No Blizzcon - Cancelled in 2012?!

90 Human Paladin
I'm sad this was the year I was planning on going. Better get Diablo 3 out or we all gonna lose our minds.
85 Blood Elf Warrior
With so many new things coming up for Blizz, I totally get this. I've helped to organize conferences before (albeit on a smaller scale than Blizzcon) and I can only imagine what they have to do to put together such a wildly successful event.

Looking forward to Blizzcon '13 -- keep it up!
85 Human Mage
Nope.. I would totally take a blizzcon over panda's tbh.
85 Dwarf Mage
I am sad, but I would rather they maintain integrity by saying we have no announcements, nothing going on, so we dont need to throw the event.

I would be SO disappointed if they threw the huge event and said nothing... all tourneys and the like... they could totally have done it for the money and they chose not too... that makes me feel good about them as a company!

So now, I will look forward to 2013 Blizzcon, and here is to hoping that MoP comes out really soon :D
90 Human Paladin
01/25/2012 02:21 PMPosted by Lucifay
And also from the very overpriced water and food, especially hot dogs.

Food money goes directly to the convention center, not the staff

But first rule of cons, never eat at the con center.
90 Tauren Druid
As I said before, while they DONT make instant profit, per se at Blizzcon....do you honestly think a business would put on such an event for FUN? Def not.

Oh I think they make huge profit from it. Revenue from tickets. Revenue from exhibitors (like nvidia, steel series, etc.). Massive revenue from ultra overpriced gear at the Blizzard store - yes I'm a nerd and bought my $100+ hoodie, and so did 1000's of other ppl.

Remember, the event is operated by, and the content primarily filled by, existing staff. That's a fixed cost that they've already paid for. I'm not suggesting there wouldn't be additional expenses. But I think the revenue far exceeds them.

They lose money when they do it.

That $100 hoodie didn't come from Blizzard it came from Jinx, yeah Blizzard will get a portion of the money but Jinx will see the majority.

Also keep in mind that for the floor space alone for 2 days Blizzard spent over $200K

Then all the workers there doing security, cleaning up, etc... aren't Blizzard employees they are employees of the Anaheim Convention center that Blizzard has to pay an hourly rate for. The same with the rented seats and barriers and other stuff.

At the end of the day between advertising, rentals, equipment, etc... I am betting it costs Blizzard $500K to $1mil at least to do a Blizzcon once you factor in lost productivity of the employees going there.
Edited by Draug on 1/25/2012 2:43 PM PST
88 Night Elf Death Knight
01/25/2012 02:43 PMPosted by Draug

Oh I think they make huge profit from it. Revenue from tickets. Revenue from exhibitors (like nvidia, steel series, etc.). Massive revenue from ultra overpriced gear at the Blizzard store - yes I'm a nerd and bought my $100+ hoodie, and so did 1000's of other ppl.

Remember, the event is operated by, and the content primarily filled by, existing staff. That's a fixed cost that they've already paid for. I'm not suggesting there wouldn't be additional expenses. But I think the revenue far exceeds them.

That $100 hoodie didn't come from Blizzard it came from Jinx, yeah Blizzard will get a portion of the money but Jinx will see the majority.

Also keep in mind that for the floor space alone for 2 days Blizzard spent over $200K

Then all the workers there doing security, cleaning up, etc... aren't Blizzard employees they are employees of the Anaheim Convention center that Blizzard has to pay an hourly rate for. The same with the rented seats and barriers and other stuff.

At the end of the day between advertising, rentals, equipment, etc... I am betting it costs Blizzard $500K to $1mil at least to do a Blizzcon once you factor in lost productivity of the employees going there.

and lest not forget that the temp jobs generated by blizzcon aren't going to exist this year.
80 Draenei Paladin
:(

I was actually planning on going to Blizzcon this year too...

:'(
87 Undead Warlock
01/25/2012 05:59 AMPosted by Astraeä
Did you ever stop to think, that with all the controversy of last years BlizzCon, that they just didnt want to go through that again? Needless to say, it will save me money this year, and I like that.

Pah! As if there is controversy every Blizzcon?

I'm disappointed since I was hoping to go this year if I could save up the dough, but I guess it just means that the 2013 one will be twice as good, right?

