how rp is this server (alliance)

65 Undead Death Knight
let me illiterate, how often does this server do a "walk in " rp or any of the sort, and whats its attitude towards new rp'ers?
Edited by Kasmor on 1/23/2012 3:51 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
this server sucks for RP was great back in the day but not so good anymore.
Reply Quote
89 Human Priest
RP on this server is active and thriving if one knows how, when, where to look.

It also depends on what side of the faction fence you're on, as there are very different cultures and time-frames for RP, and ways of handling random walk-up RP though in my experience, most people are open and friendly about it most of the time on either side.

If a new RPer wants to learn, asking questions and being active, most people are pretty willing to give 'em a chance and offer advice if possible and play with them. It can be hard to find a niche at times, though, given the age of the server and the current end-of-expac lull taking a few longer-term members off to real life or other games.

Alliance side is pretty inter-guild for the most part (thanks to some bad trolling experiences making RPers shy on what's supposed to be a RP server), though there ARE open social RP events such as Choppin' Block on Tuesday nights in the Dwarven District bar, starting at 6pm server time. Some people like to gather at Olivia's Pond at random times; I try to RP in the Cathedral District at the gazebo, or in Mage District at the well near the Slaughtered Lamb when I have a minute. My guildmates can often be found in the Keep gardens in the evenings. Some guilds also have open, IC guild meetings people can go to; check the guild listings!

We used to have a couple more socials, but real life ate folks. I've had an idea for an event for months, but time is not on my side. :(

Horde side, a lot of the RP is in Silvermoon. There's a biker bar thing in New Kargath on Wednesday evenings, Fancy Cakes in the Royal Exchange of Silvermoon on Sunday evenings, Wayfarer's Rest is now home to a new bar run by Luck on Saturdays (I think) and the Laughing Zhevra may still be running in Ratchet on Mondays (not too sure!). There's a lot of open walk up RP that I've seen, but again, mostly in Silvermoon.

Some RPers on the server like to follow events and post stories not only here on the official forums, but also on rp-haven.com, where anyone from Shadow Council can post RP stories, discuss game stuff, share art, post about events. It's a personal preference thing mostly.

Some folks stick to the /ooc channel in game, some folks use the /haven channel to connect with other RPers. Depends on preferences and channel space!

Give it a try; a lot of people still like the general community of Shadow Council, even after trying other servers. Welcome and good luck!
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
As member of the RPing communities of both sides I must say that I agree in this post. Most of the RPers in Shadow Council consist of a very friendly and acceptable bunch, although in Alliance as Lirriel says:
"Alliance side is pretty inter-guild for the most part (thanks to some bad trolling experiences making RPers shy on what's supposed to be a RP server),"

Indeed, my Alliance friend, indeed.

I have to say into this though: The Horde community used to take form mostly in a dramatic scenery all along BUT I could be wrong since I ain't THAT of a socialite with this character.
Reply Quote
25 Goblin Warlock
01/24/2012 09:18 PMPosted by Lirriel

Translation: Join RP-Haven, or don't even bother trying.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Seems that way; no one else is posting their events or RP things anywhere else, including to these forums--or if they are, they aren't sharing that information with anyone else on the server, or it's only to private guild forums. Most or all of the RP threads that were stickied early on were initiated by RP Haven regulars, several of them players who've been RPing on this server for years and promoting more RP, events, and greeting new folks all of the time.

RP here can be very hidden in guilds or whispers and private channels. Not everyone likes Haven, and that's perfectly fine. But at least one place for the server is actively trying to promote RP--of all kinds, for both factions; not everything on Haven is my cup of tea, I don't RP with everyone there or read every blog, and there are varying levels of experience among members--so it's not dead, it's not hidden, and there are a lot of contacts to make and others it's fine to ignore.

