Question to the Higher ups (new models)

85 Draenei Shaman

If all of this makes you feel that much further away from ever seeing new character models, I can say the project is still a regular topic of discussion for us. We want to figure out the best way to introduce such a feature without shocking a huge chunk of the playerbase that doesn't really think about how their character's features could be improved every time they log into the game.

what about just increasing polygon count.. i mean it doesn't have to be brand spanking new.. just improved on the inside so to speak. start with little things.. back when i started playing you all added a little change to how the human female eyes looked.. made them look less like they were staring vacantly out into space. very subtle and not really too noticeable but it did what it was intended. why not do the same thing for the rest of the models?

why does it have to be all or nothing?
Edited by Ardrea on 2/3/2012 11:47 AM PST
Reply Quote
86 Worgen Hunter
Im really getting sick and tired of the poor quality of the current models... i want to be a night elf or orc but they just look so terrible, im stuck with worgen... Blizzard needs to see that this is what the majority want... its getting to the point of frustration and anger....... ARGH *ANGRYFACE*
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Death Knight
Another voice venting for updated character models across the board with more features. WoW is an older game and it looks it.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Would you settle for one less dungeon in MoP for new classic models

and if they said they couldnt do it with that little resources

Would you settle one less Tier of raiding.

I would definitely.

I love orcs, but I always wish they looked more savage rather than somewhat confused by what's going on around them.

Plus, their /roar emote should sound like the orc roar from the original cinematic.

Agreed
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Death Knight
Having done a bit of 3D work in the past, i can't help but smirk every time a blue blames no new models on finite resources. It seriously does not take that long for *one* developer to sculpt and rig a couple dozen new characters with a couple dozen appearance tweaks each. It's been seven years and we're really getting the lie that a month of man hours (and that's being generous) couldn't be spared to keep models current?

Even if all the animations have to be redone thanks to the new skeleton, that's at most another month of man hours for *one* developer to update all the old races, again being generous considering how short the animations really are and the key frames of all the existing animations to reference to simply mimic the poses. Please stop feeding us an unbelievable lie Blizzard. You have had years and you have a lot of members on your team.
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Death Knight
02/07/2012 11:54 AMPosted by Shadow

We already have settled for one less tier of raiding apparently. 4.1's complete lack of raids says hi. Abyssal Maw was scrapped. What did we get in return?
Edited by Glyff on 2/7/2012 12:17 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Having done a bit of 3D work in the past, i can't help but smirk every time a blue blames no new models on finite resources. It seriously does not take that long for *one* developer to sculpt and rig a couple dozen new characters with a couple dozen appearance tweaks each. It's been seven years and we're really getting the lie that a month of man hours (and that's being generous) couldn't be spared to keep models current?

Even if all the animations have to be redone thanks to the new skeleton, that's at most another month of man hours for *one* developer to update all the old races, again being generous considering how short the animations really are and the key frames of all the existing animations to reference to simply mimic the poses. Please stop feeding us an unbelievable lie Blizzard. You have had years and you have a lot of members on your team.

Well what would you give up, if you had to. Just to get new models.

Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Rogue
I would trade the 1/2 of the last content patch, Siege of Wyrmrest Temple.

If it came down to it, Fall of Deathwing.

Although I think the new models would take more work.

Sarcasm?..... maybe, maybe not.

oops ^^ thats me Shadow
Edited by Wolfe on 2/7/2012 12:22 PM PST
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Death Knight
Well what would you give up, if you had to. Just to get new models.

They already have been making concessions and shortcuts on development with no apparent return. rehashed dungeons say hi, no raids in 4.1 say hi, abyssal maw scrapped says hi. So since we already gave all that up we should have something to show for it.

Here's a thought - hire a guy to make the next blizz store mount with a week's worth of work, sell it, and use the proceeds to pay his salary so he can spend the other 51 weeks updating everything. I'm not sure what he'll do with the other 10 months after he updates all the models though since the amount of work this entails really doesn't take such a dire amount of resources as the blues desperately want you to believe.
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Death Knight

02/07/2012 12:21 PMPosted by Wolfe
I would trade the 1/2 of the last content patch, Siege of Wyrmrest Temple.

