GUILD WARS 2 Beta next month !!!

90 Worgen Death Knight
Great, so a month of "OMG GW2 GONNA ROCK DIS GAME" threads.

We JUST got done with SWTOR, for the Titan's sake.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Priest
01/24/2012 11:12 AMPosted by Welcome
What makes you think so?

I know of a lot of people that play WoW on a sub- optimal computer that runs at "fair" or "good" with 20 FPS. GW2's graphics stomp WoW's thefore people in my guild/ friends IRL would probably have to get a new computer before playing it.
Reply Quote
85 Orc Warrior
Great, so a month of "OMG GW2 GONNA ROCK DIS GAME" threads.

We JUST got done with SWTOR, for the Titan's sake.

You don't need to participate if you don't like...you know that you have the right to skip such threads right?
Reply Quote
63 Tauren Hunter
01/24/2012 11:43 AMPosted by Valanis
What makes you think so?

I know of a lot of people that play WoW on a sub- optimal computer that runs at "fair" or "good" with 20 FPS. GW2's graphics stomp WoW's thefore people in my guild/ friends IRL would probably have to get a new computer before playing it.

To be fair, WoW's engine is far from optimal. Yes, it can work on low-range computers, but its graphical capability scales slowly with better computers.

ArenaNet devs have stated their dedication to making sure GW2 can play smoothly on as many computers as possible, to the point that they looked for and purchased many used computers with components that can't be purchased new anymore just to make sure GW2 can play on those components.

That's no guarantee that it'll play well for everybody, of course. But more than half of WoW's current players? I'd certainly bet on that. I would go so far as to suggest at least four fifths of WoW's current players.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Death Knight
01/24/2012 12:08 PMPosted by Welcome

To be fair, WoW's engine is far from optimal. Yes, it can work on low-range computers, but its graphical capability scales slowly with better computers.

ArenaNet devs have stated their dedication to making sure GW2 can play smoothly on as many computers as possible, to the point that they looked for and purchased many used computers with components that can't be purchased new anymore just to make sure GW2 can play on those components.

That's no guarantee that it'll play well for everybody, of course. But more than half of WoW's current players? I'd certainly bet on that. I would go so far as to suggest at least four fifths of WoW's current players.

Forgot what card it was, but they're optimizing the game to run on hardware so old that they had to special order the parts because they haven't been produced for years.

It will likely be VERY LOW graphics with hardware like that, and then the super-uber-awesome graphics we've all seen more mid-high modern computers.

I'm totally fine with that.
Reply Quote
85 Orc Warrior
Well if they can get WvWvW to run fine with 100's of player without it being like a power point presentation...I think they would have done a good job.
Reply Quote
They are making challenging five-man dungeons for level capped players in Guild Wars 2.

But they aren't dropping character improving gear for most adventurers - at least that is is what I learned on another thread. In WoW a character can improve their DPS like 5x over the starting blues that you get at 85. So your character 'progresses' through gear. It doesn't seem like they are doing that.
Reply Quote
100 Troll Death Knight
I read that blog as predicting a june-july release date.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
1) they are using the same engine as GW1 so very low computer requirements, i believe they said a 2005ish computer could run it just fine.

2) There is no "endgame" in GW2, none, at all, you have the full game during leveling and after leveling, you play to have fun, get achievments, earn different looking gear, get traits/skills etc

"Endgame is such a dirty word. We want our game to be the endgame. We don't like the idea of a game that changes when you hit max level."

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/01/23/flameseeker-chronicles-we-dont-need-no-stinkin-endgame/

3) Woooo looks like a release late april/may =D
Reply Quote
No endgame makes total sense when it comes to being buy to play. But far and away the best part about WoW is the raiding. It's a great gaming experience if you deal with some fairly challenging (but not too tough) bosses and work together and take em out..

With no endgame it will play through like Skyrim. It's fun for a month or so but that's it..
Reply Quote
85 Orc Warrior
Well saying no endgame is false. 5 man dungeons, Continent of Orr, to extent WvWvW are endgame. But what they are saying is, when you enter their world...they want every part of the game to like endgame.
Reply Quote
63 Tauren Hunter
Yeah, if you take "endgame" to mean anything you do at the level cap, then yes there is an endgame. The game doesn't just stop once you reach the cap. As Easyryder said, there will be things to do. If you want difficult content to challenge yourself on, it will have that. (That content will also remain challenging rather than becoming easy because you get bigger numbers, too.)