If RPers don't want to use Haven, what's stopping them from posting to the forums and RPing in the major cities and /yelling about their events in public during peak hours? Instead of telling potential new players to not bother because any RP outside their own private circles is "dead"? At least the Haven members try to be open to new folks. Doesn't always succeed, but the attempt is there (if people would realize, maybe, that RP is a 2-way street and there has to be both give and take; it's not always just going to fall into one's lap).
Reply Quote
22 Dwarf Shaman
CHOPPIN' BLOCK TUESDAY NIGHTS @ THE GOLDEN KEG!

We got some other Alliance RP events starting up now, too.

Please do check out RP-Haven.com and join the /haven channel in-game if you're checking out the server.

I'm not sure I get this "Alliance RP is mostly inter-guild due to some bad trolling experiences." Is this the condition the Dragoons are currently in? Because when the Block is full I often see guilded people RPing with people outside their guilds and unguilded people as well. It may just be casual chat, but it is RP!

My perspective on the server is that we're dealing with a dwindling population of RPers, which makes it appear pretty sparse most of the time. The RPers are out there but they're spread out. Horde RP appears differently because it's concentrated among Blood Elves in Silvermoon for the most part, so you go to Silvermoon and see a lot of people RPing. Alliance side RPers could be anywhere, but there's no concentration of any one race and everyone is running all over Stormwind (and the rest of the world). We don't have a single-race RP center like Horde does.

That's why if you want to RP it's VITAL to attend every event you can in order to meet other RPers. Event hosts have been struggling (myself included) with low attendance, and then we hear people can't find other RPers. It is hard to find RPers, yes, but it's a whole lot easier if we try to *congregate*. So! Please stop by the Choppin' Block at the Golden Keg if you want to RP, and there's a new event coming up Friday nights in the Mage District run by Wendy. Once a month I'm going to be having a big public, center-of-town RP party in Stormwind, so watch for that, too!
Reply Quote
85 Human Mage

Translation: Join RP-Haven, or don't even bother trying.

For the most part, yes. People either only post on their own guild websites or on Haven. Too much trolling happens here on the forum.

02/14/2012 06:09 AMPosted by Lorith
So! Please stop by the Choppin' Block at the Golden Keg if you want to RP, and there's a new event coming up Friday nights in the Mage District run by Wendy.

Mostly Saturdays with the occasional Friday to catch the people who can't log on in the evenings mid-week! :)
Edited by Reggie on 2/14/2012 6:39 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
I'm not sure I get this "Alliance RP is mostly inter-guild due to some bad trolling experiences."

I know many people stopped open RP due to some of the things that happened at the Leaf awhile back, and other events. It wasn't worth the stress and drama to them. Without the "safety" of the Park, some folks have expressed skittishness if they aren't at a larger event with other RPers; there's a "safety in numbers" thing going on. People don't seem to know "where to go" these days, and it's a big question that gets asked--because they don't feel they can just RP anywhere, anytime. The /yells I have seen, such as "RPers go back to the Park!" and "I wish the RPers would have died with their Park!" and other anti-RP comments likely don't help lone/new people looking for RP.

Several RPers I know are busy when in town and only RPing at certain times, when bored, or at an event. Or they're only logging in for said events/guild meetings, or to raid, and so aren't RPing randomly in town because they are never randomly in town.

The Dragoons did have some of our members trolled recently-ish, but the offender was a newer member from an older guild here, and I contacted the officers about the griefer. We also had drama occur when inter-guild events and RP happened, and some of our folks got shy about trying more; I keep trying to turn that around, but it's slow. I know other guilds that pretty much always RP amongst themselves, unless it's at the Choppin' Block. And even then, people are more likely to stick to their own groups (which is natural for bar RP, really).

A response I get often when trying to encourage more open RP has to do with people being worried about griefing. I wasn't kidding in my comment in your one thread on Haven when someone honestly said that the practice dummies were too close to vendors and so too busy for uninterrupted RP. I also see it given as a reason Horde players won't RP in Orgrimmar; it's "too busy" with non-RPers. Unless it's specifically a publicly advertised event, people try to hide their RP to "not be bothered."

