No Blizzcon - Cancelled in 2012?!

90 Undead Warrior
No Blizzcon this year...OMG the Mayans were right. It's the end of the world......of warcraft.
90 Human Warrior
Bring it to Las Vegas
22 Night Elf Priest
01/25/2012 10:18 AMPosted by Anna
Why do asians matter that much? Ok so they spend all day playing sc2 big deal? It's not like they actually buy starcraft/sc2.. most of the popular korean esports players even admitted to pirating the original starcraft.. yet myself and many other AMERICANS continue to pay $15 to get treated like third world denizens

Please. You are NOT contributing to Blizzard more than Korean esports teams. Firstly, SC2 REQUIRES connection to Bnet, which REQUIRES the players/teams to purchase every copy. Secondly, Korean esports made Starcraft so popular, that millions of people bought the game. Your $15/month is insignificant to what Korean esports has contributed.

Having said that, the subscription fee for WoW has provided less and less value to the customer over time. The "big" features of MoP should have been added as non-expansion patch changes. Really, that is why there is so much dislike for MoP: There are absolutely no meaningful features in MoP, with minor PvE changes being touted as big features for MoP.

Where are the development time going? Adding a timer to dungeons and renaming it to "Challenge Mode" takes little effort, it is appalling to try to sell these minor features as the next big thing when they should be included as a non-expansion patch.

With the simplification of the talent trees that is really just reorganizing the player skills to hide the lack of any character progression, the changes to the talent system every expansion doesn't change the fact that everything has been done to RESTRICT choices to make things easier for the developers. By simplifying the talents, it takes less work to balance, which brings me back to the question, where are the development/design time going?

The cancellation of Blizzcon is the step in the right direction to getting employees back to work. I have seen time and time again that companies with excessive benefits to the employees are so unproductive, that a feature that normally takes 1 programmer 1 week to create, ends up taking 3 months for a team of 10 programmers to do the same thing.

Big companies usually have so much bureaucracy and combined with employees chatting, surfing the web, or playing foosball instead of actually working, the excessive benefits and lack of oversight causes the downfall of lots of enterprise-level applications (Windows 95, 98, ME, Vista, etc). I believe something similar is happening at Blizzard.

If one compares Diablo 3 and Guild Wars 2, Diablo 3 offers a LOT less value to the customer. GW2 will be priced the same as D3, with _no monthly fee_. Yet, GW2 offers a persistent world, massive land mass, underwater combat, Dynamic Events and a full MMO experience. Compared that to Diablo 3, which costs customers the same $60, yet the features provided by D3 pales in comparison to the numerous features provided by GW2.

Blizzard's "iterative process" is costing so much development time, why doesn't Blizzard actually plan the system correctly in the first place instead of spending so much time going back and forth? It took the D3 team years of mucking around with the skill/rune system to come up with a similar design as GW2 that the Arenanet guys conceived right from the get-go.
Edited by Jesriel on 1/25/2012 11:15 AM PST
85 Human Warlock
01/25/2012 10:49 AMPosted by Synatra
Bring it to Las Vegas

NOOO!! Bring it to New York, so I can actually have the motivation to go. lol. (I know it will never happen, since Bliz is West Coast-based, but...meh)
90 Dwarf Warrior
Also very disappointed to hear. I haven't regularly been able to attend BlizzCon in the past (since I live on the opposite end of the country), but I've ordered all of the Virtual Tickets that have been made available and it's always a great event to look forward to. I'm hoping to make my way out there one of these years to visit in person, but I'm still quite disappointed to hear that it wont be held in 2012. Would MUCH rather view/attend a BlizzCon than an eSports event any day. Oh well, here's to being hopeful things will change before the end of the year.
85 Orc Shaman
01/25/2012 10:21 AMPosted by Jadden
Actually it did attract as many people and sold out just as fast...but everyone I talked to said it was in the air you could just tell it was the last Blizzcon...which makes me sad I missed it even more.

It felt nothing like that.
85 Draenei Shaman
They really have nothing to announce. D3 Mop and Sc2 Have all had their information released about their games. The only thing they could announce / talk about new would be Titan. Which obviously they don't want to.

Blizzcon isnt about getting together and having a good time with the blizzard staff. It's about Blizzard announcing their new products and press releases.
90 Worgen Warrior
01/25/2012 10:15 AMPosted by Bashiok

I hope I'm reading and interpreting this incorrectly.

I'm not sure how you're reading and interpreting it. But it's good to have hope.

I read it as you being unsure you have accomplished anything of note to interest the fanbase since the last blizzcon and you don't expect to do so by the end of 2012

Which is really sad because we know nothing about titan other than it will be a mmo that is not related to any other blizzard franchise.
85 Human Warlock
Actually it did attract as many people and sold out just as fast...but everyone I talked to said it was in the air you could just tell it was the last Blizzcon...which makes me sad I missed it even more.

I tell ya what I got from it (from watching it online, at least).....

When Metzen made the announcement, he almost RAN off the stage right before the trailer. And then....everything just ended. (And the clapping and cheers were VERY subdued)

Back when Cataclysm was announced. Metzen seemed SOO much more hyped up, like he couldn't WAIT to show us what the new expansion was going to be about. (and the cheers and claps were thunderous.)

It's almost as if Bliz knew players would be disappointed.

