No Blizzcon - Cancelled in 2012?!

85 Human Paladin
A lot of people (including myself) were expecting a Titan announcement. So i figure it would have been a downer for Blizzcon 2012 when it wasnt announced. 2013 will be epic i believe.
86 Blood Elf Death Knight
01/25/2012 11:23 AMPosted by Nephthys
I just remember hearing that they claimed they didn't make that much of a profit from Blizzcon and that it was something they wanted to do for fun not for profit (could be mistaken, don't have a quote). I'm not saying they don't make money off of blizzcon but It seems a logical reason to hold the Con every two years instead of one to save coin.

As I said before, while they DONT make instant profit, per se at Blizzcon....do you honestly think a business would put on such an event for FUN? Def not.

There's an underlying reason why they put on such events and it's publicity. The publicity from putting on Blizzcon (hopefully) is supposed to increase their profit margin over time. Perhaps they realize that lately it's not making as much of a subscription boost as it once did? (Just speculating).

Just, don't get caught up in thinking that they are putting on such an event to be nice and to have fun. The world *should* work that way, but it doesn't. :(

Haha yeah I'm with ya on that. I agree they wouldn't do it to be nice. You worded it better than me, this is what I was thinking--- "Perhaps they realize that lately it's not making as much of a subscription boost as it once did?"
90 Tauren Shaman
Sweet! Maybe now they can finish D3 instead of @%#@ing around with Blizzcon crap.
22 Night Elf Priest

Panderan were the single most requested piece of content players asked for year after year.

They are still widely looked forward to by the silent majority who just play the game instead of the vocal minority that play the forums.

The negative reception of MoP from the "minority" is not fully due the announcement of the Pandaren. The problem is that MoP has absolutely no meaningful features for the fans to focus on, so fans focused on minor things that they didn't like about MoP.

If MoP was announced with a major feature being mounted combat, with every class given unique skills on land and flying mounts (instead of the failed Argent Crusade), players would actually be interested.

Imagine if players can level-up and put armor on mounts, with new battleground / dungeons that makes use of mounted units to recreate the same sense of battle in WarCraft 3, fans would actually provide a more positive reception instead of complaining about Pandarens.

Instead of just claiming that MoP will be about the conflict between Horde and Alliance, Blizzard could have used the mounted-combat implementation to create an epic trailer for MoP. Instead, they opted to not showcase any "conflict" that they claim throughout the entire Blizzcon.

Of course, Blizzard doesn't want to create any extra balancing work for themselves, so they opted to create simple and basic additions for MoP. And their continual strive to make the game simpler to prevent any extra programming / design work is showing through the lack of meaningful features in MoP, and that is what caused the negative reception to MoP.

The fact is, other than the Pet Battles side-game, the "big" features of MoP are nothing more than minor programming changes to the current PvE content. Adding a timer to dungeons and calling it "Challenge Mode" is such a minor modification to the current system, it should NOT be touted as a big feature of MoP.

If I was a customer that left WoW, all the minor stuff that MoP is adding won't compel me to resubscribe.
Edited by Jesriel on 1/25/2012 11:54 AM PST
85 Undead Rogue
If I was a customer that left WoW, all the minor stuff that MoP is adding won't compel me to resubscribe.

How the hell is an entire expansion of content, including a new race and a new class, minor?

Oh, you're one of the people who will always throw a fit, no matter what Blizzard does. Okay. Let me guess....you won't be happy until you have player housing or the dance studio, right?
Edited by Bulreporting on 1/25/2012 11:35 AM PST
85 Draenei Paladin
Really? Announcing that there will not be a Blizzcon when MoP/D3 are supposed to release in this calendar year doesn't do very well with those of us who are already wary of the dates for those two to actually release.

I may be wrong, but the connotation of this news is a bad one for those of us who are still playing WoW. While D3 may come sooner rather than later, we are already at a tipping point with current WoW content. By canceling Blizzcon we as consumers will now assume that we will not see MoP til the latter half of the year (which is far too long a wait based on current status of WoW) and that Heart of the Swarm will be a Christmas Season release. Its all fine and good to give us a heads up on this new esports venture in 2012, but your PR people should have kept the lid on the "no Blizzcon for 2012" for obvious reasons.

What we need now is some better news and quickly. A Release date for D3, or better yet a beta start date for MoP.
85 Undead Rogue
01/25/2012 11:34 AMPosted by Tyrathius
Until they can learn how to host an event without flipping off half their playerbase, it's probably for the best.