Part of it too, is it's easier to see Horde walk-up RP when their main RP center is a city that disallows flight--and is very out-of-the-way and quiet compared to the hubbub of the main capital. With people zooming around Stormwind these days there's not a lot of chances to see random RP, if players are even being IC at random when wandering the city. I know I'm open to RP most times, but I also don't RP walk everywhere, and many places are pretty busy in town.

So it's generally mostly my own anecdotal experiences in talking to people and overhearing comments from others that yeah, some people won't RP because of the large number of non-RPers who are outright unfriendly to RP on a RP server (they should go read the freaking server definitions, IMO). Which is sad, really.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Hunter
Translation: Join RP-Haven, or don't even bother trying.[/quote]

((I dont understand this comment. As far as I can determine, Rp-haven is a site where Shadow Council character stories are collected in one place. It is useful if you want to discover the names of characters actively rp'ing in game and/or if you care to look up a character's stories.

The only thing that affects rp on this server are the rp'ers. If you care about rp on this server, participate in it. Cant find it? Stay IC all the time and you will. You don't have to write your rp stories down to rp. You do not have to visit Haven or post there. If you do post there, considering reposting here. Have some courage and do it. ))
Edited by Tamlin on 2/17/2012 4:37 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
<3 Tamlin. I haven't been brave enough to post on Blizzard forums, myself. I'm too lazy to deal with trolls.

But...perhaps. It would be a fun experiment to throw some posts out on the forums here.
Reply Quote
02/14/2012 06:37 AMPosted by Windela
For the most part, yes. People either only post on their own guild websites or on Haven. Too much trolling happens here on the forum.

RPers abandon the forums because of trolls, leave it to the trolls instead of the RPers, then point and go 'See? Look at all the trolls!' I can't imagine how that happened...

That's why if you want to RP it's VITAL to attend every event you can in order to meet other RPers. Event hosts have been struggling (myself included) with low attendance

That would be great, if going to an event on this server as an unknown entity wasn't a guaranteed shunning. 'Why, we don't know that guy. I've never seen him on Haven before. What if he's a troll?!'

You do not have to visit Haven or post there. If you do post there, considering reposting here. Have some courage and do it.

Italicized for truth. If only that message had gotten through a few years ago, a lot of RPers such as myself wouldn't have moved on to greener pastures.

By the way, Tam. Good to see you're still around. I do miss our old battles over Ashenvale from years back. That was some of the best RP I ever found here. RP/PvP is the one thing I miss about this place.

~The dwarf/former tauren once known as Ushkar.
Edited by Ulfvar on 2/20/2012 9:44 PM PST
Reply Quote
89 Human Priest
That would be great, if going to an event on this server as an unknown entity wasn't a guaranteed shunning. 'Why, we don't know that guy. I've never seen him on Haven before. What if he's a troll?!'

I see a mix of that--"That person's acting weird, surely they're a troll and not RPing!"--and people who stand quietly on the sidelines and never try to involve themselves at all, especially when people are already chatting with characters they know.

I was shocked when a friend told me that I had apparently ignored someone who wanted to RP with a few Dragoons in the Keep Gardens. No one had approached us that I saw. I didn't see any new person's comments in my logs. It's a moderately trafficked area, I tend to leave my camera one direction when RPing, and tab out often during lulls. I ended up putting a note in my RSP to feel free to approach me, or at least give an indication of IC presence, otherwise I may not immediately notice. :(

RP is not going to instantly fall into one's lap when silently walking into a new place with people who may, for various reasons, not instantly see the character. Some may notice and make the effort to say something, but getting silence in return isn't encouraging, either; players have to be proactive to speak to one another.

But on the other hand, overblown randomness and goofing off may give the wrong impression when meeting new folks, and end up with the unfortunate reaction Ulfvar describes. For some people, acting out may be entirely IC--and also how they feel is a good way to get involved in new RP. Some of the RPers here are so gunshy, though, they seem to /ignore at the drop of a hat.

Somewhere in the middle to test the waters is generally a good idea, if one can manage it--it's not easy. I'm always a big fan of OOC communication, too, if possible (/OOC or /Haven, or even whispers to the event organizer(s) and other attendees).

