Question to the Higher ups (new models)

88 Blood Elf Paladin
The problem with new char models lies new armor models as well. It would require a ton of resources that I wouldn't bother with if I was running this company. The game already makes a ton of cash on its current offerings.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
01/22/2012 09:45 PMPosted by Moonfïre
who cares about pigtails

I do. Very much so.
Reply Quote
85 Troll Death Knight
what would be really cool is giving certain races new features like letting dreani be the broken ones version or w/e they are, letting trolls choose to be thoes bulkier drakari/ zandalari trolls, letting orcs be blackrock orcs , let tauren be thoes buffalo type tauren from northrend etc. etc.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Hunter
Right now it's just difficult to give any sort of estimate on when new models might be available.

There's a reason some things get done and others don't. It's called 'Metrics'.

You want to re-vamp the whole guild system with perks, achievements, transfers? You want to herd players into mega-guilds? It would take a lot of resources right? What public company would give you the resources to do that just on a whim of 'it might make the game better'? They wouldn't... 'cos it would be financially irresponsible. So, you produce a feasibility report. You demonstrate the benefits to the game that such a system would bring. You show in dollars and cents that big guilds are beneficial financially to the game. You table all the data you have at your disposal (which is free and considerable, courtesy the dept that deals with subs and cancellations) that shows retention rates of players correlated to the size of their guild.

'Hence if we make these changes, Activision Blizzards wins'. 'Ok, here's the resources. Make the changes'.

New Character models?
How do you measure the increase in financial benefit to Activision Blizzard of new character models? There is no already existing data. It would take a market research survey of players who cancelled or are likely to cancel to find out if new character models will bring them back or keep them playing. Costs money.

'We don't have any firm evidence that new player models will be financially favourable - but the players really really want them and have wanted them for years'. 'Yer. Tuff. Screw them. While they're still willing to play and pay, we don't feel any pressure to provide new models. Use the money on something that demonstrably will bring us more profit.'
Reply Quote
100 Goblin Death Knight
:( Why do I feel like we are being fed a large amount of BS here?

∙ There is always an expansion being made; this is a poor excuse.
∙ You have plenty of people willing to work for Blizzard.
∙ You have plenty of cash to offer to fill the few positions required to make this happen.
∙ I would think most of the WoW population:
... ∙ Understands this will take some time.
... ∙ Would be willing to see 1 race get updated per 2-3 months.

There are many ways to work around the schedule and reduce the cost.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
01/22/2012 10:54 PMPosted by Jhanz
And making sure the quest greens from 85-90 are unique, that's super important.

That actually is kind of important, unless you don't use transmogrification at all.

Now that it's in the game, every piece of armor and every weapon matters. If they don't have unique looks, they should at least come in new colors.

The only argument against the laziness of not putting effort into every piece of gear that's made is "it doesn't matter, no one will wear it for long." Transmog removes that excuse: time for Blizz to step up. There's a reason the vast majority of greens and blues that's Transmogged comes from Classic and BC, despite the repetition found there (it was 70 levels after all) rather than the copy/paste epidemic that plagued Lich King and Cataclysm leveling gear.
Edited by Daystar on 1/23/2012 11:47 AM PST
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Warrior
Please fix Worgen capes, I can't stand how my shield cuts through the middle of it when its on my back. I like capes, i like shields, but with worgen they clash and I'm forced to not display my cape so i can show off my sexy Blackhorn Bulwark.
Reply Quote
83 Blood Elf Warlock
So my question is, Why not transfer *more resources to getting new player models out if a whole lot of people want to see them right this moment? Do we as a people need to gather 1 thousand signatures to make this happen or is it a "Too bad, soo sad" situation?

Sutei - Daggerspine

It's absolutely not a "too bad" situation, Sutei. I know the concept of us having near unlimited resources to throw at whatever we want to is intriguing, but it's just not the case. We don't have an army of artists on layaway that we can transfer onto a project.

Just the same, we don't necessarily want to exponentially expand the head count of the art team to ensure a specific project gets done. There's a synergy we strive for on each of our development teams. In fact, we go to pretty great lengths to vet applicants whenever hiring for a new position. We need to know our iterative design philosophy and our core values are shared. So, if we were to hire several new artists to get this project finished, you certainly wouldn't see the results of that "right this moment."

Right now it's just difficult to give any sort of estimate on when new models might be available. Whenever a new expansion is in development there are many, many requests for new art assets. We're elbow deep in designing new gear sets, fleshing out the environments, finishing up several new creature models, etc.

If all of this makes you feel that much further away from ever seeing new character models, I can say the project is still a regular topic of discussion for us. We want to figure out the best way to introduce such a feature without shocking a huge chunk of the playerbase that doesn't really think about how their character's features could be improved every time they log into the game.

I really don't understand the problem of updating models during down periods, like in between the expansion or just splitting the resources of updating one race.

It just seems you excuse is "We can't do it one shot, so we won't bother with it at all goodbye."

If a freaking computing can pipeline or divide its resources for completing multiple program executions so could company with your resources.

You just making excuses for an obviously easy answer. Divide your resources to a update a race once at a time. You can't say your team is so with content patch art that you can't extend the release date (Which is up to your subjection) for single race update.

Sorry your excuses are just that excuses. You clearly need to re-evaluate your time sharing on projects.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Rogue
Right now it's just difficult to give any sort of estimate on when new models might be available. Whenever a new expansion is in development there are many, many requests for new art assets. We're elbow deep in designing new gear sets, fleshing out the environments, finishing up several new creature models, etc.

If you spent so much time and resources designing the new armor sets...how come most of them are so god damn ugly? I mean those greens from 80-85 were just terrible. I had to transmog them just so I can play.

