People are still missing some of the big issues here with the reasons why t hasn't been implented or worked on yet...
* Because you don't like the new content, does not mean that it didn't take a lot of work. To design a boss fight, requires concepts, mechanics and art design. That's the *DESIGN* phase and they haven't probably even started attempting to create it. There's a lot more work that goes into a single encounter in game than create a random mob, give it abilities and plonk it here.
* No one cares if you only choose to PvP/Raid/RP/whatever you do in game... The game is to cater for millions. Not your individual tastes, so get off your high horse and stop thinking you all speak for the entire player base, because gues s what? You speak for 1/10,000,000th of the player base.
* Remember that pets in the shop, in game and stuff are done by seperate design teams, so you can stop accusing Blizz of wasting time on them.
Now, to character models, there are a number of very valid reasons for this as many have stated before...
* People will always complain. Seriously. If you have not seen that with WoW yet, have you been hiding under a rock?
* Updating the model requires quite extensive work for a single model. Everything needs to be right or the model can screw up... A simple mistake in the code of the Night Elf Female model and poof! All players of Night Elf females may suddenly be completely unplayable until Blizz fixes it, which could take some time.
* It's not a simple case of just making the figures rounded and more polygons. They want to --COMPLETELY-- overhaul the models. That takes a lot more time and resources than people give them credit for.
A lot of the 'amatuer edits' you see by fans online are that... Edits of the existing models or other models elsewhere. Many have not been built from the ground up. And even then, these people may have done what? 2-3 models? We're talking about 10+ races, times 2 for each gender, plus animations and everything else...
That's a HELL of a lot of work.
* In regards to that, not only do they have to update the model, but EVERY piece of armor in the game to match that model. The armor has to sit correctly on a new model, otherwise surprise, surprise, there will be complaints.
Armor is not a simple copy paste as many people would think it is.
* Have you considered all art teams are probably working on the new expansion at the moment? Some of you may not care for the new features and protest that you don't want time wasted on the newer stuff, but want the character models... Well, you can be rest assured, people would complain if everything in MoP was just a rehash of classic WoW.
The new content WILL take priorty over the old, because, while many players do want new models, many other have to decide if they want the models and another year of the same old content or new content and new models down the track?
New content will win because while new models are pretty, it does not add an incentive for people to keep playing.
* Change is a big, big thing... Look at how players react to the changing of Talents, removal of abilties, etc, etc... To just go and up and change the character models is a huge change and while many may say that you can easily accept it, it's again, your opinion.
Every time I log into my druid, this is how I see her. Now to suddenly have her changed and not be able to get that look I always envisioned her with back is a big thing... It can ruin and break the character for me, because I'm attached to the character.
This is why they need to work out how best to do it... How can they adapt and update the models to a new look and not annoy most of their player base?
Claiming that this is a lie/cover up is not true. Just look at players who have had something small of theirs changed visually and hated it? Character model is a MUCH bigger issue.
Overall, I want new models as much as the next person, but I'd rather Blizz take their time, and provide us with new content and did the models right, than rush it and give us something hurried and not worth it, and skim out on newer content for us.
The fact that they are addressing they keep coming back to discuss it means they are aware and want to do it. The important part there is that they plan to do it eventually. Rather than tell you to sit down, shut up and keep playing with what you've got, they have informed you their plans and wants for something that yes, is a frequently asked issue.
TL;DR version... Updating the models in a lot harder and time consuming than people think. The fanbase willl fight it as well, regardless of what you claim otherwise and you have to weigh up if newer content to keep playing is worth less to you than newer art... And then knock it into your brain that you are again, only 1/10,000,000th of the WoW playerbase.