I know that as an introvert, I tend to take a character to a new place to sit quietly and watch and listen myself, not feeling able to get involved right away. It lets me get a feel for the place, for the people, maybe chat OOC and gain the confidence I need to intro into a crowd. I don't react well to wilder characters (and have a hard time playing wacky chatterboxes of my own) simply because I can't keep up many times! It's something I still work on.

That said: Several people I hadn't seen before showed up to Wendy's event on Friday night. Everyone had a good time and were really friendly. Some were guildies and friends, others stumbled by accidentally, a few saw the promo here on the forum or on Haven. So far as I know, no one was "shunned" for being an unknown entity or for whatever guild tag they happened to be wearing.
Reply Quote
22 Dwarf Shaman
02/20/2012 07:54 PMPosted by Ulfvar

RPers abandon the forums because of trolls, leave it to the trolls instead of the RPers, then point and go 'See? Look at all the trolls!' I can't imagine how that happened...

That's why if you want to RP it's VITAL to attend every event you can in order to meet other RPers. Event hosts have been struggling (myself included) with low attendance

First of all, the top stickies made on this forum when it was new were made by RPers about RP-related things. I made a couple of 'em myself. We have been here, we have made our mark here, we're still here. Those of us that are still around, at least.

Secondly, I get offended when people say they're "shunned" at events when I've never seen them. I go up to EVERY person who sits down in the Golden Keg on Tuesday nights, even those who are just sitting there waiting for a battleground. I guarantee you friendly dwarven service. I know a number of other RPers who regularly attend the Keg on Tuesdays who also will reach out and GLADLY RP with people they've never met before.

Yeah there are groups and cliques who mostly RP within themselves. But don't smear the efforts of the event hosts on this server who week after week give hours of their time trying to facilitate RP and bring RPers out of their shells by saying that you'll be shunned if you go to an event. Every event host I know on this server tries their darnedest to reach out to every person - RPer or not - who happens by.

RPers are a dwindling population on this server. It doesn't help one bit to slander those who are continuing to try to foster roleplaying.
Reply Quote

First of all, the top stickies made on this forum when it was new were made by RPers about RP-related things. I made a couple of 'em myself. We have been here, we have made our mark here, we're still here. Those of us that are still around, at least.

Secondly, I get offended when people say they're "shunned" at events when I've never seen them. I go up to EVERY person who sits down in the Golden Keg on Tuesday nights, even those who are just sitting there waiting for a battleground. I guarantee you friendly dwarven service. I know a number of other RPers who regularly attend the Keg on Tuesdays who also will reach out and GLADLY RP with people they've never met before.

Yeah there are groups and cliques who mostly RP within themselves. But don't smear the efforts of the event hosts on this server who week after week give hours of their time trying to facilitate RP and bring RPers out of their shells by saying that you'll be shunned if you go to an event. Every event host I know on this server tries their darnedest to reach out to every person - RPer or not - who happens by.

RPers are a dwindling population on this server. It doesn't help one bit to slander those who are continuing to try to foster roleplaying.

If that's all really the case, then good on you. You're what this server needs, and I'm glad to hear it is changing for the better. Best thing you can do is make sure that RP is accessible, and known about through more general channels than just RP Haven. Sounds like you're doing just that.
Edited by Ulfvar on 2/22/2012 10:05 AM PST
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Hunter
((Proof that I put my money where my mouth is...walk the walk instead of just talk the talk and all that and a shameless plug. ))

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/2179669468#6

((More to come, and hello, Ushkar.))
Reply Quote
I can actually give you a good spot to rp, the only problem is that there is a level minimum to get there. If you do the quest chain with Tyr's hand in EPL it becomes empty of all mobs, and there is the DK start up area next to it if you want that kind of scenery. The fact that it is phased is really nice so people that are doing quests will not bother any rp going on there. There is also the fact that it is a large space and can handle a large crowd of people there. Being a neutral faction quest to clear it also makes it open to both horde and alliance. But many rpers on ally have taken to places like this as well as there are a few of them in the game.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]