No Blizzcon - Cancelled in 2012?!

90 Human Rogue
I'm not too worried. Considering that they're prepping two, maybe three games for release this year, They deserve some rest (and that's not even mentioning their ongoing projects, projects we don't know about, and esports events).
85 Night Elf Rogue
First world problems.
90 Night Elf Warrior
Sounds like they don't have the overhead for the event....
90 Worgen Mage
01/25/2012 09:45 AMPosted by Bashiok
Here's to the Battle.net World Championship, it's going to be awesome, and to a bigger and better BlizzCon in 2013.

Yeah, but it's Asia. I can't go to that unfortunately. =(

Thanks for the post. Does make sense since there's no big announcements, but I still think it's a show worth running because it's a way for some of the most loyal and upbeat fans to gather and show their support. I'm guessing that the 2012 one might have been the Titan announcement year, but I suppose the game needs more development time.
Edited by Digerati on 1/25/2012 10:14 AM PST
Community Manager
01/25/2012 10:04 AMPosted by Kaltanna
Also with multiple game releases we just wonder if we'd be at a point with any of them where we'd have anything really big or new or cool to talk about.

I hope I'm reading and interpreting this incorrectly.

I'm not sure how you're reading and interpreting it. But it's good to have hope.
Here's to the Battle.net World Championship, it's going to be awesome, and to a bigger and better BlizzCon in 2013.

Yeah, but it's Asia. I can't go to that unfortunately. =(

Thanks for the post. Does make sense since there's no big announcements, but I still think it's a show worth running because it's a way for some of the most loyal and upbeat fans to gather and show their support. I'm guessing that the 2012 one might have been the Titan announcement year, but I suppose the game needs more development time.

Face it we matter a lot less than Aisa..at least that's how I feel it is where the vast majority of their customers are...some folks are speculating that currently TOR has more subs in their western market than WoW has in their western market. I mean MOP is pretty much a love letter to them....I wish it was otherwise but it isn't.
Edited by Jadden on 1/25/2012 10:23 AM PST
86 Dwarf Shaman
01/25/2012 10:15 AMPosted by Bashiok

I hope I'm reading and interpreting this incorrectly.

I'm not sure how you're reading and interpreting it. But it's good to have hope.

Bash, with Blizzcon being moved to 2013, does it look like it will be held earlier in the year or still be staying at its normal time in October?

Also what are blizzards plans about moving Blizzcon back, if the Mayan Calender turns out to be correct?
90 Undead Priest
01/25/2012 10:13 AMPosted by Fornacis

That's what I was thinking... has Blizzard had layoffs recently? Blizzcon last year didn't attract as many people as previous years, obviously that fact hasn't escaped the people in charge (who care about money money money...), I wonder if they figured they'd loose money by holding Blizzcon this year...

Saying it's cuz they are releasing 3 games doesn't really make sense because Blizzard has had that many releases in years past and still held Blizzcon.. Very strange... Of course, this could also be publicity seeking... just to make you wonder what they are up to... make you think they are working on something big...
Edited by Dreary on 1/25/2012 10:19 AM PST
01/25/2012 10:19 AMPosted by Dreary

That's what I was thinking... has Blizzard had layoffs recently? Blizzcon last year didn't attract as many people as previous years, obviously that fact hasn't escaped the people in charge (who care about money money money...), I wonder if they figured they'd loose money by holding Blizzcon this year...

Saying it's cuz they are releasing 3 games doesn't really make sense because Blizzard has had that many releases in years past and still held Blizzcon.. Very strange... Of course, this could also be publicity seeking... just to make you wonder what they are up to... make you think they are working on something big...

Actually it did attract as many people and sold out just as fast...but everyone I talked to said it was in the air you could just tell it was the last Blizzcon...which makes me sad I missed it even more.
85 Blood Elf Paladin
taking this year off from blizzcom which means that blizzcon 2013 could be a huge year for blizzard.
So my hope for blizzcon 2013 well include: D3 xpack, 2nd SCII xpack, 5th wow xpack and hope for the talks about project titan. :)
85 Blood Elf Death Knight

Face it we matter a lot less than Aisa..it's where the vast majority of their customers are...some folks are speculating that currently TOR has more subs in their western market than WoW has in their western market. I mean MOP is pretty much a love letter to them....I wish it was otherwise but it isn't.

I would say that is your take on it and not an accurate one.
85 Worgen Druid
If we get the following:

a) A solid, engaging story for MoP (rather than the rather...missed potential of Cataclysm)
b) A truly fun 2013 Blizzcon with great announcements, no developers picking at one faction or the other or running offensive videos

...then I'm cool with it.

Get on it, Blizz! Make us a cool story! :P
90 Dwarf Hunter
01/25/2012 08:29 AMPosted by Tianjan
I'm sorry, but I see this thread and all I can think of is a bunch of Muppets running around, arms flailing in the air, screaming about how they're on fire.

I literally LOL'ed at that imagery. Thanks for the funnies!

It's a business decision. It hasn't been the best year for WoW, and frankly, I'd be surprised if they didn't decide to make some changes -- like this one -- to try something different. Honestly? I'd rather have them focusing their energy on the games themselves than on a giant social gathering. I'm sure skipping a year won't kill anyone.

/agree
90 Night Elf Hunter
Good. Because I graduate in 2013 and can finally have a vacation!

Face it we matter a lot less than Aisa..it's where the vast majority of their customers are...some folks are speculating that currently TOR has more subs in their western market than WoW has in their western market. I mean MOP is pretty much a love letter to them....I wish it was otherwise but it isn't.

I would say that is your take on it and not an accurate one.

Actually I do hope I'm wrong; Blizzard just hasn't done much lately to prove otherwise to me.
90 Human Warrior
I was surprised when I heard that there wasn't going to be a BlizzCon this year but at the same time, I think I'd like to actually see the games released sooner rather than later.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]