Question to the Higher ups (new models)

90 Goblin Hunter
01/19/2012 07:23 PMPosted by Zarhym
We don't have an army of artists on layaway that we can transfer onto a project.

Umm we as in 8 million people give or take pay 15 dollars a month im sure hiring a team of people to customize new character designs wont break the bank blizz. It would take what a month maybe to have it done? Not that hard to make the game look better.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Hunter
Replying to my good Troll brother nearer the beginning of this thread any good fantasy fan knows trolls are indestructible, granted lava might be an issue for trolls but we all know unless a troll is completely incinerated they just regenerate the missing part. You going without shoes is no big deal to your toon any more than it is to a dranei or worgen.
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Rogue
I want to be able to move more then two parts of my face.
Reply Quote
85 Orc Warlock
This needed to be necroed again for warlock class problems of all things...
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
AMAZINGLY well said... i agree
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Rogue
We don't have an army of artists on layaway that we can transfer onto a project.

Umm we as in 8 million people give or take pay 15 dollars a month im sure hiring a team of people to customize new character designs wont break the bank blizz. It would take what a month maybe to have it done? Not that hard to make the game look better.
Wow, the words just go in one of your ears and out the other don't they. They can't just hire anybody. If you could draw yourself out of a paperbag you might understand why.

It takes a very specific aesthetic sense to be hired on WOW's art team. You have to share their design philosophy, you can't just be "good at drawing" or painting.

And if you are the type of artist they're looking for, they're not just going to hire you and throw you to the curb when they're done with you.

This is not an issue of money, and as long as you continue to beat that straw man you just demonstrate your inability to grasp the problem.

AND we already know they are currently working on this issue. At the last Blizzcon they told us they already pretty much have the entire dwarf model updated and ready for release in MOP.
Edited by Elrith on 7/13/2012 5:26 PM PDT
Reply Quote
81 Night Elf Priest
I would LOVE new character models!
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Necro junkies! And yes, new models would work fine. Even though we wear gear most of the game that would cover up anything new on us. I'd actually rather more animations for melee/casting.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warlock
Welcome to the Blizzard team New Applicant Name! We are only hiring you on for a couple months so we can meet the workload that players demand of us for expansions. We won't really need you for the patches in between expansions. After you've completed a project you will be fired, but we'll give you your own tankard of terror and a Blizzard labeled polo that you can cherish forever. We look forward to hiring you back on with Oozing of the Murloc King Expansion in 2015. We'll also give you a good reference if you didn't suck.

OR

In recent news Blizzard has signed an agreement with digital art company

Lazy Outsourced Company who works inefficiently and ultimately most of their art gets scrapped in order to bring out more content for their Mists of Pandaria Expansion. If all goes well (which it won't) they'll sign an agreement to get help with future expansions when blizzard needs extra artists and coders.
Edited by Racklinc on 7/29/2012 11:57 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Warrior
01/19/2012 07:23 PMPosted by Zarhym

Then you know what you need to do.
Reply Quote
86 Human Mage
So my question is, Why not transfer *more resources to getting new player models out if a whole lot of people want to see them right this moment? Do we as a people need to gather 1 thousand signatures to make this happen or is it a "Too bad, soo sad" situation?

Sutei - Daggerspine

It's absolutely not a "too bad" situation, Sutei. I know the concept of us having near unlimited resources to throw at whatever we want to is intriguing, but it's just not the case. We don't have an army of artists on layaway that we can transfer onto a project.

Just the same, we don't necessarily want to exponentially expand the head count of the art team to ensure a specific project gets done. There's a synergy we strive for on each of our development teams. In fact, we go to pretty great lengths to vet applicants whenever hiring for a new position. We need to know our iterative design philosophy and our core values are shared. So, if we were to hire several new artists to get this project finished, you certainly wouldn't see the results of that "right this moment."

Right now it's just difficult to give any sort of estimate on when new models might be available. Whenever a new expansion is in development there are many, many requests for new art assets. We're elbow deep in designing new gear sets, fleshing out the environments, finishing up several new creature models, etc.

If all of this makes you feel that much further away from ever seeing new character models, I can say the project is still a regular topic of discussion for us. We want to figure out the best way to introduce such a feature without shocking a huge chunk of the playerbase that doesn't really think about how their character's features could be improved every time they log into the game.

Please people, observe what this man has said, and soak it in! Stop complaining as there's much more important things!
Reply Quote
I think human males should have chin-straps personally it would look amazing :D
Reply Quote
32 Human Mage
To be honest I'm sure there are plenty of unemployed artists, new graduates, or artists aspiring to work in the video games industry who would jump on the chance to work with Blizzard even as a contractor. They don't need to hire RFT employees or even outsource this to a company to make more progress on revamping character models.

Most contractors only work for the duration of a specific game or for a certain length of time and so that would work perfectly for a project focused on revamping character models. Or at least give the contractors grunt work so that the current artists could have more time to focus on the character models that way we would see the experienced artists skill on them.

Even if they let the contractors go at the end of their time period, choosing not to renew their contract or not hire them on RFT, then that is still a great resume piece for those artists to walk away with.

I'm sure there is plenty of art that needs done on a consistent basis and that they have an ever growing list of work that needs done, but it will always be like that. Unless they take steps now to make sure they're putting a focus on this, as it is important to the community, then they'll never have the resources to get it done. After MoP they'll be working on the next expansion pack and their reasoning will stay the same as what we're given now.
Reply Quote
87 Worgen Druid
Please put more time into updating the old models!
Reply Quote
So my question is, Why not transfer *more resources to getting new player models out if a whole lot of people want to see them right this moment? Do we as a people need to gather 1 thousand signatures to make this happen or is it a "Too bad, soo sad" situation?

Sutei - Daggerspine

It's absolutely not a "too bad" situation, Sutei. I know the concept of us having near unlimited resources to throw at whatever we want to is intriguing, but it's just not the case. We don't have an army of artists on layaway that we can transfer onto a project.

Just the same, we don't necessarily want to exponentially expand the head count of the art team to ensure a specific project gets done. There's a synergy we strive for on each of our development teams. In fact, we go to pretty great lengths to vet applicants whenever hiring for a new position. We need to know our iterative design philosophy and our core values are shared. So, if we were to hire several new artists to get this project finished, you certainly wouldn't see the results of that "right this moment."

Right now it's just difficult to give any sort of estimate on when new models might be available. Whenever a new expansion is in development there are many, many requests for new art assets. We're elbow deep in designing new gear sets, fleshing out the environments, finishing up several new creature models, etc.

If all of this makes you feel that much further away from ever seeing new character models, I can say the project is still a regular topic of discussion for us. We want to figure out the best way to introduce such a feature without shocking a huge chunk of the playerbase that doesn't really think about how their character's features could be improved every time they log into the game.

please if you change anything. Human male hand looks weird
Reply Quote
80 Human Mage
it would be cool if the "new" hairstyles weren't fluorescent poorly cropped half-assed scribbles.

would you like me to throw more money at my screen?
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Druid
Zarhym's response is more or less the exact same response the blues have been giving to the community for years whenever this request is raised. What he's saying about the finite art resources and the vast number of higher ranking priorities is true.

It seems that there is always going to be a limited number of available artists and there are always going to be features that give far more bang for the buck than redoing character models. That will never change. No amount of signatures on a petition will influence this.

Sorry to sound so pessimistic but I'm going to just say that it's never going to happen. If this is a fact of WoW development that will not change, then the character model redesign will never be a high priority to the WoW dev team.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]