No Blizzcon - Cancelled in 2012?!

97 Draenei Paladin

There was no Blizzcon 2006. There was never a guarantee of consecutive Blizzcons--folks just got used to it. They have enough stuff to actually get out the door as it is, so not having to deal with a convention only helps with the production schedule.[/b]

First of all, nobody buys that.

Second of all, BlizzCon 2011 took place while they were allegedly deep into the production of a bunch of games and it wasn't a problem. BlizzCon 2012 would be more or less a review on the production that took place in 2011. D3 should be out, and the MoP beta should be out.
85 Troll Shaman
01/25/2012 06:29 AMPosted by Mosana

I don't think they have ever missed a year. I'm dying to know what the real reason was for this being cancelled, because whatever it is has got to be really bad.

I think its a combo of 3 things.

1. They aren't ready to reveal Titan yet and all the major news for the time being was covered last year.

2. I am sure they probably are busy trying to get things out asap. D3 keeps having stuff scrapped from player feedback and you have a senior lead for the team being let go. The projects are probably off schedule by a wider margin then they are comfortable with.

3. Last years fiasco during the open question session. The fall out from it on the forums and through the entirity of the community wasn't pretty. I wouldn't be supprised if they decided to step back from Blizzcon and consider how they want to approach an open mic without risk of offending anyone with a similar situation. You know it will just come up again now that the cats out of the bag.

So all 3 rolled up together would make a fairly perfect storm of a reason to cancel a 2012 Blizzcon. I still feel like a sad panda. No pun intended.

Wow, I must've really missed something there.

Honestly, we know that MoP will be out this year, either late summer, or in December. Why hold a massive event if you have nothing to announce? My guess would be the 2013 BlizzCon will be when their next big MMO will be announced.

Why spend money when you don't have to?
85 Night Elf Rogue
It's not April 1st. :(

What the heck? No BlizzCon? Sad indeed. Maybe they believe in Mayan prophecy and figure why bother since the world will blow up December 20th anyway.
97 Draenei Paladin

3. Last years fiasco during the open question session. The fall out from it on the forums and through the entirity of the community wasn't pretty. I wouldn't be supprised if they decided to step back from Blizzcon and consider how they want to approach an open mic without risk of offending anyone with a similar situation. You know it will just come up again now that the cats out of the bag.

This might not have been the big fiasco you think it was, because I just don't know what you are referring to.
100 Human Paladin
Perhaps they fear either MoP won't be out by then, or it will and will be having a negative reaction.
10 Gnome Rogue
:(
90 Human Mage
I wonder if this means that there wont be a xpac for a couple years? Another WotLK? They have normally announced the xpac's at blizzcon and now no blizzcon till '13 hmm doesnt sound too good....
85 Blood Elf Death Knight

This might not have been the big fiasco you think it was, because I just don't know what you are referring to.

The question regarding why their aren't any gay or lesbian characters given story in game to represent that portion of their player base. Followed by the poop storm that sprung up on the forums for several weeks.
Edited by Mosana on 1/25/2012 6:37 AM PST
90 Undead Mage
You'd believe anything
85 Human Warrior
I don't care for Blizzcon. I live half a world away and I can't get the spoils in a goodies bag and the live streaming is awful.

They already said everything in the 2011 about 2012.

And at the 2012 Blizzcon they would have told us about 2013. But this isn't going to happen.

This. It seems to benefit a select few lucky enough to get in the door, sorry, basically Blizz employees and their brothers, fathers, sons, uncles, and neighbors.
85 Blood Elf Death Knight
01/25/2012 06:36 AMPosted by Loogaa
I wonder if this means that there wont be a xpac for a couple years? Another WotLK? They have normally announced the xpac's at blizzcon and now no blizzcon till '13 hmm doesnt sound too good....

I would expect another expac revealed in 2013 for WoW assuming that it takes place around October again. 2013 will most likely be the reveal for Titan. Followed by me letting out a huge groan of disapproval if its an FPS as rumored.
100 Draenei Paladin
01/25/2012 06:21 AMPosted by Solaru
I don't think they have ever missed a year.

There was no '06 one.

No there wasn't, but that was the first year after Blizzcon started and from what I understand it was never expected to be an annual event after that. I imagine popular demand brought it back in it's annual status.

This is an unexplained miss and it's worrisome. We'll never hear anything out of Blizzard because it could be a PR nightmare but it's worrisome.

I'm sad, despite my extensive list of problems with Blizzard it bothers me that this might be a result of them having trouble.

Attending Blizzcon 2011 was an amazing experience.
97 Draenei Paladin

The question regarding why their aren't any gay or lesbian characters given story in game to represent that portion of their player base. Followed by the poop storm that sprung up on the forums for several weeks.

Oh yeah, that. There is nothing particularly special about that, and it shouldn't be a major reason as why they should stop doing BlizzCons.
97 Draenei Paladin

I would expect another expac revealed in 2013 for WoW assuming that it takes place around October again. 2013 will most likely be the reveal for Titan. Followed by me letting out a huge groan of disapproval if its an FPS as rumored.

They confirmed that it was an mmorpg a long time ago, I don't understand why that rumor survives.
they never said it was annual, so no it wasn't 'cancelled'...
Also keep in mind that every year they have to deal with controversy the years I attended there were always fights and people doing really uncool stupid stuff...last year there was a huge controversy with the band....maybe they are just tired of Babysitting the worst community on the planet?
90 Pandaren Warrior
1) Branded specific conventions are to sell their brand and products. It was amazing that Blizzard did these as often as they did.
2) BlizzCon was frequent when WoW had half it's current player base.
3) The MLG system seems to be at odds with Blizzard. Notice the location of the tournament they're talking about.
4) There were no "fiascoes" or "controversies" last year, only goofy pet causes that enough players on these forums threw a toddler like tantrums over.
5) If they're not making money or showing an advertising value for these, there's no point in doing them.
6) North America and Europe are hostile markets for them atm. We are very negative and over critical of every breath and sneeze even the waterboy makes during the panels.

Ultimately, we've driven them away. Yes, again this is a community issue.
Edited by Dorrell on 1/25/2012 6:44 AM PST
Noooooo.

I wanted to go this year!

What the heck, Blizz?? ;_;
100 Human Paladin
i'm kinda bummed out about blizzcon being canceled, but i am excited for all the other stuff happening, so i can't be to bummed out, just now i have no excuse to visit my friends in cali, now i have to make one. hmm.
85 Tauren Paladin
This is pure poppycock....
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]