Environmental modelling for Dragon Soul - take existing wyrmrest temple and make it look all crumbly, throw in the existing tentacle and gaping maw doodads. Create a flat ocean with a few cloud mapped cylinders. Use the existing maelstrom environment, add platforms. I could have given them an A for effort if they didn't use the maelstrom until this fight and put the entrance to deepholm in the mountains somewhere like they originally planned.

I mean come on, ICC they actually had to make from the ground up, and even it was way less complex than Sunwell Plateau. Development complexity is declining, however, they pretty much have to build from the ground up in Mists, so no cheap gimmicks will do.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Priest
How many years has it been since TBC? That's how many years the community has asked to update the classic races to what the Blood Elfs and Draenie look like.

We've seen a bunch of updated NPC models but no player models. Why is that? Faction leaders have been updated, some a few times.

I just don't understand why all these years have gone by and it's still in "discussion mode".
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Rogue
Well, like many things a consistent presence on the forums is important. It why I always comeback to ensure these threads are within the first 3 pages to encourage player input, positive or negative(just not lock thread negative).

They are a business, I wouldn't be surprised if they models didn't already exists and marketing is just holding that "card" to bolster a low quarter. It makes sense. The Q4 2011 take place on February 9 2012. If the trend of the current sub loss remains the same this could be a conference call that might have some announcements to lure in old and new subs.
Edited by Wolfe on 2/7/2012 1:09 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid

I just don't understand why all these years have gone by and it's still in "discussion mode".

This "discussion mode" is killing me.

I would like too some teasers even, just a taste of what we can expect.
Reply Quote
19 Night Elf Hunter
I can deal with one or two less raids.

I can deal with one or two less gear sets.

I'd even deal with less instances...I really can.

I can deal with less content,if that is what it will take, to update my model. Seeing Illidan, in the 'Well of Eternity' instance, (on my main), makes me jealous that I look so... rudimentary...in comparison.

If less content = update the character models...then let it be so.
Edited by Sondorian on 2/7/2012 4:37 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
I can deal with one or two less raids.

I can deal with one or two less gear sets.

I'd even deal with less instances...I really can.

I can deal with less content,if that is what it will take, to update my model. Seeing Illidan, in the 'Well of Eternity' instance, (on my main), makes me jealous that I look so... rudimentary...in comparison.

If less content = update the character models...then let it be so.

Was he ever badass. GRR
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Death Knight
What do we get if we give up Deathwing's human form? That should free up some resources at the cost of one appearance on a low level quest in badlands.
Reply Quote
70 Human Rogue
We've seen a bunch of updated NPC models but no player models. Why is that? Faction leaders have been updated, some a few times.

i couldn't agree more

01/19/2012 07:23 PMPosted by Zarhym
So, if we were to hire several new artists to get this project finished, you certainly wouldn't see the results of that "right this moment."
how many years has it been since we've wanted updates on new models. and for hiring new ppl here. this guy is amazing! http://www.youtube.com/user/Intaanis?feature=g-u-u -you should hire him. if not its called contracting people. My parents company does it all the time, you come in, sign a contract, do the work, get paid for the work, and finish the work,and there ya go. No if, ands, or buts. need a update on the design on the model? well then all you have to do is get the person who worked on it to hand over the data about it and do what yall are good at, hot fixes lol. its not a hard deal. you just gatta put a bit of "omph" in it
Reply Quote
87 Night Elf Hunter
I agree, with while Blizzard is preparing for the next expansion, which brings ALOT of work to the table, with no release date at hand they shouldn't be so pressed to get pandaria finished that they neglect there previous projects. All the while to simply hire more artists isn't the solution , highering maybe one or two wouldn't hurt at all. this aforementioned http://www.youtube.com/user/Intaanis seems like a wonderful candidate for such a thing, his attention to detail is amazing and several of his works already have a place in wow in which they should reside. as a player and a consumer of WoW I am in no position to say how you should run your business or make your product. To try such is rude, as such is to say my judgement is greater than that of the company as a whole, and its not. I would only like to say that a whole arm of artists is not needed , just maybe an extra one or two during high traffic assignments.

Sincerely, Saradre.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]