2013 probably means time for titan, so it might be worth going to that one.

True dat.

But the year without a Blizzcon.

Its like the year without a summer.
Edited by Garamsythe on 1/25/2012 2:54 PM PST
85 Troll Warlock

Factor in, 175 a ticket * 26000 attendees = $4,550,000. Not including the income of all the money they brought in from the Digital Partnership with DirecTV, I'm pretty sure they come a lot closer to breaking even.

I admit they do lose money on the deal, but not nearly as much as you are implying.

Between Planning, Venue, Ending Act, Employee Man hours preparing, during, and after, catering, and clean up. The company does take a loss, but the benefit of the convention not only for the players, but for the employee's can be seen as a critical charge being provided to everyone involved.

I know if it weren't for Blizzcon, my subscription would still be suspended. I know several Employee's who spend all year working themselves to death to produce the games and artwork, when Blizzcon comes it gives them a chance to recharge and spend time with the fans, and really reconnect with the players. Giving them the boost they need to do it for another year.

It may prove to cost Blizzard monetarily, but it proves to improve productivity of its employee's and the morale of the customer base.
Edited by Shaytan on 1/25/2012 2:56 PM PST
90 Gnome Death Knight
First year I had wanted to go to a Blizzcon and had even talked about going with a group, bummer. /sadpanda.
90 Dwarf Paladin
But thinking about our year and what we're trying to get done already without a BlizzCon, and having to think pretty hard about what we'd have to announce or demo, it just makes sense to me not to have one.

Silly Bashiok, you forgot about Project Titan!

EDIT: Or are you not allowed to know anything about it yet?
Edited by Footsz on 1/25/2012 3:07 PM PST
90 Night Elf Death Knight
Hearing this made me sad =( I was already getting all excited for BlizzCon this year. Oh well, as long as the world is still here for it next year!
90 Tauren Druid

Factor in, 175 a ticket * 26000 attendees = $4,550,000. Not including the income of all the money they brought in from the Digital Partnership with DirecTV, I'm pretty sure they come a lot closer to breaking even.

I admit they do lose money on the deal, but not nearly as much as you are implying.

Between Planning, Venue, Ending Act, Employee Man hours preparing, during, and after, catering, and clean up. The company does take a loss, but the benefit of the convention not only for the players, but for the employee's can be seen as a critical charge being provided to everyone involved.

I know if it weren't for Blizzcon, my subscription would still be suspended. I know several Employee's who spend all year working themselves to death to produce the games and artwork, when Blizzcon comes it gives them a chance to recharge and spend time with the fans, and really reconnect with the players. Giving them the boost they need to do it for another year.

It may prove to cost Blizzard monetarily, but it proves to improve productivity of its employee's and the morale of the customer base.

Oh yes, conventions by and large are a money losing venture for most people except the owner of the convention hall, and the city it is hosted in.

As far as buzz wise though, they are one of the best things for your product, which is why there are so many different conventions for different things everywhere.

The problem this year though is Blizzard isn't really going to have anything to toss out there and get people excited about. So it isn't going to be worth the cost because it isn't going to bring in anything in the long run.
85 Blood Elf Priest
With so many new things coming up for Blizz, I totally get this. I've helped to organize conferences before (albeit on a smaller scale than Blizzcon) and I can only imagine what they have to do to put together such a wildly successful event.

Same it takes a lot of work to make an event good. I hope that Blizz continues to work diligently bring us the greatest games that they possibly can, and if that means dropping Blizzcon for a year, so be it.
90 Dwarf Warrior
Wonder if this is because so many people were so upset about so many things this year. We just can't have nice things.
90 Human Paladin
I have not been to Blizzcon, but many friends in guild and in game have, and they love it. The videos on youtube show lots having a great time there. Too bad Blizz could't find a way to make it happen. It does send a message that they don't have much going on, when they say tahts the reaon they can't do it. Very mixed signal. Even if they don't have things coming out in 2012 which they do, the 2012 show is really to promote 2013. Doesn't make sense. They sould reconsider and have one this year after all.
85 Human Death Knight
Figures the year I make concrete plans of going they dont hold it.

FML.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]