Question to the Higher ups (new models)

81 Human Paladin
I really like the way my characters look and would prefer an option to KEEP the old models displayed if new models are introduced. I remember when EverQuest got new models, I could individually select which races I wanted to keep/change to the old/new models.
Reply Quote
61 Gnome Mage
01/20/2012 06:27 AMPosted by Kristof
I really like the way my characters look and would prefer an option to KEEP the old models displayed if new models are introduced. I remember when EverQuest got new models, I could individually select which races I wanted to keep/change to the old/new models.

That would make a lot of sense. Sadly, if Blizz ever does release new models, I'm pretty sure that they'll want to force everyone to use them. That's how they seem to operate-- if they're going to invest the resources, they're going to release it the way they want, regardless of what the players want.

Examples: new Druid forms being tied in to humanoid hair color, restrictions on what can be Transmoggrified (so that we can only use art that Blizz wants us to use, even though all the art is in the game because they put it there), releasing new Tree of Life model but not letting players choose whether to use it as a form or as a buff... Those are just off the top of my head.

(I mean, what would be so bad about me transmoggrofiying this hat and shoulders? They look a lot better with this outfit than the Green/Blue items I have to wear. [It's a little hard to really see my outfit because of the armory pose, so take my word for it if you have to.] I just give that as an example of how the art in the game could be used to better effect if there weren't so many restrictions on what we can mog.) (Edit: mogging has been a huge improvement in player customization. I'm just saying that it comes with Blizzard's strings attached, whereas dropping most of the limitations could only be an improvement IMO.)
Edited by Grubbleman on 1/20/2012 6:39 AM PST
Reply Quote
76 Draenei Priest
01/20/2012 06:25 AMPosted by Kiljaden
You are stupid if you think this is something people don't care about and you don't know your players.

I could honestly care less about new models. I rather have new zones, dungeons, raids, quests, BG's and Arena's.

While it would be nice for players to change their characters, this is something I can gladly go without for now.
Edited by Disston on 1/20/2012 7:13 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
I'm not sure it is against forum policy to embed a link, but I'd like to call this work out. This guy didn't change the model; only upped the poly count and it looks great.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqp5dKd8lR4&feature=player_embedded

I don't really lose sleep over the models needing to be updated...but surely there's work like this that could be done to improve the look. Can you explain why an approach such as this hasn't been pursued? Little changes is the point I'm making versus some drastic overhaul of the models.
Edited by Ely on 1/20/2012 7:47 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
I would personally be willing to wait an extra 6 months for an expansion to release if it meant getting a new model for my NE
Reply Quote
24 Night Elf Priest
01/20/2012 06:36 AMPosted by Grubbleman

That would make a lot of sense. Sadly, if Blizz ever does release new models, I'm pretty sure that they'll want to force everyone to use them. That's how they seem to operate-- if they're going to invest the resources, they're going to release it the way they want, regardless of what the players want.

I hope not. I really do not want them to take that road. However, that is probably what will happen.
Reply Quote
10 Troll Warlock
01/19/2012 07:23 PMPosted by Zarhym
We don't have an army of artists on layaway that we can transfer onto a project.

Zar, this is such an odd way of putting it that it makes me think that when you guys go to hire for positions you go to a big box store where they have isles of applicants for each department. So it's like you and GC and Metzen with a giant Costco cart strolling down the isle for 3D modellers and riggers, pulling them out, poking them, checking the corners for damage and asking customer service if they're returns, then putting a few in your cart and heading to check out.

Or that maybe you bought a whole bunch on Black Friday and can't pick them up until you've paid them off just before Christmas.. and in that case do you have to wrap the new artists before you give them to the department heads? Do you decorate them with styluses and tuck a new Cintiq in the wrapping with them? Do the stick on bows get tangled up in their hair? Am I latching on to this one sentence and running way too far with it?
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Priest
Blizzard makes more money than most countries, to say that you don't have the resources seems a bit false.

Please hire some artists and modelers to get it done.

Now, I understand, the concern is that you may then have artists and modelers with nothing to do after the character revamp, might I suggest than putting them to work creating unique bosses for future raids?
Edited by Wispur on 1/20/2012 9:04 AM PST
Reply Quote
87 Orc Mage
01/19/2012 07:23 PMPosted by Zarhym
We're elbow deep in designing new gear sets, fleshing out the environments, finishing up several new creature models, etc.

Wrong priority. Our char model is long overdue and should be your top priority. We look at our models most of the time, not the NPCs and environment. Seeing that the Deathwing human model didn't even get used in the DS raid but a little low level quest, I'm suspecting a lot of your resources are going to waste. I don't really think there's any excuse to not please the players when Blizz makes so much from millions of subscribers every month.

How to? Show us the concept, give us an ETA, receive feedback, then let us bathe in the glory of new models!!

Also requesting for players to have tattoos, hide chest for males, translucent or tattered capes, high heels found on NPCs already in the game.
Reply Quote
79 Worgen Druid

Pigtail hairstyles for human females.

/tilts head to one side

lol, some how I knew she would post that. Never give up Killercaitie!
Edited by Kandore on 1/20/2012 9:36 AM PST
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
I don't think that everyone necessarily feels that Blizzard has unlimited resources at their disposal, I think that a lot of unrest stems from Blizzard's shift in attitude from "It'll be ready when it's done" to "We'll do what we can with the time/resources we have."

That said, I understand the extreme difficulties that arise from mixing business with art. No one would be happy if Blizzard were to be a bankrupt company unable to deliver us the content we practically live on. However, I think a lot of people would be more happy if Blizzard cared less about deadlines; it would ensure a greater quality of content and more creative solutions to the community's problems.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Warlock
01/20/2012 01:16 AMPosted by Toragore
the models are now 7 years old, and every time someone logs into the game they are very likely to be greeted with the face of an incredibly dated model.

They really need to think that statement through.

Imagine someone is new to MMO's and wants to try out a couple of them initially to see which one they want to play (which is what I personally did years back when I started). Now, imagine that person getting their hands on a free trial of both WOW and Rift. Just try and picture their reaction when they view the WOW character models when creating their first toon compared to when they do it in Rift. The difference is night and day, and right there, they lose a prospective customer.
Reply Quote
49 Dwarf Mage
Posted by Zarhym
We're elbow deep in designing new gear sets, fleshing out the environments, finishing up several new creature models, etc.

we've seen the modeling on past gears sets, maybe you should consider taking a few fellers off that team and re-consider updating character models, that actually look good in those gear sets...?

Mebbe...?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]