Question to the Higher ups (new models)

90 Gnome Priest

Just the same, we don't necessarily want to exponentially expand the head count of the art team to ensure a specific project gets done. There's a synergy we strive for on each of our development teams. In fact, we go to pretty great lengths to vet applicants whenever hiring for a new position. We need to know our iterative design philosophy and our core values are shared. So, if we were to hire several new artists to get this project finished, you certainly wouldn't see the results of that "right this moment."

I think I first heard this about 4 years ago.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Mage

It's absolutely not a "too bad" situation, Sutei. I know the concept of us having near unlimited resources to throw at whatever we want to is intriguing, but it's just not the case. We don't have an army of artists on layaway that we can transfer onto a project.

Just the same, we don't necessarily want to exponentially expand the head count of the art team to ensure a specific project gets done. There's a synergy we strive for on each of our development teams. In fact, we go to pretty great lengths to vet applicants whenever hiring for a new position. We need to know our iterative design philosophy and our core values are shared. So, if we were to hire several new artists to get this project finished, you certainly wouldn't see the results of that "right this moment."

Right now it's just difficult to give any sort of estimate on when new models might be available. Whenever a new expansion is in development there are many, many requests for new art assets. We're elbow deep in designing new gear sets, fleshing out the environments, finishing up several new creature models, etc.

If all of this makes you feel that much further away from ever seeing new character models, I can say the project is still a regular topic of discussion for us. We want to figure out the best way to introduce such a feature without shocking a huge chunk of the playerbase that doesn't really think about how their character's features could be improved every time they log into the game.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Intaanis

So, why is it a trained team of artists, animators, and computer graphic designers can't be as fast or efficient as <em/> one person <em/>? The animations this single person does is done at a faster rate, and at a higher quality more consistent with lore than the very company that owns the game. He even designs gear to go with the models. You could easily have him make new character models in a month or two.

Either Vaanel is more talented than the entire artistic team combined in terms of speed and time efficiency, or there is a totally different reason for these models not being released. The only thing I can think of is that it takes time to code how the new model interacts with existing models and environments. That, or Blizzard is holding out on the models to stretch out the content planned longer for additional hype.

this vaanel is damn good.even his rendering of neltharion is nice..captivated me with the dark evilness..
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Hunter
I want to play the old Races but their models are hideous. Why can't the human females look similar to Jaina? Why can't the Orc Males look similar to Thrall? Why can't human males look similar to Varian or Andiun? Why can't the Night Elf Males and Females look similiar to Malfurion, Ilidian, Ysera, or Tyrande? You already have good models there, the thing is getting them to work with the gear.
Edited by Sardorim on 1/20/2012 12:05 AM PST
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Warrior
but you seemed to have little problem updating the druid forms, and guess what? that worked out fine. There were no riots, nobody threatened you with death, everybody just carried on as normal with their new models.

While I agree with you overall, I'd like to point out that there was a HUGE amount of... er... "discussion" on the forums because people didn't necessarily like how the new Druid models were designed, nor how they were made available (linked to the humanoid form's hair color). It approached a riot at times, with players arguing heatedly both for and against various aspects of it. And those were just for one class-- so I understand the need for Blizz to be sure they do it right.

I'm aware of this, the WoW forums are all about complaining, not a day goes by when someone doesn't cry about something. That's why I said it continued on as normal, QQ here is very normal.

I like my Gnome the way he is, tyvm.

You'd like him even more if he could smile.
Edited by Aceru on 1/20/2012 12:04 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Flatly, Blizard you need to hire artists to update models. Players have been buging for this long enough. You need to roll out the updates. People aren't buying the stories your passing.
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Druid

It's absolutely not a "too bad" situation, Sutei. I know the concept of us having near unlimited resources to throw at whatever we want to is intriguing, but it's just not the case. We don't have an army of artists on layaway that we can transfer onto a project.

Right now it's just difficult to give any sort of estimate on when new models might be available. Whenever a new expansion is in development there are many, many requests for new art assets. We're elbow deep in designing new gear sets, fleshing out the environments, finishing up several new creature models, etc.

If all of this makes you feel that much further away from ever seeing new character models, I can say the project is still a regular topic of discussion for us. We want to figure out the best way to introduce such a feature without shocking a huge chunk of the playerbase that doesn't really think about how their character's features could be improved every time they log into the game.

So, why is it a trained team of artists, animators, and computer graphic designers can't be as fast or efficient as <em/> one person <em/>? The animations this single person does is done at a faster rate, and at a higher quality more consistent with lore than the very company that owns the game. He even designs gear to go with the models. You could easily have him make new character models in a month or two.

Either Vaanel is more talented than the entire artistic team combined in terms of speed and time efficiency, or there is a totally different reason for these models not being released. The only thing I can think of is that it takes time to code how the new model interacts with existing models and environments. That, or Blizzard is holding out on the models to stretch out the content planned longer for additional hype.

Yea seeing what Vaanel does really makes it hard to take the whole 'It's too much work' seriously. I mean he does the same things Blizzard does with modifying existing models and does it in almost no time at all and actually sticks to the lore 10 times better than any of Blizzard devs.
Edited by Lupira on 1/20/2012 12:13 AM PST
Reply Quote
85 Troll Death Knight
Loot card crap doesn't design itself, you know.
And the Blizzard store! The artists need time to create their unique models.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Rogue
I honestly can't wait to say goodbye to the old Night Elf model... That is if we were to get something of the same caliber as Tyrande's model.

If better ponytails also come with the deal, you will have made me a happy camper.
Reply Quote
85 Orc Shaman

That dude has some insane looking models. :o
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
Loot card crap doesn't design itself, you know.
And the Blizzard store! The artists need time to create their unique models.

Pretty much this, if they can't make money off it they will never do it.

Bashiok/Drysc said this back in 2006 just to put it in perspective ,
"We would like to offer new cosmetic options for existing and new characters alike with the current races at some point in the future, but it isn't something we're currently developing."

http://blue.mmo-champion.com/topic/65891-are-old-races-getting-new-faces-hairstyles/

Pretty much what Zarhym said lately. So I wouldn't hold your breath for new models.

Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
Yo. Hire more people, and pay the execs less.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
Limitations on what resources are available to create new models is understandable, but the models are now 7 years old, and every time someone logs into the game they are very likely to be greeted with the face of an incredibly dated model. Blizzard has gone through great pains to keep the game feeling fresh, but there is always a pervasive feeling of obsolescence when one plays a character from the old races. You can't please everyone, but I have no doubt that Blizzard would get this one right overall. I say stop stalling for the 'right' time and get it done before Mists puts us all in a beautiful world marred by the heavily dated, poorly-rendered guy standing in the middle of the screen.
Reply Quote
85 Orc Shaman
01/20/2012 01:11 AMPosted by Schweigen
Like the old joke that if you hire nine women to share the load you can carry a baby to term in one month instead of nine. Some things are not always a matter of more resources.

This comment makes no sense since only one woman can physically be carrying the baby at a time? Not really related to a work environment.
*whoooooooosh*
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]