No Blizzcon - Cancelled in 2012?!

85 Tauren Paladin
no blizzcon this year? now u just know the world is going to end lol

on a serious note this would off been the 1st one i could of gone to but nooooooo there not having one D:
90 Worgen Death Knight
Yeah it's a bit disappointing because we all really do enjoy being able to 'open the doors' so to speak. But, it is an enormous effort by all employees, including our game designers and artists, not to mention customer support and quality assurance, PR, our business departments, and *hot breath on fingernails & shirt rub* Community & eSports to make a BlizzCon happen. In a year when we're working to release multiple titles (knock on wood) it makes sense to focus our efforts. Also with multiple game releases we just wonder if we'd be at a point with any of them where we'd have anything really big or new or cool to talk about.

We didn't have a BlizzCon in 2006 either, and at that time we were really strong on the idea that BlizzCon isn't really supposed to be and doesn't have to be an annual event. Of course then we have it for five straight years in a row... which obviously built some expectation.

Personally I always enjoy seeing the excitement, the rushing crowds, hearing the clicking of mice on the demo stations, and waiting in agony as the seconds countdown to an announcement and then the waves of emotion from the crowd that follow it. But thinking about our year and what we're trying to get done already without a BlizzCon, and having to think pretty hard about what we'd have to announce or demo, it just makes sense to me not to have one.

Here's to the Battle.net World Championship, it's going to be awesome, and to a bigger and better BlizzCon in 2013.
Here's the major problem I have with this. You go on about how much effort BlizzCon takes and you want to put that effort towards your games. Yet you then say you'll host a World Championship e-sports event instead. Do you expect people to believe that an e-sports event this big doesn't require a lot of effort? If you truly need the time to focus on your other games then be consistent in what you tell your fanbase, instead of contradicting yourselves, either cancel the e-sports event and be true to your word that your efforts are being put into getting your games out, or come clean with the truth about how BlizzCon costs more to do than what you make from it, it wasn't cost effective so you would rather save your money since there won't be any huge expansion announcements this year.
Edited by Petrovah on 1/25/2012 5:19 PM PST
85 Troll Druid
What it comes down to is profit. Blizzard has never openly said it, but though various acts as releasing some of the more detail mounts and cutest pets from the Blizz store via Real Money transaction, or perhaps the service charge for re customization of your character, Blizzard is about money (Duh they are a business).

It is a shame to see that after a good year or so of disappointing content in WoW(Yes this is a person opinion and not factual, to each his/her own) and a major title being delayed for an insurmountable amount of time (D 3) that this would be their next move.

Panser (from tradechat - Youtube channel) put it best, Blizzcon is a service for the fans. It groups us together and gives us just the slightest glimpse of the nameless faces that we interact with on an almost daily schedule. It is a place that brings guilds together, allows people to cosplay their toons, and just general shenanigans; it was a service to the fans. It is not stated, but one can image that this year's 'con was cut because a lost of funds from other sources; when it came down to it, this was an expense that blizz did not see a need for.

So yeah it sucks that it was cut, doesn't stop us (the individuals in the community) from keeping the things we loved about blizz'con going, despite it's absence this year. My guild has always talkd about a Guild BBQ, and perhaps this will be the year we do it, to replace the Convention.
90 Night Elf Hunter
I think it is time to give up on Blizzard all together. Not only are they babying WoW but now they are cancelling a yearly event that is for the fans? Completely the wrong direction, no wonder why they are losing membership base. They should rethink what they are doing if they want people to continue purchasing their games.
19 Gnome Rogue
01/25/2012 05:17 PMPosted by Damonx
wow is done one xpan left then no more hahahahahahah the end is here

An end? Is that like a tail?
75 Orc Death Knight
01/25/2012 06:02 AMPosted by Solaru
Did you ever stop to think, that with all the controversy of last years BlizzCon

Controversy?
Yes. Controversy. The "fanbase" decided to rage against blizz for something so stupid, that you have to ask, why would they want to chance going through that again? I have to admit, the way the community reacted to certain parts of blizzcon this year really tainted the whole thing for me, and I even said at the time that I hope they didn't have one next year just to show people how ridiculous the community was being.
75 Orc Death Knight
What it comes down to is profit. Blizzard has never openly said it, but though various acts as releasing some of the more detail mounts and cutest pets from the Blizz store via Real Money transaction, or perhaps the service charge for re customization of your character, Blizzard is about money (Duh they are a business).