It just won't have instanced dungeons for groups larger than 5, nor a loot treadmill. If that's really all you want to do in an MMORPG, feel free to stick to those following the EQ model.
Reply Quote
86 Undead Death Knight
01/25/2012 10:19 AMPosted by Welcome
It just won't have instanced dungeons for groups larger than 5

The dungeons in GW2 are designed to be the challenging part that requires very coordinated gameplay.
Reply Quote
The dungeons in GW2 are designed to be the challenging part that requires very coordinated gameplay.

But the only reason to do them is to get better looking gear right? You won't actually improve your character. Like I said the best part of TBC era WoW was in fact the raid progression. Large groups of people working carefully together feels epic for the player..and you got gear.

You need both aspects to have an endgame. And not just WoW has an endgame - most MMOs do. Rift, EQII et al.

So they are breaking away with the no endgame approach. I am not bashing it - I will get it unless I hear terrible things bout it..
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
01/25/2012 11:12 AMPosted by Hume
You need both aspects to have an endgame.

No, this has become the accepted paradigm thanks to EQ and WoW and everybody copying their format.

Anet wants their game to be fun at all levels of play, and this includes challenging content at max level. Just because some people are addicted to the loot grind concept, don't assume that nobody can have fun without it.
Reply Quote
86 Undead Death Knight
But the only reason to do them is to get better looking gear right

Only at max level. See most people who seriously played GW1 don't have an issue with this because all 3 campaigns and the expac all have the same max level and same max level armour just different looks. There is a set of armour in GW called elite armour where it can take months to get enough gold and materials to craft.
Reply Quote
No, this has become the accepted paradigm thanks to EQ and WoW and everybody copying their format.Anet wants their game to be fun at all levels of play, and this includes challenging content at max level. Just because some people are addicted to the loot grind concept, don't assume that nobody can have fun without it.

Oh sure. They will have fun up until they reach level cap. The 'loot grind' as you call it represents incremental improvements to one's character - which is similiar to leveling. Thus it provides a feeling of satisfaction for the player - especially if its difficult to get that loot.

I wouldn't say EQ and WoW made it popular. It's the same in almost any video game. it's fun to get a new weapon in Ratchet and Clank because now your character is better..It's great in Fallout 3 to get a new weapon that really kicks some butt for the same reason..
Reply Quote
63 Tauren Hunter

But the only reason to do them is to get better looking gear right? You won't actually improve your character. Like I said the best part of TBC era WoW was in fact the raid progression. Large groups of people working carefully together feels epic for the player..and you got gear.

You need both aspects to have an endgame. And not just WoW has an endgame - most MMOs do. Rift, EQII et al.

So they are breaking away with the no endgame approach. I am not bashing it - I will get it unless I hear terrible things bout it..

Specific gear designs is not the only reason. I thought you wanted challenging group content? Is numbers all you care about?

Why does improving the character matter so much? Whatever happened to improving self? You are able to accomplish so-and-so challenge not because you got better gear, but because you became better as a player.

Why do you need instanced dungeons for large groups and a loot treadmill to create an endgame? I always thought that endgame was just what you did at the level cap.

I didn't say WoW was the only game to have and endgame focused on raids and stat acquisition. That's why I suggested games following the EQ model if you like raids and stats so much.
Reply Quote
85 Orc Warrior
When a game is going drastically a different way...why do they have to stick to the same model? If you just think about it, large elite dynamic events are like raids. I for one welcome the change and if they are able to pull it off with success then more power to MMO's.

When I played the 40 min demo @ pax...I was amazed at the polish for a game that was not even in closed beta. Of-course it was just a demo and they have prepared the game keeping that in mind. I am still skeptical at how well they can pull off WvWvW. I will safely say that if the released product is as polished at the demo was, I think Anet would have done a great job.
Edited by Easyryder on 1/25/2012 2:18 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Death Knight
First, unlearn all the nonsense with which other mmos have brainwashed you. Gear isn't the end-all be all of playing an mmo.

You talk about competitive pvp and difficult dungeon encounters. What does gear have to do with either? Gear checks? I'd much rather prefer a skill check. When you take the inflated gear out of pvp skill actually comes to the forefront and true competition takes place. The same goes for pve. Coordination, strategy, tactics, cooperation, skill combos all take precedence over a simple gear check.

Now...once people have whatever set they want why would they keep doing dungeons? I'm going to blow your mind with this one: for fun! Why is that so crazy these days? Players have been conditioned to this progression treadmill to the point where they can't just do an activity for the fun of it. Well my hope is GW2 starts curing players of that insanity.

So my advice is forget what other mmos have done. Concentrate on what GW2 is trying to do. Judge it for what it is and don't expect the same experience from carrot-on-a-stick type mmos (like WoW). And be grateful for that.

QFT from Guildwarsguru forums.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]