No Blizzcon - Cancelled in 2012?!

100 Gnome Warrior
I'd say it's simply because they don't have much of anything to talk about. Think about it - by the time Blizzcon 2012 normally would have hit:

- MoP will probably be out, along with its first patch (assuming June-July release)
- DIII will be out
- SCII Expansion will be out
- SCII Dota will be out

After that, the only thing they could really reveal are unannounced plans, but it's still too early for those.
Edited by Triatta on 1/25/2012 8:23 AM PST
84 Undead Priest
01/25/2012 08:10 AMPosted by Akumaku
DEC 21 2012 THEY ARE GETTING PREPARED

well if your going to die you can give me all your !@#$ since im not
97 Draenei Paladin

Everyone I know is looking forward to MoP.

And I'm sorry, HotS looks really cool to me

Buddy you are in some serious, deep denial.

D3, it's time to pass the storyline to a new generation. The world is supposed to be brutal and unforgiving, people living more than one or two iterations just doesn't make sense.

You don't understand. They are ending the Diablo franchise with D3.

Again, denial probably is responsible for your response there.
90 Pandaren Warrior

They've actually stated that they lose money from holding Blizzcon each year, but they continued to do it because the event was so fun and their fanbase loved it so much.

So their tickets sell out in hours, their stores sell out in hours, but they lose money.

Okay.

Yep, conventions are at best a break even situation for companies. Including the main tradeshows like E3, GenCon, Origins, and the like.

I did several of these 8-10 years ago while I was marketing, developing, and testing part time for several P&P and CCG companies.

If you did a Con thinking that you were going to make money (outside of being a direct vendor), you were on crack.
82 Human Paladin

They've actually stated that they lose money from holding Blizzcon each year, but they continued to do it because the event was so fun and their fanbase loved it so much.

So their tickets sell out in hours, their stores sell out in hours, but they lose money.

Okay.

Learn to google a little? Geez.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/94802-Blizzards-AGDC-Keynote-We-Lose-Money-on-BlizzCon
90 Pandaren Warrior

D3, it's time to pass the storyline to a new generation. The world is supposed to be brutal and unforgiving, people living more than one or two iterations just doesn't make sense.

Believe what you want. And also, if D3 sells really well, yea... ending my rear. Franchises go on forever until they stop making money.
97 Draenei Paladin

If you did a Con thinking that you were going to make money (outside of being a direct vendor), you were on crack.
How about making more money through products being sold relating to the convention. I would have liked to have bought some stuff, but it was A) limited to those who had an eticket and B) sold out by the time I even read the news.
85 Human Warlock
01/25/2012 08:16 AMPosted by Ronnburgundy

While that is true, and Bliz does see a loss, I still REALLY doubt that they would sacrifice profit because they wanna hold a "fun event". No business in the world is that nice.

The truth is, they gain publicity from Blizzcon, which...in turn...if all goes right, helps them increase their profit margin.

Now sadly, the last two years (DEF last year!) was filled with negative controversies and backlash. From a business standpoint, I believe they wanna hold off for a while.

As for the blame game? I think both the customers and Bliz share the blame somewhat. Bliz has been called upon for years to stop Horde favoritism at Blizzcon, and weirdly enough...Bliz not only didn't listen, but made it worse year after year.

I also think the customers were to blame a bit, because in truth....it shouldn't have been taken that seriously. I honestly don't have a problem with Bliz showing favoritism, but since so many people sadly do, Bliz needs to understand the sensitivities of it's playerbase.
90 Night Elf Druid
So Titan was slated to come out in Q4 2013. You don't think that's worthy of a Blizzcon announcement 1 year ahead of time? Riiiiiiiight.

Diablo 3 was supposed to come out Q4 2011. Things get delayed. My theory is Titan will be launched Q2 2014 and announced at 2013 Blizzcon.
90 Draenei Shaman
I'm sorry, but I see this thread and all I can think of is a bunch of Muppets running around, arms flailing in the air, screaming about how they're on fire.

