No Blizzcon - Cancelled in 2012?!

10 Gnome Rogue
01/25/2012 07:50 AMPosted by Alilara
Blizz probably figured that they don't wanna be in that situation again and canceled Blizz con to be safe.

If blizzard is incapable of putting on a blizzcon that doesn't involved treating their alliance customers like 2nd class citizens while inviting some neanderthal to sling inappropriate profanities at them then maybe it is in their best interest to cancel it, which is kind of a sad statement about blizzard.
98 Draenei Mage
01/25/2012 07:56 AMPosted by Berelythia
Do they still? I thought they lost that last year, and I doubt they gained more than they lost in this quarter.

They announced 12 million just before Cata's launch.

Q1 2011 - 600,000 subscribers lost
Q2 2011 - 300,000 subscribers lost
Q3 2011 - 800,000 subscribers lost

They could loose 300k and still have 10 mill. (I do not think it will be that many)
90 Night Elf Druid
I love the people who assume it's because of money issues. I suspect Blizzard easily profits from Blizzcon. I doubt Blizzard is hurting on money at this point. Having gone to 2010 Blizzcon I can actually understand why they are doing this. Very little was announced at 2010 Blizzcon and I can say I was slightly disappointed(was still fun, but 2011 Blizzcon was way more interesting and worth it). 2012 Blizzcon would likely be similar to 2010. Sure they'd have some new stuff for each game, but nothing substantial that hasn't already been datamined.

I also doubt it was due to any controversy. I mean Jay Mohr has been speaking at Blizzcon for awhile and that's never been cause to cancel it.

EDIT: Okay, maybe they don't profit from Blizzcon. But I suspect the reason is still due to lack of upcoming content.
Edited by Treenan on 1/25/2012 8:27 AM PST
97 Draenei Paladin

Rather than being happy that we had an awesome set of games and a company that is dedicated to our specific entertainment desires,

This makes you sound like a plant and I can't take you seriously. Real people don't talk like this.

Again, this ultimate outcome is the communities fault.

I tend to think that they anticipate overwhelmingly negative feedback for MoP, and a lukewarm (if any) response to HotS. I also suspect that they are going to kill off every single character in Diablo that the Diablo fans give a damn about like Tyrael, Deckard, and so forth to end an IP that wasn't actually started and conceived by them originally.

I think that they know a BlizzCon under those circumstances would be disastrous.

82 Human Paladin
01/25/2012 08:02 AMPosted by Solaru
Do they still? I thought they lost that last year, and I doubt they gained more than they lost in this quarter.

They announced 12 million just before Cata's launch.

Q1 2011 - 600,000 subscribers lost
Q2 2011 - 300,000 subscribers lost
Q3 2011 - 800,000 subscribers lost

They could loose 300k and still have 10 mill. (I do not think it will be that many)

I will bet you 1000 gold it will be more than 300k subscribers lost in Q4. I'm bookmarking this post to come back and necro it in February.
84 Undead Priest
well im a noob been play for like 3 months now and love it
i would not say wow is dieing . i wish some of the @!**s in wow would die.
like the frist time they played they knew everything right. but love the game wife loves the game and o yea FOR THE HORDE
85 Blood Elf Hunter
01/25/2012 07:59 AMPosted by Elanara
Maybe it is the reason they said it was

What was their reason? I am just curious?
97 Draenei Paladin

I also doubt it was due to any controversy. I mean Jay Mohr has been speaking at Blizzcon for awhile and that's never been cause to cancel it.

I don't think it has anything to do with any controversy, but a lot to do with what they know is going to be crappy revelations. D3 is supposedly going to be the last Diablo game they are making (outside of a possible expansion) and the implication is that the characters all die, nobody cares about HotS, and MoP... yeah it might have something more to do with those things.
Edited by Berelythia on 1/25/2012 8:10 AM PST
90 Orc Warrior
DEC 21 2012 THEY ARE GETTING PREPARED
85 Orc Warrior
`
Edited by Betka on 6/14/2012 6:32 PM PDT
82 Human Paladin
I love the people who assume it's because of money issues. I suspect Blizzard easily profits from Blizzcon. I doubt Blizzard is hurting on money at this point. Having gone to 2010 Blizzcon I can actually understand why they are doing this. Very little was announced at 2010 Blizzcon and I can say I was slightly disappointed(was still fun, but 2011 Blizzcon was way more interesting and worth it). 2012 Blizzcon would likely be similar to 2010. Sure they'd have some new stuff for each game, but nothing substantial that hasn't already been datamined.

