released.
You then released WotLK AND Catacylsm in that time, and Cataclysm completely revamped talent systems, and the entire world that's been around since Vanilla.

So how have you not figured out the best way yet?
Reply Quote
7 Undead Rogue
Its going to be amusing when were playing the que game in org to see a big blurry 2000 model tauren standing next to a 2012 Panda model.
Reply Quote
86 Night Elf Warrior

TL;DR... Updating the models is not as hard and time consuming as people think. The fanbase will embrace it as well, regardless if you claim otherwise and you have to weigh whether new art is worth less to you than new content. And then knock it into your brain that you are only 1/10,000,000th of the WoW playerbase.

Do you have sources for any of the rhetoric you posted or do you just always make stuff up and try to assert it as fact?

As someone who is involved in software development: What he stated is fact. Updating something as widely used as player models would take a significant amount of time, effort, and resources. You seem to not realize how much of the game depends on the physical character models. Just look at how many animations your character can have. Those all have to be redone. Armor has to be re-seated on all races/genders. This is after they decide on an art direction and this isn't even taking into account that they would put forth a great deal of effort making them as good as possible so that they don't have to update them again for quite some time.

Yes, you are 1/10,000,000 of the player-base. Your opinion is only your own and you cannot speak for the player-base. People always find a way to complain about something, and claim they are the majority. Sure they're the vocal majority, but the funny thing about game forums is that the vocal majority is usually the overall minority.

Such self-entitlement in this thread. Here's something your parents were supposed to teach you: You are not entitled to anything in life. If you aren't happy with the update schedules, nobody is forcing you to play the game. Blizz is working hard on getting us updates and they listen to the community. Get off your high horse and realize that.
Reply Quote
80 Night Elf Druid
I hope they not only change character models but animations as well

:| Cast animations are awful on female druid
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
01/20/2012 02:28 PMPosted by Streamline
We want to figure out the best way to introduce such a feature without shocking a huge chunk of the playerbase that doesn't really think about how their character's features could be improved every time they log into the game.

Getting really sick of this excuse ^
People have been asking for model updates since Blood Elves and Draenei were released.
You then released WotLK AND Catacylsm in that time, and Cataclysm completely revamped talent systems, and the entire world that's been around since Vanilla.

So how have you not figured out the best way yet?

It's a nice way of saying "It'll be a selling point of Mists of Pandaria and everyone will go 'WOW BLIZZARD IS GIVING US NEW MODELS IN THE NEW EXPANSION THEY OWN!!!'"
Reply Quote
87 Blood Elf Paladin
I look at my charater(s) 100% of the time when I log in. A little updating would be nice. I'm not talk about just Belves, I'm talking about my classic Forsaken and Troll females. Alliance needs some love as well.

Zones are great an all, but how often do you see some of them? Unlike your character.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Paladin

As someone who is involved in software development: What he stated is fact. Updating something as widely used as player models would take a significant amount of time, effort, and resources. You seem to not realize how much of the game depends on the physical character models. Just look at how many animations your character can have. Those all have to be redone. Armor has to be re-seated on all races/genders. This is after they decide on an art direction and this isn't even taking into account that they would put forth a great deal of effort making them as good as possible so that they don't have to update them again for quite some time.

Yes, you are 1/10,000,000 of the player-base. Your opinion is only your own and you cannot speak for the player-base. People always find a way to complain about something, and claim they are the majority. Sure they're the vocal majority, but the funny thing about game forums is that the vocal majority is usually the overall minority.

Such self-entitlement in this thread. Here's something your parents were supposed to teach you: You are not entitled to anything in life. If you aren't happy with the update schedules, nobody is forcing you to play the game. Blizz is working hard on getting us updates and they listen to the community. Get off your high horse and realize that.

Yeah time, resources and effort. They have the time and resources, effort seems to be the biggest issue. Exhibit number one is the most recent, Dragon Soul. Should be named rehashed soul.
Edited by Taxem on 1/20/2012 2:44 PM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]