No Blizzcon - Cancelled in 2012?!

82 Human Paladin

Yes they would have if they were still on schedule with it.

http://www.bgr.com/2010/12/03/blizzard-gm-leaves-company-after-game-roadmap-and-user-data-leak/

It was originally slated for release by the end of next year (2013). Who knows what ring of development hell it resides in now. I'm beginning to wonder if it is on the chopping block and about to join Nova.

That release schedule was disproved a long time ago.

Oh? That's news to me. Would you mind justifying that statement? Because at a glance EVERYTHING on that image has come to fruition except the couple of date slips for Diablo and HotS.
82 Undead Priest
Holy hell! Am I a "neck beard"? I shape it sometimes tl:dr...romantic
85 Human Warlock
I'm disappointed since I was hoping to go this year if I could save up the dough, but I guess it just means that the 2013 one will be twice as good, right?

Or maybe it will just come sooner in 2013? First or second quarter while they get the 3 games they want out and use the money for them? Wonders.

I havn't thought about that. Blizzcon was October last year. Maybe in 2013, it will come in January, which would only be a year and three months since last years! ^_^

That wouldn't be so bad. Maybe the next Blizzcon will just be a few months late.
Edited by Nephthys on 1/25/2012 9:27 AM PST
90 Tauren Warrior
tldr. saw article though. I am disappoint.
90 Worgen Druid
i keep hearing blizzard losing alot of its players but whats driving those numbers? is it cause next expansion pack will have no new profession? or is it because its a panda? or because talent point system is so different that no one likes it? whats driving these numbers down i do have to admit blizzard been giving us less and less with each expansion except BC
85 Human Warlock
01/25/2012 09:34 AMPosted by Nèmesis
i keep hearing blizzard losing alot of its players but whats driving those numbers? is it cause next expansion pack will have no new profession? or is it because its a panda? or because talent point system is so different that no one likes it? whats driving these numbers down i do have to admit blizzard been giving us less and less with each expansion except BC

I'm not totally sure. A lot of people claim it's due to the economy, and less people are paying for trivial things. Who knows?

No matter what the reason is, I don't think it's because of MoP. Bliz saw their decline WELL before MoP was even rumored, let alone officially announced.

That said, sadly, I don't think MoP helps matters that much. It's by far the most unanticipated expansion to date. People just aren't excited about it, en masse, like the others. :/ I don't understand why Bliz refuses to give us the expansion that SOOO many people have been asking for, for years: THE EMERALD DREAM!

And yeah...I know what people say..."Bliz can never do The Emerald Dream now, because the book covered it, and ruined any chance for an expansion." To that I say, "So?" Your telling me that just because Richard Knaak decided to write about it, that means it's hands-off as an expansion? I don't buy that. There's many ways Bliz can make it work, by either retconning the novel all together, or making a prequel expansion, or whatever. The fact is, The Emerald Dream is the most highly desired expansion, and it boggles my mind why Bliz never gave it to us. (Heck, the Emerald Dream zones actually still exist in-game! That means it *was* considered at SOME point.)
Edited by Nephthys on 1/25/2012 9:42 AM PST
90 Troll Mage
It's really sad for us. Our 25 man raid finally broke up this week, after a few officers retired, some players went to SWTOR, and just really bad recruiting since we are on a low pop server and are in the backend of where most 25 man raids are (2/8H).

We've been slowly picking up steam at Blizzcons. Having had about 5 people at our first Blizzcon in 09, in 2010 we had a turnout of about 7, then last year we had 12 raiders show up. We were looking at a turnout of possibly 20 next Blizzcon. Pushing it off for an additional year after our guild has fallen seems like it just won't be possible. Maybe we'll push for something in Vegas? If we do, I'm inviting Zarhym!
Community Manager
Yeah it's a bit disappointing because we all really do enjoy being able to 'open the doors' so to speak. But, it is an enormous effort by all employees, including our game designers and artists, not to mention customer support and quality assurance, PR, our business departments, and *hot breath on fingernails & shirt rub* Community & eSports to make a BlizzCon happen. In a year when we're working to release multiple titles (knock on wood) it makes sense to focus our efforts. Also with multiple game releases we just wonder if we'd be at a point with any of them where we'd have anything really big or new or cool to talk about.

We didn't have a BlizzCon in 2006 either, and at that time we were really strong on the idea that BlizzCon isn't really supposed to be and doesn't have to be an annual event. Of course then we have it for five straight years in a row... which obviously built some expectation.

Personally I always enjoy seeing the excitement, the rushing crowds, hearing the clicking of mice on the demo stations, and waiting in agony as the seconds countdown to an announcement and then the waves of emotion from the crowd that follow it. But thinking about our year and what we're trying to get done already without a BlizzCon, and having to think pretty hard about what we'd have to announce or demo, it just makes sense to me not to have one.

Here's to the Battle.net World Championship, it's going to be awesome, and to a bigger and better BlizzCon in 2013.
Edited by Bashiok on 1/25/2012 9:50 AM PST
90 Night Elf Warrior
01/25/2012 05:59 AMPosted by Farhandl
Wow....that kinda sends out a strange signal, doesn't it....

first this, now the servers are down for "maintenance".....

the end is near folks..... run for your lives....
90 Human Paladin
Yeah it's a bit disappointing because we all really do enjoy being able to 'open the doors' so to speak. But, it is an enormous effort by all employees, including our game designers and artists, to make a BlizzCon happen. In a year when we're working to release multiple titles (knock on wood) it makes sense to focus our efforts. Also with three game releases we just wonder if we'd be at a point with any of them where we'd have anything really big or new or cool to talk about.

We didn't have a BlizzCon in 2006 either, and at that time we were really strong on the idea that BlizzCon isn't really supposed to be and doesn't have to be an annual event. Of course then we have it for five straight years in a row which obviously builds some expectation.

Personally I always enjoy seeing the excitement, the rushing crowds, hearing the clicking of mice on the demo stations, and waiting in agony as the seconds countdown to an announcement and then the waves of emotion from the crowd that follow it. But thinking about our year and what we're trying to get done already without a BlizzCon, and having to think pretty hard about what we'd even have to announce or demo, it just makes sense to me not to have one.

Here's to the Battle.net World Championship, it's going to be awesome, and to a bigger and better BlizzCon in 2013.

Exactly, people forget Blizzard has 3 major releases comming out this year. Thats a lot of work.

90 Human Death Knight
Sucks you guys put the B.net championship in Asia. :(
90 Troll Druid
Glad to hear a bit of a clearer explanation from a Blue!

I loved BlizzCon '11. Hopefully we'll see a 2013 one on the horizon :)
90 Human Paladin
I mean Diablo 3 is cool and amazing but it doesnt take up 3 games

Ok yes it does nvm

.. Diablo 3, Mists of Pandaria, Heart of the Swarm...
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]