Who are tank healers?

(Locked)

85 Draenei Paladin
01/27/2012 02:57 AMPosted by Amaranthea
I'm actually still trying to figure out if he's trolling or not. A priest posting about his amazing divine aegis stacking during heroic spine would probably know how divine aegis worked.

He's trolling.
85 Gnome Priest
A/AA is seriously not for raiding....5 mans sure. LFR sure. the only time i can see it being useful in the least is heroic ultraxion. there is no point in time when i should ever have to spec into it. I will lose actual healing and since we 2 heal im not leaving all the healing to a resto druid because the benefit of the atonement isnt much compared to if i was actually healing. meters or success of fights theres no way an A/AA disc priest can beat or perform better than a regular healing disc priest. I have tried it for hdomo and hultraxion but things work better if i just go shadow...id only be going A/AA to help with dps and side heal. In the two years since i started playing this game seriously again i have never gotten a negative comment about my healing.
85 Undead Priest
01/27/2012 03:21 AMPosted by Tail
He's trolling.
85 Human Paladin
01/27/2012 06:55 AMPosted by Squirtheels
A/AA is seriously not for raiding....5 mans sure. LFR sure. the only time i can see it being useful in the least is heroic ultraxion. there is no point in time when i should ever have to spec into it. I will lose actual healing and since we 2 heal im not leaving all the healing to a resto druid because the benefit of the atonement isnt much compared to if i was actually healing. meters or success of fights theres no way an A/AA disc priest can beat or perform better than a regular healing disc priest. I have tried it for hdomo and hultraxion but things work better if i just go shadow...id only be going A/AA to help with dps and side heal. In the two years since i started playing this game seriously again i have never gotten a negative comment about my healing.

You found a way to make an epic red gem worse than a rare orange gem (legs). That's pretty impressive.
Edited by Amaranthea on 1/27/2012 1:21 PM PST
Haha, good one. You really trolled us. Moving on...
100 Blood Elf Priest
01/27/2012 10:38 AMPosted by Amaranthea
You found a way to make an epic red gem worse than a rare orange gem (legs). That's pretty impressive.

Quite.
1 Worgen Mage
OK. I'll believe 6k non-crit with better gear, raid buffs, and some heavy mastery. I wasn't going to believe 12. My average overall is usually just under 12, and that's boosted considerably by DA's quadruple crits.

(A 6k non-crit DA translates to a 24k crit DA, btw, so there's nothing odd about that, except maybe that you should have crit at some point with AA up and seen a 28k+ one).

I never claimed to be an expert theorycrafter, or even an amateur, and frankly, I always believed that the PoH double dipping with DA was a farce because of the actual Heal of PoH being what causes the DA, regardless if it crits on not. Though that does explain those 24k+ DA procs.

Note I did exclude some of the more exotic DA numbers(for example a big GH crit on a Grace x2 Bear with Glyphed Frenzied up), preferring to just use the double of my average DA as the top number cut off. So there may have indeed been some bigger DA procs from PoH, I simply cannot differentiate them from the rest of the data in the mix.

01/27/2012 02:57 AMPosted by Amaranthea
I'm actually still trying to figure out if he's trolling or not. A priest posting about his amazing divine aegis stacking during heroic spine would probably know how divine aegis worked.

I never troll, though I will occasionally argue with someone when I disagree with their point(squirt on AA/A for example). And again, I always believed that the double dipping on DA from a PoH crit was a farce, apparently I am wrong, I am mature enough to admit that. I have never noticed it double dipping, but then again, I can't monitor the DA amounts on the entire raid all at once while healing and performing the boss strategy.

Either way, I admit that I was wrong about that one part of my math, due to disbelief in the mechanic working in such manner.

And I do agree, the topic has strayed, I apologize everyone.
90 Worgen Druid
01/26/2012 02:52 PMPosted by Sensations
Everyone can tank heal, but Disc>Paladin>Everyone else is usually the order. Although having a paladin tank heal in 25m ds is foolish cause of HR. /endthread

This. I'd say in most circumstances it's Disc > Paladin > Shaman > druid > holy priest. In 25 - man you just cut paladin out of there since they should be on holy radiance duty. Also, druid and shaman may flip spots in 25-man since druids aoe healing isn't as strong in 25-mans, pushing them onto tank duty. Holy priest generally will not be in the right chokra for tank healing in a raid, otherwise they'd be about equal with druids.
90 Human Paladin
All healing classes are viable for tank healing. I don't know what people are talking about. The real question is less about class but more about skill. With proper "rotation", cd usage, and knowing about encounters any healer can tank heal. Some classes can do it easier than others (Paladins represent!) and some require a bit of running start. (Tree heals ftw!) All in all it really depends on the player more so than class.

and that is that.... for that. lol
92 Blood Elf Priest
Disc priests are OP, I don't know what people are talking about.
85 Blood Elf Paladin
01/28/2012 10:18 PMPosted by Tiriél
But I've made it a policy not to argue with "differently rational" people.

