No Blizzcon - Cancelled in 2012?!

MVP
90 Worgen Warlock
I also look at other signs pointing to Blizzards overall decline.

WoW Official magazine cancelled.
    Jinx Reducing or Phasing out the WoW clothing line
    WoW TCG game production being cut way back with rumors of being discontinued later this year
    DC stopping production of WoW action figure
    WoW comic being discontinued.

So merchandising is dead for this game and is very minimal for all Blizzards other games...No Blizzcon, D III pushed back till god knows when....how can anyone put a positive spin on this??

The WoW magazine was canceled because it had a long production time for very little payoff. It's hard to continue to do a paper based magazine in a world where the articles you write will have been posted on MMO champion 2 months earlier.

The clothing line may also be because Blizzard has taken over a lot of production for WoW related items. Or maybe the licensing fees were too high, who knows.

I mean I do agree that WoW's hayday (meaning the days where it was all over the place on TV, in book stores, etc.) is likely over for now, though the potential for a resurgence is possible in the future. But I don't think these are portents of doom for the game/company.
90 Night Elf Druid
I'm a little surprised. They doubled the ticket prices and still sold it out in no-time flat. Then there's the PPV subs, etc. I know a ton of planning and resources have to go into the show, but it seems like easy money for Blizzard every year.

90 Pandaren Warrior
01/25/2012 07:11 AMPosted by Jadden
You would be so, so, very wrong then, Chicken Little.

How exactly am I wrong? Everything I said is true and is happening. I see cut backs like that it tells me the brand is dead.

Honestly....

The clothing line doesn't surprise me too much. Jinx has a tendency to kill individual products in a line in prep for new products, they're a clothing company... clothing companies do stuff like that....

The rest is all stuff that they were lucky got done in the first place.
I'm honestly in shock that the CCG has lasted this long. That's a genre that's totally been altered since it was launched for this game... Besides, going to a LCG format may revive it, if they want to try that.

I think the board game is dead in the water, but you can still buy it because there's that much stock left over.

Comics are hurting big time atm in general.

Action figures were never really 100% homeruns...

And the magazine... I'm impressed it even went live, let along lasted that long.

Gaming merch has always been iffy, as there really is no main stream location for this stuff to be sold at.
41 Gnome Priest
No hordecon this year? What a shame.
85 Human Mage
Look at how many people in this game are blindly devoted to there faction/class/race.

Think about how much rage you have seen these people throw the other faction or Blizzard themselves.

Ask yourself "Would I really want to get infront of these foaming at the mouth people."

That is why I wouldn't want to have a BlizzCon ever.
Wouldn't it be crazy if the reason there's no Blizzcon this year is for the very reasons stated in the press release? How weird would that be?

But, hey, conspiracy theorists are always right. Thanks for clearing up the Elvis thing and that moon landing fiasco.

Keep up the good work!

/twothumbsup
I also look at other signs pointing to Blizzards overall decline.

WoW Official magazine cancelled.
    Jinx Reducing or Phasing out the WoW clothing line
    WoW TCG game production being cut way back with rumors of being discontinued later this year
    DC stopping production of WoW action figure
    WoW comic being discontinued.

So merchandising is dead for this game and is very minimal for all Blizzards other games...No Blizzcon, D III pushed back till god knows when....how can anyone put a positive spin on this??

The WoW magazine was canceled because it had a long production time for very little payoff. It's hard to continue to do a paper based magazine in a world where the articles you write will have been posted on MMO champion 2 months earlier.

The clothing line may also be because Blizzard has taken over a lot of production for WoW related items. Or maybe the licensing fees were too high, who knows.

I mean I do agree that WoW's hayday (meaning the days where it was all over the place on TV, in book stores, etc.) is likely over for now, though the potential for a resurgence is possible in the future. But I don't think these are portents of doom for the game/company.

Yeah don't get me wrong I'm not saying Doom...I'm saying we will more than likely see a Blizzard in a less dominate capacity...much like SOE after WOW launched and that isn't a bad thing...SOE circled the wagons made some changes and are now making just a stupid amount of money. I did some consulting with them last year... people have no clue how many folks play EQ II Free Realms and EQ....or how much station cash they spend but it's crazy.

I don't think we are going to have an overall MMO leader any more....we will have the Big three Blizzard Bioware and Arenanet....with SOE (depending on what they do with Planetside and EQ next) Knocking on number threes door...that does mean though that Blizzard has to stop kidding themselves and saying "They'll be back" and start merging servers and doing what it takes to stay in the big three.

just my two coppers
85 Human Warlock
Look at how many people in this game are blindly devoted to there faction/class/race.