In any case, it def seemed like a subdued Blizzcon. I wasn't there, granted. I'm just going by what I saw online, when I compare the two.
Edited by Nephthys on 1/25/2012 11:00 AM PST
85 Goblin Warlock
Developing multiple titles has never stopped the 'Con b4. My money is on a "Titan MMO" announcement and their just using the year off to get all the new Titan statues & junk ready for the convention center next year.

Makes sense, SW:TOR wasn't that big of a success and only Guild Wars 2 is on the horizon so releasing Titan soon is an epic move.
Edited by Unearthing on 1/25/2012 11:00 AM PST
90 Undead Warlock
I am also really disappointed. 2011 was my first Blizzcon, and I decided at the time I was going to make the trip to California every year after that. (I am an east coaster.) For reasons which don't have very much to do with WoW, my whole trip meant a lot to me, so I was looking forward to Blizzcon 2012. I never even considered that it might be canceled.

Maybe I can travel to California anyway, and throw water balloons at Community staff members' windows. Would I have to throw very high? I assume this is an acceptable way to express my appreciation.

85 Orc Shaman
Kinda disappointed. This was the first time in a long while I was actually going to have the spare cash to get a couple tickets and not just watch the live stream. :(
90 Undead Warlock

When Metzen made the announcement, he almost RAN off the stage right before the trailer. And then....everything just ended. (And the clapping and cheers were VERY subdued)

I mean, this is pretty much nonsense. There was nothing subdued about it - I don't even see how that would be open to interpretation. Also, having met Chris at the bar after the event concluded, I would characterize his level of enthusiasm as extremely high. He had no obligation to mingle with fans after the event but did so anyway. If you wanted to accuse Street of viewing public events as a necessary evil, I would agree with you there. But Metzen clearly lives for this sort of thing.
85 Orc Shaman

I'm not sure how you're reading and interpreting it. But it's good to have hope.

I read it as you being unsure you have accomplished anything of note to interest the fanbase since the last blizzcon and you don't expect to do so by the end of 2012

Which is really sad because we know nothing about titan other than it will be a mmo that is not related to any other blizzard franchise.

It means that they hope to release 3 games this year and that there would be no new exciting info to share at Blizzcon. They wouldn't be ready to announce a new Diablo/SC/WoW expansion when they all just released or are about to release. And Titan is still probably a ways off.
MVP - Technical Support
90 Human Warrior
01/25/2012 11:04 AMPosted by Trogdoroth
It means that they hope to release 3 games this year and that there would be no new exciting info to share at Blizzcon. They wouldn't be ready to announce a new Diablo/SC/WoW expansion when they all just released or are about to release. And Titan is still probably a ways off.

^
Exactly, people forget Blizzard has 3 major releases comming out this year. Thats a lot of work.

^

exactly, damned if they do damned if they don't really. If they did do blizzcon 2012 and got on stage what would they say "so, how you enjoying those 3 games we launched this year?". People would complain about lack of product announcements. If they don't, people will complain about lack of event.

Blizzcon doesn't look like it aligns with any product announcements this year. 3 diff games/expansions will launch soon, which is pretty massive, but we already know that. Until they have something new to say, like blizzcon 2013, they feel their time is better spent on those 3 titles. That's what i gather anyways.
Edited by Omegal on 1/25/2012 11:08 AM PST
85 Orc Shaman
01/25/2012 10:59 AMPosted by Nephthys

Back when Cataclysm was announced. Metzen seemed SOO much more hyped up, like he couldn't WAIT to show us what the new expansion was going to be about. (and the cheers and claps were thunderous.)

It's almost as if Bliz knew players would be disappointed.

In any case, it def seemed like a subdued Blizzcon. I wasn't there, granted. I'm just going by what I saw online, when I compare the two.

It felt pretty much exactly like every other Blizzcon I've been to before.
6 Draenei Warrior
Battle.net was something forced on us. I still treat it the way I treated high school; I tolerate it because I have 0 alternate choice. Now it's supposed to replace Blizzcon? Neato. Sorry, won't be participating in it in any way (including watching).

Kind of surprised it as cancelled due to "schedules" for working on games; you've done BC and Wrath and Cata and still found time (save '06). Oh well. Pretty big let down for the fans, but that's all the boards have been full of lately anyway.
82 Orc Warrior
Hopefully they'll use this opportunity to do more Q&A from the developers in the absence of Blizzcon.
90 Night Elf Priest

Bull! I know someone that was there and it was not in anyway subdued. The energy was quite high. When they put live streams up they have to clear out noise so that those watching can hear what is being said and not all the other noise going on.
85 Human Warlock

I mean, this is pretty much nonsense. There was nothing subdued about it - I don't even see how that would be open to interpretation. Also, having met Chris at the bar after the event concluded, I would characterize his level of enthusiasm as extremely high. He had no obligation to mingle with fans after the event but did so anyway. If you wanted to accuse Street of viewing public events as a necessary evil, I would agree with you there. But Metzen clearly lives for this sort of thing.

Well, you were threre, so I am not going to doubt ya. :)

Again, it's just how I saw it online. It just *looked* like the 2009 Blizzcon was much much more lively and the fans themselves seemed more enthused as well. Watch YouTube clips of the MoP announcement, in some of them, you can hear groans when MoP was shown to be the expansion. (Believe me, I'm NOT personally against MoP! I'm actually beyond psyched for the pet battles. Also, I do think MoP will surprise a lot of the naysayers!)
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]