Question to the Higher ups (new models)

85 Tauren Paladin
EQ added new models in 2001, they also had a toggle where you could choose between the old and new models. Its 2012 and blizzard cant put this in? I think its clear the income from wow is not staying in wow.
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Druid
Personally I can deal with some monsters which I may see 4 times in Pandaria getting lazier models if it means the player models which I always see, and will actually see after Pandaria, won't look like outdated garbage.
Reply Quote
61 Gnome Mage
01/19/2012 08:21 PMPosted by Aceru
but you seemed to have little problem updating the druid forms, and guess what? that worked out fine. There were no riots, nobody threatened you with death, everybody just carried on as normal with their new models.

While I agree with you overall, I'd like to point out that there was a HUGE amount of... er... "discussion" on the forums because people didn't necessarily like how the new Druid models were designed, nor how they were made available (linked to the humanoid form's hair color). It approached a riot at times, with players arguing heatedly both for and against various aspects of it. And those were just for one class-- so I understand the need for Blizz to be sure they do it right.

01/19/2012 08:27 PMPosted by Thelootgnome
But that being said, if they were to introduce new models I would rather they take as much time as they need to get it right rather than rushing out some half-baked design filled with bugginess.
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Druid

Just the same, we don't necessarily want to exponentially expand the head count of the art team to ensure a specific project gets done.

dear blizzard,
please exponentially expand the head count of your art team so that when i graduate, you will hire me. a game design degree is expensive and i will work for you. thank you :)
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Mage
01/19/2012 07:23 PMPosted by Zarhym
a huge chunk of the playerbase that doesn't really think about how their character's features could be improved every time they log into the game.

Transmogrification was successful because of this reason. The character is who we are in this game, having it look the best it can be is essential, and i'd argue that while they may not be thinking of it every time they log in, it's a reasonable assumption that many people perceive a distinction between the detail within their character and the increasingly improved environment around them. Even if they do so only occasionally, isn't that enough to justify pursuing this beyond a discussion held at meetings?

Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Rogue
I dont understand why its such a low priority. Add some more polygons to the new models and leave options to use the older models.

How can blizzard seriously be okay with people buying their game, loading it and seeing their characters look like they were made 7 years ago. Looks pretty bad on the game as a whole

kinda mind blowing
Reply Quote
85 Undead Warlock
Personally I don't see what the huge fuss is about upgrading character models. Considering we are pretty much always wearing gear, you never see it anyway! Not to mention that it's not like you have your camera zoomed in that close where you really notice much of a difference with things like that.

I completely understand that it is a bit ridiculous that these graphics are outdated by years and years now and that newer MMO's graphics and models put them to shame. However, considering Blizz does have a limited budget, I personally feel there are much more important things they could put their resources towards.
Reply Quote
61 Gnome Mage
Considering we are pretty much always wearing gear, you never see it anyway! Not to mention that it's not like you have your camera zoomed in that close where you really notice much of a difference with things like that.

No, it's not like you have your camera zoomed in enough. Fine, but why would you assume everyone plays with the same camera zoom that you do?

Besides, much of the gear is just skinned onto the model itself, so the quality of the models does make a difference to how the gear looks. And I often have my helm hidden-- it would be nice not to have such pixelated hair on Dwarves and Gnomes (and other races too, but the shorter races seem to be worse in this regard).
Edited by Grubbleman on 1/19/2012 9:37 PM PST
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Shaman
Another point on models.
How the HECK are the old ones going to show off monk moves? They're going to look soooooo bad. Wonder where the blues went? There are some genuine concerns actually being discussed civilly here.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Mage
01/19/2012 09:36 PMPosted by Grubbleman
Besides, much of the gear is just skinned onto the model itself, so the quality of the models does make a difference to how the gear looks

This is true I believe for chest and leg items (which when you think about it are a substantial chunk of your character.)

01/19/2012 09:31 PMPosted by Asçendant
However, considering Blizz does have a limited budget, I personally feel there are much more important things they could put their resources towards.

In Zar's post, he says that the art team is working on enemy creatures, gear and zones. I'm not saying those things aren't important, but I will see those creatures for about 10 seconds until they die, that gear until I transmog it and those zones until I out level them. I'm sure they are also working on other things, but none I would argue that we see more of than our own characters, which are the most outdated of all things listed above.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Warrior
They did say at blizzcon that they are working on them slowly.

I can see where they are coming from. Look at the outcry when they changed the druid tree form, or the troll druid fight form. people hated, and still hate the flight form. people begged for the ability to glyph it back. it was something done inside of a patch, and look how bad it turned out. the bat cant even perch, it just floats. it feels half assed, because it probably is! its just a zg bat, blown up.

If it takes blizzard development time within a unreleased expansion to release quality models because that's what their primary art and design teams are focused on, i'm cool with that. i'd much rather a long wait than a patch where my undead can no longer sit or something like that.

In saying that, those youtube links are a great start and fantastic for amateurs, but from a professional game designer, i would expect better.

i think what we really need, is a sneak peak or preview of where things are at. don't release the finished things until they are done, but give people something. some concept art, a basic model, a face, something to foam at the mouth over (good or bad!). get some hype going. at the moment, it really feels like nothing has been done because they havent seen what you the devs have. "be patient" can only go so far before people get bored and fatigued over the idea. which is worse, because then when they do come out, people won't react as passionately.
Edited by Faaip on 1/19/2012 9:48 PM PST
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Warrior
How many more millions does Blizzard need before they can justify hiring a few more hands to the WoW team?

They're just milking this cow with a skeleton crew rather than giving it the attention it deserves. TBC showed what they are (were) capable of, how exactly do they justify less content when they're clearly bringing in a much higher profit that the days of TBC?
Reply Quote
61 Gnome Mage

No, it's not like you have your camera zoomed in enough. Fine, but why would you assume everyone plays with the same camera zoom that you do?

Because I assume most people looking at the forums have at least half a brain. If someone is raiding and/or PVP'ing and they have their camera zoomed into their toon, they are 100% fail. Now I don't know what you personally do in game where you think it's normal to be running around with your camera zoomed in, but considering the primary focus for most individuals is PVP or PVE, I was talking to the vast majority here.

I swear, it seems like every day, more and more people love to post comments just to disagree with others. I really wonder how many people actually believe their side of the argument and how many just do it because they have nothing better to do with themselves...

Because the only thing people do whenever they're logged on is raid and PvP?

You shouldn't make so many assumptions about others based upon your own tastes or experiences, and you most certainly shouldn't then proclaim that anyone who is different from you is a failure. Ad hominem and Straw-man attacks make you look foolish. You might want to read your last paragraph and then take a look in the mirror.
Edited by Grubbleman on 1/19/2012 9:49 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Warlock
Another point on models.
How the HECK are the old ones going to show off monk moves? They're going to look soooooo bad. Wonder where the blues went? There are some genuine concerns actually being discussed civilly here.

I kind of thought character revamps for Pandaria were a given for this reason alone...

I do still hope the politics are in regard to their introduction rather than the project having been scrapped or backburnered for the politics of the possible QQ incoming when they finally do come out.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]