Who are tank healers?

(Locked)

7 Blood Elf Rogue
I was in a Pug today where we couldn't go on because the raid leader insisted that we needed a "pally or disc priest" to tank heal. I know from priest circles that disc priest as a tank heal is a long running joke and that they aren't really good tank heals. So my question is....other than holy pally, is there any other healer out there that is a natural tank healer?
MVP
85 Blood Elf Paladin
01/22/2012 12:09 AMPosted by Valamuna
I know from priest circles that disc priest as a tank heal is a long running joke and that they aren't really good tank heals.

I don't know what priests you've been talking to, but if they are saying that Disc Priest tanking healing is a joke, it's probably because the way they heal is a joke.
01/22/2012 12:15 AMPosted by Practical
I know from priest circles that disc priest as a tank heal is a long running joke and that they aren't really good tank heals.

I don't know what priests you've been talking to, but if they are saying that Disc Priest tanking healing is a joke, it's probably because the way they heal is a joke.

I haven't played this priest in months so I was asking around some of the guilds on my server and they a few are apparently replacing their disc priests after getting 7/8 because:
"They don't have a reliable mechanic like judgement, water shield + resurgence. They have also been having trouble maintaining a heavy output and sustaining it without ooming themselves, which starts to become more vital in the heavy burst phases that occur in the new tier".

Just saying, I'm not the only one who has heard bad things :/
85 Gnome Priest
Disc are extremely good tank healers. Disc priests with mana problems are typically very bad disc priests.

As for guilds supposedly dropping disc priests on madness... There are 26 kills of madness 10h uploaded to WoL and 18 disc priests and 2 holy priests. For further comparison, there are 17 holy pallies, 7 resto Druids, and 17 resto shamans. So for the hard mode of madness on 10 man, disc is actually the most popular spec so far. Make of that what you will. My conclusion is that the guilds who are ragging on disc priests are bad.
MVP
85 Blood Elf Paladin
01/22/2012 12:23 AMPosted by Hyperbeam
Just saying, I'm not the only one who has heard bad things :/

Read:

Wait, what? Have these people heard of Rapture? Seriously?

01/22/2012 01:18 AMPosted by Dontpanic
Disc are extremely good tank healers. Disc priests with mana problems are typically very bad disc priests.

Not sure if serious..
100 Dwarf Paladin
Any healer can tank heal now. But some classes are better than other. I think the order of preference is:

Paladin -> Shaman -> Disc Priest -> Holy Priest -> Druid

Paladins are still the best tank healers. But Shamans are very powerful now with Earth Shield + Riptide + Greater Healing Wave. Disc Priests come a close third.
85 Blood Elf Paladin
The only classes that straight up shouldnt be tank healing (like, shouldnt be focusing tanks) are druids and holy priests.
90 Draenei Priest

This.
01/22/2012 01:00 AMPosted by Tiriél
Wait, what? Have these people heard of Rapture? Seriously?

And this.

Reliable output without OOMing is like... Disc Priest's middle name. Wtf. These people must be terrible, and their guilds must be terrible for actually believing it's a problem with the class/spec and not the player itself.
Disc is amazing. Period.

What we may occasionally lack in throughput* (vs something like Holy's Divine Hymn) we make up for in copious absorbs, Power Word: Barrier, and near never-ending mana.

* not tank throughput. We excel at that.
Edited by Intrigue on 1/22/2012 2:09 AM PST
90 Draenei Shaman
replacing their disc priests after getting 7/8 because

reliable mechanic

water shield + resurgence.

i lol'd
maybe they meant telluric currents on Madness?

But no, really, these people don't know what they're talking about.

85 Blood Elf Paladin
"They don't have a reliable mechanic like judgement, water shield + resurgence. They have also been having trouble maintaining a heavy output and sustaining it without ooming themselves, which starts to become more vital in the heavy burst phases that occur in the new tier".

Judgement doesn't return mana anymore. Unless they mean the reliability of meleeing raid bosses, which isn't always something that can happen.
100 Dwarf Priest
Yeah, this makes no sense to me. Mana hasn't been a problem for me since about the first time we downed Magmaw. I had potions of concentration then to use during the impale phase after I'd burned my other regen cooldowns. Since then? Meh. If someone is having trouble with mana in disc tell them to turn on Inner Will and not cast Prayer of Healing as much.

And tank healing? Disc can heal some tank. That's pretty much what the spec was made to do.
85 Troll Priest
01/22/2012 12:09 AMPosted by Valamuna

...if by "long running joke" you mean, "makes a tank damn near unkillable", then yes.
90 Orc Shaman
I'd rather take a Disc priest for tank healing than a Paladin for single-tank fights. Whoever says that Disc is not a viable tank healer in Cata should just go the way of the lemming
1 Worgen Mage
01/22/2012 01:56 AMPosted by Aisô
The only classes that straight up shouldnt be tank healing (like, shouldnt be focusing tanks) are druids and holy priests.

Holy priests, no, they are wet noodle tank healers....druids, yes, they are actually extremely powerful tank healers if you spec right:

http://www.wowhead.com/talent#0hfZMZMfzIdcruozo:oVcoVZcz

That is pretty much the only way to spec a druid for tank healing(unless you don't dispell, then put that extra point into GotEM and you have mana problems, then take from genesis to moonglow) and it is incredibly powerful IF you play it right. No spreading rejuve around, use WG and Efflo to heal the melee, keep LB on the tank, use HT often and NS on cooldown with HT, use Regrowth on the tank every OOC proc, keep Rejuve on him and pop SM on cooldown. That will net a remarkable amount of single target healing, plus you assist in the raid somewhat.

Stat priorities for tank healing druid is Haste(to second plateau) then mastery-> mastery-> mastery -> Crit.

In order of capabilities:
Paladin -> Disco -> Shaman(raw bust healing) = Druid(sustained splash) -> -> -> Holy.
85 Draenei Priest
In my honest opinion, disc priests are the best tank healer no exception. I feel we simply have the best mechanics for it (Damage prevention, rather than simply giving the HP back), as well as the best mana gen.

whoever dais disc can't tank heal is an absolute terribad who should never even consider raiding again.
90 Blood Elf Priest
Disc priests are hands down the best single tank healers in the game right now.

Paladins only pull ahead in 2 tank scenarios where both simultaneously take damage.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]