Example API Usage: Realm Pop

1 Troll Rogue
Realm Pop shows you population statistics on the players' characters in World of Warcraft.

You can find out the most popular races and classes on your realm, or across all realms, or across a subset of realms that you choose (for example, PvP realms, or Oceanic realms). On realm pages, with each subset you choose, you will also get a partial list of characters so you can look them up on the Armory.

Find it here:
http://wow.realmpop.com/

Do we have a thread here that lists API apps? I'm curious to find apps I've missed. There's obviously a bunch of us here, but I don't hear much about the apps that get produced.
Reply Quote
Web & Mobile Team
I'm really impressed. Very nice.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
For the time it is taking to load, Can I conclude that you are not catching the data you get from blizz?
Reply Quote
Web & Mobile Team
01/23/2012 10:11 AMPosted by Orichalum
For the time it is taking to load, Can I conclude that you are not catching the data you get from blizz?

I suspect the load time is influenced by the fact that the entire site is a distributed API crawler and your browser is loading API data that then updates the site.
Edited by Straton on 1/23/2012 10:23 AM PST
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Death Knight
Loaded fine for me, I'm impressed also. Hmm, no wonder Ally always lose in pvp......
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
01/23/2012 10:26 AMPosted by Coldforge
Loaded fine for me, I'm impressed also. Hmm, no wonder Ally always lose in pvp......

What in particular led you to that conclusion? I haven't played with the site much, but would be interested to hear what sort of analysis others have done.

Nevermind, found it. That's really cool!
Edited by Disquette on 1/23/2012 10:36 AM PST
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Death Knight
By these stats, looks like more people that PVP play horde... wonder why.....things that make you go hmmmm.
Edited by Coldforge on 1/23/2012 10:45 AM PST
Reply Quote
88 Human Warrior
Hm, realm population of members of guilds with at least one active auction seller.

I suppose that gets a decent, yet indeterminate, fraction of the active population.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Death Knight
Don't known if the accuracy of this site is on point, but some realms need serious help in the form of faction balance.
Reply Quote
2 Blood Elf Rogue
01/23/2012 11:04 AMPosted by Coldforge
Don't known if the accuracy of this site is on point, but some realms need serious help in the form of faction balance.

None of those sites showing such stats will ever be, for one simple reason they cant differ unique players, if on one realm are 2 players, 1 got 10 alts and plays alliance and the other plays horde and don't have any alts...
Reply Quote
100 Undead Mage
Any chance you would be willing to share the name/realm/region part of the data for level 85 characters? You actually have more than I do on some realms!
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Hunter
Some interesting stuff here.

Just for fun, I played around with it and happened to notice something interesting.

All the way through level 79, Rogues are in the top 3 classes.

At level 85, they are almost last.

Level / Overall % / Rank
1-9: 12.3% (#3)
1-19: 12.8% (#2)
1-29: 12.4% (#2)
1-39: 12.2% (#2)
1-49: 11.9% (#2)
1-59: 11.3% (#2)
1-69: 10.8% (#2)
1-79: 10.7% (#2)
1-85: 9.3% (#7)

So.... what happens with rogues after level 79?

Do they suddenly get boring? Are they like a 5/6th alt for most people and people haven't got around to leveling them this expansion?

I would've assumed with the legendary, that the number would jump from 79-85, but instead it plummets.

Interesting stuff.
Reply Quote
85 Troll Druid
This data updates in real time or it's about a specific date and time?
Reply Quote
49 Blood Elf Rogue
Nice site. Wondering how it works with getting the info. This guy was not showing up until i filtered down to horde->male->blood elf->rogue. Now I see him on a more generic search.

Another toon I was looking for did not show up and I still can not get her to show up even if I do the same filtered search.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/skullcrusher/Lailu/advanced

Just wondering why some show up and others do not.

I have been working on some php tools to collect data for the XP off community and may use some of the features you have here to show a bit more information.
Reply Quote
100 Troll Druid
Very impressive site.

I find very interesting that overall population seems to balance itself out.

But there are some extremely unbalanced servers for both factions like Stormrage and Illidan.

http://wow.realmpop.com/us-stormrage.html
and
http://wow.realmpop.com/us-illidan.html
Edited by Necroshifter on 1/23/2012 1:28 PM PST
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
01/23/2012 01:28 PMPosted by Necroshifter
But there are some extremely unbalanced servers for both factions like Stormrage and Illidan.

Illidan unbalanced itself out because of faction changes and free transfers. Most of the Alliance left on the server are alts of people playing Horde mains. We still are not as unbalanced as 2 other servers, but if you go purely by capita, we are atrociously unbalanced. The only really noticeable problems are when you want to do Wintergrasp or Tol Barad and you get 5v5s. If MoP offers World PvP again, we'll be left out. It's sad seeing a naked Stormwind. Back on topic...

Nice work Erorus. Amazing actually.
Reply Quote
1 Troll Rogue
01/23/2012 10:11 AMPosted by Orichalum

It could be either my CDN catching up, or the fact that an average realm would download about 750k of data to build the page. A bit unavoidable, given the depth.

Hm, realm population of members of guilds with at least one active auction seller.

I suppose that gets a decent, yet indeterminate, fraction of the active population.

It's not perfect, and it won't ever be, but with Cataclysm's renewed interest in encouraging guild play, I figure it's a pretty decent guess that most players will be guilded.

01/23/2012 11:21 AMPosted by Chaud
Any chance you would be willing to share the name/realm/region part of the data for level 85 characters? You actually have more than I do on some realms!

If you watch the requests in Firebug, you'll notice that the realm data is actually a JSON structure. You can pull that down. I haven't mentioned that yet, in case I need to change the structure for some reason, but that's the plan.

01/23/2012 11:39 AMPosted by Aztarun
This data updates in real time or it's about a specific date and time?

Check out the "When" bullet point on the front page of the site!

Nice site. Wondering how it works with getting the info. This guy was not showing up until i filtered down to horde->male->blood elf->rogue. Now I see him on a more generic search.

Another toon I was looking for did not show up and I still can not get her to show up even if I do the same filtered search.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/skullcrusher/Lailu/advanced

Just wondering why some show up and others do not.

1) The lists of characters/guilds is just to drive home the point that I'm not making these numbers up, that they're really based on something. The list maxes out at 250 names just so your browser doesn't freak out about displaying a huge table.
2) Looks like I haven't seen Lailu yet. Maybe by next week! Data collection goes on continually and more and more characters will get discovered over time.
Reply Quote
49 Blood Elf Rogue
01/23/2012 02:11 PMPosted by Ujournal
2) Looks like I haven't seen Lailu yet. Maybe by next week! Data collection goes on continually and more and more characters will get discovered over time.

Ahh good to know. The list I am making currently is only 300 or so people in the 49 XP off community so my updates will be every other night or when someone logs into our Qlist. I may expand on it so I get other XP off communities but for now I just want it working and showing stats and population for the one group.
Reply Quote
85 Troll Hunter
Looks pretty good. Just one small suggestion: In the scroll list of realms, could you move the column headers out of the scroll frame so that they are always visible no matter how far scrolled down I am?

EDIT: Oh, I just noticed something else. When filtering data by clicking on the pie charts, clicking on the tooltip that pops up that displays information about that slice won't simulate a click on the piece itself. I can only filter down by clicking on the colored part of the pie itself. Not sure if this is your own code or an API that makes the charts, but I thought it was worth mentioning anyway.
Edited by Cybeloras on 1/23/2012 2:46 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Your work is, as ever, very impressive, Erorus.

(pelf from Wowhead)
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]