We rather fight re-skinned mobs so you can have time to design new race models. I'm fairly 100% sure most people would agree with me. Half the time I'm killing mobs...I don't even care what I'm killing or what they look like or how much detail they have unless it was a boss or some kind of important quest.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Death Knight
Ever notice how sexy and hot that undead female looks in the original wow book that came with the game, but how terrible female undead actually look (besides sylvannas...drool)
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Rogue
01/24/2012 08:38 AMPosted by Chidôri
Ever notice how sexy and hot that undead female looks in the original wow book that came with the game, but how terrible female undead actually look (besides sylvannas...drool)

The undead male on the loading screen also looked pretty cool. My original 60 Undead Rogue is my favorite character but I really really wished that our pants weren't torn at the knee and that we should of had the option to choose if we want to be hunch backed or not. If male undeads had a straight spinal posture...I would never play any other race again.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
So my question is, Why not transfer *more resources to getting new player models out if a whole lot of people want to see them right this moment? Do we as a people need to gather 1 thousand signatures to make this happen or is it a "Too bad, soo sad" situation?

Sutei - Daggerspine

It's absolutely not a "too bad" situation, Sutei. I know the concept of us having near unlimited resources to throw at whatever we want to is intriguing, but it's just not the case. We don't have an army of artists on layaway that we can transfer onto a project.

Just the same, we don't necessarily want to exponentially expand the head count of the art team to ensure a specific project gets done. There's a synergy we strive for on each of our development teams. In fact, we go to pretty great lengths to vet applicants whenever hiring for a new position. We need to know our iterative design philosophy and our core values are shared. So, if we were to hire several new artists to get this project finished, you certainly wouldn't see the results of that "right this moment."

If all of this makes you feel that much further away from ever seeing new character models, I can say the project is still a regular topic of discussion for us. We want to figure out the best way to introduce such a feature without shocking a huge chunk of the playerbase that doesn't really think about how their character's features could be improved every time they log into the game.
I would really love to see new character models.Don't get me wrong i love WoW and all.But i can't stand to take my characters gear off.The current models look very Disneyish which was appropriate for the time they where created.Unfortunately video game graphics lose flavor quickly with the updating tech.Since we are all almost sure we will never see a WoW 2 come out.At least give us some new character models.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Mage
01/19/2012 07:23 PMPosted by Zarhym

id love to see updates implemented, and i understand this point though. MANY if not most players are more concerned with gearing up gearing out and just being able to inflate their egos with a number and some acheivements. of course this isnt nessicarily a bad thing but i feel like the soul of the warcaft universe is being lost.

if it just turns into a shell for an mmo than any other developer can create a game on the same premise, be successful and syphon WoW playerbase.

but its little things that make wow, wow. the iconic feel is beginning to taste diluted.

Look at it this way, youre training to be a.... well anything and you feel like. You must focus all of your energy into whatever it is to improve your performance. But with all this tunnel vision you begin to forget to brush your teeth and wash your hair or shave, you begin to get temperamental and a bit quirky and aloof because of your focus. Soon your friends and family get concerned youre not the person they grew to love anymore. Infact some people you knew dont even recognize you anymore. Soon youre a lonely recluse. This i think more than, anything will be the inevitable death of wow.

Becuase they forgot who they were and stopped caring about the little things. Instead they were focused on numbers.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Warrior
I would really love new character models.

Horde males: Stand upright instead of stooped and hunchbacked. You never see them portrayed that way in media. And wearing tabards is near pointless cause you can't see the symbol.

Orc Males: Didn't the Horde absorb Orcs from Outlands. Can we have skin tones like Outland Orcs. Ya know, with out the fel taint? If this violates lore then never mind.

BElf Males: Stand a bit more normal, less chest thrust please.
BElf Females: would it kill them to Sometimes pay attention instead of Always looking off in the distance. We are in a war here! Focus!

Forsaken: Stand a bit more upright OR lean to another side maybe. Give us an OPTION so our shiny new gear doesn't look like garbage. After all, we did replace our gear that we were risen with. No More Bones please. Our walking gait and broken stance is "Dead" enough. Maybe even give us another dance: the Monster Mash or Thriller's zombie dance.

Troll Males: again, stand upright, they don't have to squat ALL the time. Makes me think they are "fertilizing the lawn". Well that's probably just me.

Dances: Let us learn cross faction dances. I'm so tired of peanut-butter-jelly-time I could throw up! And of course I would pass on the BElf Dance. But perhaps others would want it in their repertoire. Make an achievement of it.

Reply Quote
85 Tauren Warrior
01/19/2012 07:23 PMPosted by Zarhym

Forgive me for being skeptical, but from what I've seen, each Wrath and Cataclysm Armor models all seemed to consist of three or four designs and a bunch of recolors.

After BC (and I'm not a fan of BC) I have become less and less interested in all of the armor models because frankly, once you've got quest armor, PvP armor, and tier armor(s), then I've pretty much seen all you've got. Everything else is just recolors.

If they are just going to be recolors, why not allow players to recolor our own gear via crafting or even from NPC Blacksmiths, for a fee off course. Would this save money on art while at the same time giving players more customization?
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Hunter
Wow is need of a facelift and model updates would be perfect to bring back people to wow who has grown tired of looking at the same toon models for years.

Christ I would even take more character options like scars or tattoos at this point. We need more then a couple of hairstyles ever couple of years. I would give back the whole cata expac for a character update esp. for the ally toons. Ally looks super outdated.
Reply Quote
80 Worgen Warlock
Oi! I like the current models but I agree, new emotes, new dances(stares at human female) and/or new cast animations

DEFINATELY NEW JOKES!!!
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
Give every single race, draenei pigtails. = instawin.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]