It's a business decision. It hasn't been the best year for WoW, and frankly, I'd be surprised if they didn't decide to make some changes -- like this one -- to try something different. Honestly? I'd rather have them focusing their energy on the games themselves than on a giant social gathering. I'm sure skipping a year won't kill anyone.
82 Human Paladin

You don't understand. They have at least two expansions planned for D3.
97 Draenei Paladin

Believe what you want. And also, if D3 sells really well, yea... ending my rear. Franchises go on forever until they stop making money.

I think the problem has something to do with the people who originally came up with the idea for Diablo, made up its mythos, and etc either quit or were fired and it isn't really a Blizzard original title so much as Blizzard helped to direct, fund, and eventually acquired those people.

My guess is that Titan is going to fill in the genre gap that Diablo will leave behind.

But yeah... last Diablo game. I was pretty mad when I heard about it.

You don't understand. They have at least two expansions planned for D3.

I said outside of expansions.
Edited by Berelythia on 1/25/2012 8:32 AM PST
90 Human Paladin
With all the faction debates we had since last blizcon, my guess is they would rather cancel Hordecon then to change it from just being Hordecon.
90 Pandaren Warrior

How about making more money through products being sold relating to the convention. I would have liked to have bought some stuff, but it was A) limited to those who had an eticket and B) sold out by the time I even read the news.

Merchandising is a tricky thing. If you've ever wondered why a stuffed Stitch costs 10 bucks, but a stuffed Murlock costs 15-20 and it's half the size... It's because the production run on the Stitch was significantly larger than the latter. They could increase the production run, but that's dangerous, as having standing stock on anything due to how it gets taxed as a standing asset at the end of the fiscal year can end up costing you more money than you made selling what you did.

Product costs have a stupid number of factors that play into their final costs. When it comes to side gaming merch, often the case is that the profit margin is really minimal to non-existent.

It's why CCG packs are 3.50-5 bucks now, it has short production runs of the product that they think will sell. (Which isn't very much anymore.)

Honestly... I'd have to sit down and look at the CCG. It doesn't have to die and can still be profitable by a margin, but it's going to require a near full reset to accomplish at this point. The original company that bought the rights to make it really jacked it up pretty bad........

Fantasy Flight made an awesome board game, but it's far too complex for most people to play. And again, due to small production runs is WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY out of most people's budgets.

P&P, can still kind of be done. But again, that goes down the path of Hasbro screwing everyone over with the open D20 licence. That's a very very very long post that I really don't want to get into....
85 Human Warlock
01/25/2012 08:32 AMPosted by Katfish
With all the faction debates we had since last blizcon, my guess is they would rather cancel Hordecon then to change it from just being Hordecon.

This is what I do not understand. As much as I think the players over-react....a LOT of people *were* clearly upset about the favoritism.

As much as I try to defend Bliz quite often, I think they can be pretty stubborn at times when it comes to what THEY wanna do...even if it sacrifices subscriptions. All they had to do was remain totally faction natural at Blizzcon. I'm not sure why they never listened. *shrug*

If....and this is just an *if*....they cancelled Blizzcon due to all the faction controversies, then...wouldn't it have been easier for them to just cool it and treat ALL players equally? I dunno.
Edited by Nephthys on 1/25/2012 8:40 AM PST
1 Blood Elf Warrior
It is possible they are deciding to take a year off from Blizzcon so everyone doesn't become burnt out on it.
I don't care for Blizzcon. I live half a world away and I can't get the spoils in a goodies bag and the live streaming is awful.

They already said everything in the 2011 about 2012.

And at the 2012 Blizzcon they would have told us about 2013. But this isn't going to happen.

Lolwat, the streaming is just fine thank you! Two years in a row so far and it hasn't done me wrong so far.
100 Blood Elf Paladin
I also look at other signs pointing to Blizzards overall decline.

WoW Official magazine cancelled.
    Jinx Reducing or Phasing out the WoW clothing line
    WoW TCG game production being cut way back with rumors of being discontinued later this year
    DC stopping production of WoW action figure
    WoW comic being discontinued.

So merchandising is dead for this game and is very minimal for all Blizzards other games...No Blizzcon, D III pushed back till god knows when....how can anyone put a positive spin on this??

You would be so, so, very wrong then, Chicken Little.

Please explain how. If everything he says is true, then that's pretty damning evidence that Blizzard is in serious (and hastened) decline.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]