Please bring back whoever designed Ulduar

90 Worgen Warrior
If only Blizz could take a year and a half to make every raid.

They wont, because that's not good business, but ce la vi.
Edited by Jessebella on 1/25/2012 5:24 PM PST
90 Orc Death Knight

ulduar took 6 months.
75 Goblin Rogue
SPOILER

Ghostcrawler designed Ulduar. By hand. Alone.
90 Worgen Warrior

ulduar took 6 months.

They where working on it well before Wotlk released. They had shown parts of it at the Blizzcon previous.
90 Orc Death Knight
ulduar took 6 months.

They where working on it well before Wotlk released. They had shown parts of it at the Blizzcon previous.
since when does that mean they've worked on it for a year and a half? you do realize that developers put projects on hold to work on other things?
90 Dwarf Death Knight
It should be dungeons somewhat short and Raids should be long. Ulduar was one of those raids despite its length was awesome. Karazan was another one of those great raids but i still hold Ulduar top on my list. I was hoping there would have been one in Uldum or even Vahjir but both got scrapped. I hope in MoP they bring a raid like Ulduar back
90 Worgen Warrior
01/25/2012 05:30 PMPosted by Brogression
since when does that mean they've worked on it for a year and a half? you do realize that developers put projects on hold to work on other things?

The first raid in Wotlk was refurbished Naxx. The only unique one was a 1 boss raid with Malgyos.

Its quite obvious where all the raid design resources where being focused for a long time.
85 Human Paladin
Ulduar would have been perfect if it was split into 4 parts that ran together through the patch and could be gotten to without doing the previous one.

In it's base state, the thing was just too long. Especially with traditional progression where you had everything you needed off the first 3 in line, but still had to waste the 45 min to an hour killing them before getting to the tier 8 bosses.

Ulduar is a good raid to emulate and look at, but not something that long... Anything over 8ish in one raid is too much.

But I am disappointed that we didn't really get any encounter raids this expac. 4 winds was the only one.

1) Splitting Ulduar might have been a good idea but honestly I can say I enjoyed it more going in 2 nights a week to clear the whole thing. Quite frankly it meant that the whole raid time was spent in the raid instead of doing other things.

2) It was not too long! If you ever did AQ40 or old Naxx40 you would understand long! Even Naxx in its Wrath form was longer when it first came out than Ulduar. If you've done the first 4 bosses before then you know how to do them and its a cake walk. Especially if you are just trying to get to the other bosses!

3) You are wrong. More bosses is more fun and makes the raid more enjoyable as long as they maintain the same things they did in Ulduar. Which was to make the bosses different than each other. You had FL which was a totally unique fight and then you had to go to Razor which was different than FL and then XT and so on. Each boss in Ulduar had unique mechanics that made them each original and enjoyable. The raid took maybe 4 hours to complete if you didn't do any hardmodes, didn't wipe and stuck to it for the whole 4 hours.

01/25/2012 04:57 PMPosted by Untasteful
icc was far better than any cata raid thus far.

Debatable, even though Putricide was and still is my favorite fight ever, Firelands was a quality raid untill the 15-20% nerfs and BoT doesn't get as much credit as it should. Cho'gall being a glorious fight.

ICC was better than most of the Cata raids. Firelands I will admit had some intriguing fights, Rhyloth, Baelroc, Rag, Majordomo. They were fun fights but still ICC had some really fun fights! XD
90 Orc Death Knight
raids isn't the only thing you need to work on for an expansion.
80 Blood Elf Priest
Don't forget about poor old Sartharion! Sartharion even started the modular HM-style, too! :)

As for raid lengths, they can make them as long as they want since Raid Lock Extension is available to us compared to when Ulduar was actually made. The length of it was ridiculous and annoying if you raided less than 3 days a week.
90 Pandaren Priest
I didn't enjoy ulduar, but one difficulty of a long raid is much better than 3 difficulties of the same raid.

Progress through the raid, rather than doing it again on another difficulty.
90 Worgen Warrior
People always talk about Ulduar.

They always look over Naxx and ToC.

There has to be a better sysytem in place that the Ulduar system.
90 Human Warrior
Hell, I know you're too cheap or overextended to produce the immersive HM encounters of Ulduar, but can you at least meet us halfway like you did in BWD? I mean, yeah, it was a static toggle still which kinda sucked, but at least you had the idea to have Nefarian fly in and muck everything up on Heroic. That gave you a sense of "Well at least these guys aren't just pulling abilities out of their !@#."

It helped really make you feel like Nefarian was the big bad guy and his interactions with his minions were pretty interesting. (Especially his disdain for Maloriak)
85 Human Paladin
01/25/2012 05:34 PMPosted by Jessebella

The first raid in Wotlk was refurbished Naxx. The only unique one was a 1 boss raid with Malgyos.

Its quite obvious where all the raid design resources where being focused for a long time.

Obviously you have no idea how design teams work. They have multiple projects that are assigned to small groups and brought together in the large group to be editted, scrapped or put on hold for other projects. Blizzard was working on all of their future WotLK raids when it first hit. That doesn't mean they actually put a lot of effort or time into it until it was time to bring that content out.

Don't forget about poor old Sartharion! Sartharion even started the modular HM-style, too! :)

As for raid lengths, they can make them as long as they want since Raid Lock Extension is available to us compared to when Ulduar was actually made. The length of it was ridiculous and annoying if you raided less than 3 days a week.

Sarth 3D was so much fun!!!! But then I never won the drake :(

Fav raids of all time:

Uld>Kara>BT>Sunwell>TK>Gruuls (MAGE TANK FTW!!!!)>ICC>MC>ZG>AQ>Firelands>The Rest
90 Worgen Warrior
01/25/2012 05:43 PMPosted by Monepz
Because Naxx and ToC were terrible?

There never on the "best of" lists.

Well this is unbridaled crap. If you look at Rift's content updates and patches it is MILES ahead of Blizzard. It's constant, it's huge and it's good. I don't even play Rift but I know people who really enjoy it and if you saw the content patches Rift gets compared to what WoW gets you'd feel like a poor fool that'd been sold a pistol and told it was a rifle.

I don't know what the Rift people do. If what there doing is worth paying for, or even if how there doing it ultimately turns out to be a bad thing for them and the game.

But whatever its doing hasn't been enough apparently.
90 Orc Death Knight
rift has a million raids and they're all the same.
85 Gnome Priest
01/25/2012 04:39 PMPosted by Untasteful
And some people would prefer not waiting a year between raids.

Hire new coders, problem solved.

OH wait, the profit margin would drop below 297%.

It's ridiculous, they take so long just to make 8 bosses with some reusing models. Even guild wars released more content on a regular basis than the raids today.
Edited by Deyadissa on 1/25/2012 5:50 PM PST
90 Undead Warrior
/signed

Ulduar was the best raid ever imo. Kara a close 2nd. Didn't really enjoy nax40 or aq for some reason... maybe because they were buggy as hell.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]