The people throwing temper tantrums about MoP or whatever their issue is are not half. They're probably not even 5%

There are around 10,000,000 players. Ten MILLION players. If half, or a majority, or even a lot of them were upset, do you really think you'd only be seeing a few handfuls of forum posts about it?
86 Blood Elf Death Knight
01/25/2012 11:34 AMPosted by Tyrathius
Until they can learn how to host an event without flipping off half their playerbase, it's probably for the best.

Bah not this again. I play Alliance and horde, suck it up. People need to stop being so touchy and realize the Horde and the Alliance are fictitious factions in a game.
85 Undead Rogue
Really? Announcing that there will not be a Blizzcon when MoP/D3 are supposed to release in this calendar year doesn't do very well with those of us who are already wary of the dates for those two to actually release.

I may be wrong, but the connotation of this news is a bad one for those of us who are still playing WoW. While D3 may come sooner rather than later, we are already at a tipping point with current WoW content. By canceling Blizzcon we as consumers will now assume that we will not see MoP til the latter half of the year (which is far too long a wait based on current status of WoW) and that Heart of the Swarm will be a Christmas Season release. Its all fine and good to give us a heads up on this new esports venture in 2012, but your PR people should have kept the lid on the "no Blizzcon for 2012" for obvious reasons.

What we need now is some better news and quickly. A Release date for D3, or better yet a beta start date for MoP.

I tried to read your post but all I could see was "I'M MAD BECAUSE ALL OF THE ASSUMPTIONS I JUST FABRICATED FROM NOTHING ARE NOT WHAT I WANT TO HEAR" over and over and over. Typo?

Also, waiting to say "no BlizzCon" would be infinitely more harmful than saying it as soon as they know for sure. Cons: Stupid people start reading waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too far into the announcement. Pros: They don't get tens of thousands of people pissed off because they wasted hundreds or thousands of dollars on cosplay and planning and whatnot.
Edited by Bulreporting on 1/25/2012 11:47 AM PST
90 Troll Shaman
But I wanna see how far along Diablo 3 and Mists of Pandaria come along in October!
85 Undead Rogue
http://www.titanicuniverse.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/titanic-sinking-underwater.jpg

Blizzard entertainment in a nutshell.

No, this is Blizzard in a nutshell: (picture a small snowstorm in a walnut)

Also, try harder, 0/10
90 Human Death Knight
if that was they case maybe they should of hosted it as *GASP* another location them maybe more people could go and not have to spend a kings ransom to do it. it's kind of self serving to host a event like blizzcon at the same place has your HQ EVERY YEAR. it would be like Microsoft hosting a Xbox event every year from there HQ local every year instead of travailing to all the events that they do.
20 Orc Warlock
01/25/2012 06:19 AMPosted by Mosana

This

Have fun waiting for your end. I'll just loot your stuff and sell it so I can drive a new car in 2013.

New shirt design I am thinking of for 2013: The world ended and all I got was this lousy t-shirt"
90 Night Elf Hunter
What a shame, ppl should get together and have a big cosplay type meeting anyhow. :D

[Ed: Make it a local thing in your capital city :D that'd be cool. The unofficial Blizzcon occurring internationally ]
Edited by Jimindar on 1/25/2012 12:11 PM PST
85 Undead Rogue

No, this is Blizzard in a nutshell: (picture a small snowstorm in a walnut)

Also, try harder, 0/10

I'm not trying at all, it's the honest truth.

4.3.0 Was junk when it came to dragon soul (LOL Rehashed dragonblight and no new boss models.) Even ICC had custom boss models, and that raid was more rushed then Dragon soul.

Edit: 4.3.2 Had no freaking reason not be released this week either.
Need a pvp change? You're going to have to wait 5 weeks so we can test it on the PTR even though we said we didn't want protection to be valuable in pvp.

Need to make a few minor changes to D3 that wouldn't have effected release at all? HOLY !@#$ WE'RE NOT RELEASING IT YET.

SC2 Is a joke as well, I'm surprised anyone still plays it.

Fact is, Blizzard is a titanic, sinking slowly when it comes to quality.

I was going to argue with you a bit, but then I realized you made your assessment of the entire 8 year franchise on a single content patch.

Also, your comment regarding SC2 is silly. You don't like it, fine, but the other millions of people who play it worldwide, including the sponsors and spectators and the millions and millions of dollars spent on it every year say you're waaaaaaay wrong.

Fact is, anti-fanboys being anti-fanboys is trolling no matter how you look at it.
Edited by Bulreporting on 1/25/2012 12:10 PM PST
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]