So Titan was slated to come out in Q4 2013. You don't think that's worthy of a Blizzcon announcement 1 year ahead of time? Riiiiiiiight.
97 Draenei Paladin
When did they have more titles announced? wc diablo and sc games are all in in the works considering that covers all their PC franchises you need to be able to think.

They have been working on SC2, Titan, Nova (for a while), WoW, and D3 almost simultaneously for years and held BlizzCons. With IPs like W:AR on the horizon as well, and last year with SWTOR.

Their workload has been a lot heavier and more intense than it is now. Nova fell off the map, they made their decisions with SC2 and work on it 1/3 at a time, WoW survived, and D3 is now nearly or mostly done.

85 Human Warlock
I am scared
85 Undead Warlock
01/25/2012 06:26 AMPosted by Berelythia
If Blizzcons weren't pulling in enough cash, that would be reason enough to re-evaluate it as a priority.

Blizzcon tickets always sold out in, like, a matter of hours. Then they expanded to online, and their e-stores sold out in hours. It doesn't feel like a money problem.

They've actually stated that they lose money from holding Blizzcon each year, but they continued to do it because the event was so fun and their fanbase loved it so much.

Maybe with all the "controversy" (whining) surrounding this year's Blizzcon, they determined that it was no longer worth it. More than likely they just want to buckle down and spend the money elsewhere, where it's needed.

But good try.
90 Pandaren Warrior

Rather than being happy that we had an awesome set of games and a company that is dedicated to our specific entertainment desires,

This makes you sound like a plant and I can't take you seriously. Real people don't talk like this.

If you've seen other posts by me over the last year you wouldn't think that. I've very critical of Blizzard when I think they're wrong.

However, at heart, I am a fan boy. I've been playing their games since I got "The Lost Vikings" and a SNES for Christmas in high school.....

Again, this ultimate outcome is the communities fault.

I tend to think that they anticipate overwhelmingly negative feedback for MoP, and a lukewarm (if any) response to HotS. I also suspect that they are going to kill off every single character in Diablo that the Diablo fans give a damn about like Tyrael, Deckard, and so forth to end an IP that wasn't actually started and conceived by them originally.

I think that they know a BlizzCon under those circumstances would be disastrous.

There will only be negative feed back on MoP by the vocal community at large. (Which is really tiny...) Just like the only ones really complaining about "faceroll" and other false-hoods from the end of Wrath were on this forum. The other 11.99 million players were having fun in game until they hit level 85 and went, what the heck happened to my casual fun MMO?

Everyone I know is looking forward to MoP. The landscapes are really pretty, there is no need to grind off hard core content, you only have to play it if you're in the mood to do so, and they're adding features to the game to expand it beyond just being a gearing rat race.

The game needs more of these side features at this point in it's development anyway.

And I'm sorry, HotS looks really cool to me, I'm loving the RPG elements in the campaign. D3, it's time to pass the storyline to a new generation. The world is supposed to be brutal and unforgiving, people living more than one or two iterations just doesn't make sense.
Edited by Dorrell on 1/25/2012 8:19 AM PST
85 Blood Elf Mage
01/25/2012 08:09 AMPosted by Alilara
[quote="39634397071"]Maybe it is the reason they said it was

What was their reason? I am just curious?[/quote

I think the OP quoted the announcement they made but it's supposedly due to the Tournament event in Asia this year. Since that will be taking up all the "event" resources, Blizzcon just isn't in the schedule.
97 Draenei Paladin

They've actually stated that they lose money from holding Blizzcon each year, but they continued to do it because the event was so fun and their fanbase loved it so much.

So their tickets sell out in hours, their stores sell out in hours, but they lose money.

Okay.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]