Clearly copping out! How could you ever argue that A/AA is good. Psshhhhh...

theres no way an A/AA disc priest can beat or perform better than a regular healing disc priest. I have tried it for hdomo and hultraxion but things work better if i just go shadow..

My feeble little brain just exploded, and I don't even.
92 Human Paladin
01/28/2012 03:08 AMPosted by Stratis
Everyone can tank heal, but Disc>Paladin>Everyone else is usually the order. Although having a paladin tank heal in 25m ds is foolish cause of HR. /endthread

This. I'd say in most circumstances it's Disc > Paladin > Shaman > druid > holy priest. In 25 - man you just cut paladin out of there since they should be on holy radiance duty. Also, druid and shaman may flip spots in 25-man since druids aoe healing isn't as strong in 25-mans, pushing them onto tank duty. Holy priest generally will not be in the right chokra for tank healing in a raid, otherwise they'd be about equal with druids.

Why WOULDN'T you have a Shaman on the tank in 25-man? I run 25-man raids and it's pretty much required for high damage fights like Morchok heroic. That extra HP is a godsend.
100 Night Elf Priest
I have tried it for hdomo and hultraxion but things work better if i just go shadow...id only be going A/AA to help with dps and side heal. In the two years since i started playing this game seriously again i have never gotten a negative comment about my healing.

If your group didn't need you to full on heal at the end of H Ult, then yes, you'd be better off as Shadow. Since this is probably not the case, I'm still leaning toward you not understanding the concept of AA/A.

Or trolling.

I'm also not sure what comments about your healing have anything to do with the topic.
85 Gnome Priest
I'm not trolling. A/AA is not a good spec in any light for serious raiding. the only exception of it being remotely decent is on h ultraxion when dps is SUPERB and one of the healers can 'solo' heal while i half heal and smite/hf. other than that an A/AA disc will not outperform a standard disc priest. i dont get why no one agrees that. in any other heroic mode fight an A/AA priest will not rank or honestly really be useful
85 Blood Elf Priest
Not rank? Have you looked at the disc priest rankings to confirm that no top disc priests are Atonement? Because I'm looking at 25m heroic Madness, Spine and Blackhorn and see Atonement priests not only in the top 100, but also the top 5.
Edited by Nouk on 1/29/2012 12:09 AM PST
85 Gnome Priest
I just dont have mana problems at all so i just dont understand the point of sacrificing certain talents for extra damage as a healer. the 15% and mana back isnt really necessary in some situations. id rather have my SoL, desperate and SoS then doing 4k dps and getting mana back every 3 mins when im around 75% mana for the majority of most fights anyway. it just seems trivial to me. i have faith in the dps in my group and they certainly dont need my help killing a boss, nor would the 15% increased healing help me really since id have to stop ehalign every other or every 2 or whatever to keep up the stacks. id much rahter just be a healer to my group and especially to my tanks. all these priests without SoS really blow my mind. i dont get how they can be at their full potential actually having to wait the 13 seconds to recast pws
100 Night Elf Priest
01/29/2012 12:10 AMPosted by Squirtheels
I just dont have mana problems at all so i just dont understand the point of sacrificing certain talents for extra damage as a healer. the 15% and mana back isnt really necessary in some situations. id rather have my SoL, desperate and SoS then doing 4k dps and getting mana back every 3 mins when im around 75% mana for the majority of most fights anyway. it just seems trivial to me. i have faith in the dps in my group and they certainly dont need my help killing a boss, nor would the 15% increased healing help me really since id have to stop ehalign every other or every 2 or whatever to keep up the stacks. id much rahter just be a healer to my group and especially to my tanks. all these priests without SoS really blow my mind. i dont get how they can be at their full potential actually having to wait the 13 seconds to recast pws

- No one takes AA/A for the mana.

- SoL is a garbage talent.

- AA/A does not require sacrificing SoS; however, that talent is only crucial for Disc priests who primarily tank heal, switch between tank and raid healing, and fights like H Yorsahj..

- The dps I and the other Disc priest did on H Yor'sahj was the difference between our first kill and another wipe. (Together, we accounted for over 1% of the damage dealt to him; if you count the Elemental Shaman's damage, we accounted for 1.5% as healers--or 6.7m health.)

- "every other or every 2" What? No. Raid damage is often like a roller coaster. There are high points, and low points. You build stacks during low points, and use AA just before high points.

- The Atonement heal from Holy Fire is very strong, and can replace Greater Heal in many situations--meaning it's good to cast on cooldown if you're tank healing.

Basically, you're judging a build when you have no idea how it works. :/
Edited by Elethia on 1/29/2012 12:28 AM PST
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]