It is a shame to see that after a good year or so of disappointing content in WoW(Yes this is a person opinion and not factual, to each his/her own) and a major title being delayed for an insurmountable amount of time (D 3) that this would be their next move.

Panser (from tradechat - Youtube channel) put it best, Blizzcon is a service for the fans. It groups us together and gives us just the slightest glimpse of the nameless faces that we interact with on an almost daily schedule. It is a place that brings guilds together, allows people to cosplay their toons, and just general shenanigans; it was a service to the fans. It is not stated, but one can image that this year's 'con was cut because a lost of funds from other sources; when it came down to it, this was an expense that blizz did not see a need for.

So yeah it sucks that it was cut, doesn't stop us (the individuals in the community) from keeping the things we loved about blizz'con going, despite it's absence this year. My guild has always talkd about a Guild BBQ, and perhaps this will be the year we do it, to replace the Convention.
It's not a service to the fans. It's an event for the fans.
85 Blood Elf Priest
Sigh people are stupid. I agree with Blizz for canceling Blizzcon, there was really nothing for them to talk about this year. I would rather them get the games out then focus on a filler convention.

EDIT: Wanted to add that I actually wanted to go this year, and had already started saving for the trip, but instead Ill save my money, or go to Pax or some other convention instead. I'll just go to Blizzcon 2013 if it happens.
Edited by Valanis on 1/25/2012 5:52 PM PST
90 Worgen Hunter
does this meen blizzard might have a booth at some other expos (E3, PAX, etc.)?
85 Blood Elf Priest
01/25/2012 05:51 PMPosted by Gabeco
does this meen blizzard might have a booth at some other expos (E3, PAX, etc.)?

I wouldnt guess so, part of their reasoning was that they had nothing to announce.
58 Troll Death Knight
well thats sux theres no blizzcon for 2012.

Also: "2012 Battle.net World Championship" sounds boring.
90 Blood Elf Paladin
How exactly is their schedule so "Jam Packed"? They manage 3 games. With the supposed "release" of at least 2 games this year, maybe 3, how is that "Jam Packed"? Yes I understand it takes a bit of time to go through advertising and finishing steps ect... But they have had over 10 years to get D3 ready (who knows if its even done yet)...... Extreemly excited for these games, but so dissapointed, being "Jam Packed" isant really and excuse, just because my schedule is hectic dosent mean I can walk to a professor and tell them im postponing my assignment, or event. I just dont really see a valid excuse here; I hope I can expect D3 and MoP to be awesome with your extra time Blizzard.
Edited by Zladin on 1/25/2012 6:02 PM PST
90 Goblin Mage
No! Drinking a case of beer while watching all the costume contest babes on youtube is an annual event for me.
28 Orc Warlock
I'm honestly fine with this.

The Blizzcons in-between expansion announcements have always been the most uneventful. No expansion news, and little if any Starcraft and Diablo news.

Now with D3 almost out the door and Heart of the Swarm fast approaching, what is there really to talk about? It's certainly too soon to talk about the final SC2 expansion, same with whatever D3 expansions we're going to get.

What? You expected Titan news? el oh el!
Tbh, Blizzcon 2012 would have been useless. What else is there left to announce?
More proof that the world is going to end in December... Blizz knows....
90 Night Elf Druid
Stopping to prepare out-of-date builds of games not released yet, that are polished enough to players to demo takes time.

They have three major releases that they are really needing to finish.

Not having to prepare for Blizzcon saves them time and lets them focus on what needs to be done this year.

I don't understand what the big deal is.

It has nothing to do with "WoW losing subscribers". It is still the largest MMO in history and Blizzcon tickets would still sell out in minutes even if WoW lost 5 million more.

Just let them work and keep their development teams focused.
13 Goblin Warlock
This shouldn't be a surprise. the current Bliz cares less and less about its fans/customers with every passing year.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]