Think about how much rage you have seen these people throw the other faction or Blizzard themselves.

Ask yourself "Would I really want to get infront of these foaming at the mouth people."

That is why I wouldn't want to have a BlizzCon ever.

Agreed! I never EVER once had faction pride. I don't understand, I don't get it, and I think it's stupid that people take it too seriously or take it into the REAL world.

And I do understand that there are many ways to play this game and for some....the game is STRICTLY PvP. I get that. What I don't get is why people become so obsessed over their faction. I mean....do people get that obsessed over, say, Call of Duty?
90 Pandaren Warrior
01/25/2012 07:34 AMPosted by Nephthys
do people get that obsessed over, say, Call of Duty?

Yes, yes they do....
90 Worgen Druid
nice positive thinking yes 2013 will be more awsome
85 Human Warlock
01/25/2012 07:36 AMPosted by Dorrell
do people get that obsessed over, say, Call of Duty?

Yes, yes they do....

Well, I don't understand it. I play games to relax. It's my down-time, after all. What exactly causes people to become angry and hateful because of a videogame is something I suppose I will never understand.
85 Blood Elf Hunter
3. Last years fiasco during the open question session. The fall out from it on the forums and through the entirity of the community wasn't pretty. I wouldn't be surprised if they decided to step back from Blizzcon and consider how they want to approach an open mic without risk of offending anyone with a similar situation. You know it will just come up again now that the cats out of the bag.

^ I totally blame the people who complained on the forums about the concert. Blizz probably figured that they don't wanna be in that situation again and canceled Blizz con to be safe. Never take anything for granted, including WOW.... Did those people ever stop to think of the consequences?
85 Draenei Paladin
01/25/2012 05:59 AMPosted by Farhandl
Wow....that kinda sends out a strange signal, doesn't it....

No, Wow has millions of players.

If you want to say that having over 10 million players and that WoW is dying go for it. You'll look dumb. Because those are the facts, WoW has over 10 Million players.
82 Human Paladin
01/25/2012 07:41 AMPosted by Nephthys

Yes, yes they do....

Well, I don't understand it. I play games to relax. It's my down-time, after all. What exactly causes people to become angry and hateful because of a videogame is something I suppose I will never understand.

Because lots of people play a game to immerse themselves into something different than reality. Some games can really pull you in and get you passionate about said game universe, characters, story, etc. I was going to list a few such games but then I took an forum redirect to the knee.

I know...I'm sorry...not cool.
90 Draenei Paladin

HOTS D3 and MOP I think are the most blizzard has ever had on it's plate at one time.

Nope... and they did BlizzCons.

SC2 and D3 were announced around the same time and now SC2 is pushing an expansion. I don't think blizzard will ever make that mistake again.

There isn't anything exceptional about what they have on their plate versus other Blizzcons, and they still have plenty to talk about.
90 Draenei Paladin
WoW has over 10 Million players.

Do they still? I thought they lost that last year, and I doubt they gained more than they lost in this quarter.
85 Blood Elf Mage
Just all the things that happened last year... Almost glad I wasn't there. (I was an Alliance player back in 09, alone as a woman, and felt a little creeped out... I can't imagine going last year!!)

Maybe it is the reason they said it was, or maybe... just maybe, they are tired of dealing with the people every day. Then for a weekend in person.
90 Pandaren Warrior
01/25/2012 07:50 AMPosted by Alilara
3. Last years fiasco during the open question session. The fall out from it on the forums and through the entirity of the community wasn't pretty. I wouldn't be surprised if they decided to step back from Blizzcon and consider how they want to approach an open mic without risk of offending anyone with a similar situation. You know it will just come up again now that the cats out of the bag.

^ I totally blame the people who complained on the forums about the concert. Blizz probably figured that they don't wanna be in that situation again and canceled Blizz con to be safe. Never take anything for granted, including WOW.... Did those people ever stop to think of the consequences?

Where I'd really rather not think that this had any impact my better self says it had a ton.

BlizzCon is a way for them to promote their brand and products in a unique way. Due to some cause crazy people... We ended up talking about things that had NOTHING to do with their products for almost a month after the convention was over.

Rather than being happy that we had an awesome set of games and a company that is dedicated to our specific entertainment desires, several members of this community pushed private agendas that have no place in in these forums down our throats so they could feel better about their life choices.

Rather than push a sense of competition and rivalry, several members of this community pushed an agenda of crying and whining against players who love who they are in game to the point of role playing their characters a bit in real life.

Rather than looking at the big picture of the lore and game world WoW is set in, we continue to have members of this community flame against something that's not even released yet due to other IPs that have nothing to do with WoW.

Again, this ultimate outcome is the communities fault.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]