Please bring back whoever designed Ulduar

85 Human Paladin
/signed

Ulduar was the best raid ever imo. Kara a close 2nd. Didn't really enjoy nax40 or aq for some reason... maybe because they were buggy as hell.

Naxx40 came out right at the end of Vanilla and so blizz kind of let it fall off the map lawl.

But yeah Ulduar and Kara

*reminisces about Chess Event*
80 Blood Elf Priest
01/25/2012 05:38 PMPosted by Monepz
It's utterly pathetic and it makes you feel like a dumb customer that's being taken advantage of in more ways than I have time to type. You've all been duped into thinking this is what you should be getting as value for money. Guess what? That's rubbish.
Only you seem to feel this way since you think RIFT is superior than WoW, but still play WoW and not RIFT. It's quite mind-boggling.

Please don't assume that all of us have not played other pay-to-play games. I have and think that the current price of WoW is suitable for what I get. If I didn't, I would have canceled my subscription as I did Everquest, EVE, and PSO/U.
90 Worgen Warrior
01/25/2012 05:44 PMPosted by Ashok
Obviously you have no idea how design teams work. They have multiple projects that are assigned to small groups and brought together in the large group to be editted, scrapped or put on hold for other projects. Blizzard was working on all of their future WotLK raids when it first hit. That doesn't mean they actually put a lot of effort or time into it until it was time to bring that content out.

All I'm saying, is that all the raid content after back-up plan Sunwell was Naxx, EoE, and Ulduar.

I know they have multiple teams on different stuff, but where the majority of the modeling, designing, Bug testing, ect. resources went to is obviously Ulduar.
85 Blood Elf Paladin
Sorry, they're busy.

The D team is assigned to WOW.

The C Team is working on Diablo.

The B Team are working on Titan.

The A Team are working on the Real Money Auction House. They only get one shot at it... but if it works, Blizzard will be earning BILLIONS. That project get only Blizzard's best.

Spitfire; I should douse your bad mouth with water.

Ulduar was built up since... Forever ago? Ulduar is a titans thing if I remember correctly, and Blizzard had so many lore sources, art sources, and everything inbetween to probably make Ulduar fantastically well made.
85 Orc Warlock
One of the interesting things to note is that Ulduar was one of the last "hard" raids in which many PuGs got maybe half way into there and yet it is one of the most favorite raids and had far less complaints than players make on the raids now.

Is the key to happy players really about making quality content thats actually fun to do over and over again even if your hitting a wall compared to bland content that gets nerfed so that its less painful to run?
01/25/2012 05:47 PMPosted by Deyadissa
Hire new coders, problem solved.

From a programming standpoint I think that they have actually been doing a really good job along with the other teams that are responsible to make sure patches release smoothly.

Its funny that as content quality goes down that patch releases get smoother and smoother. Well than again its somewhat expected.
Edited by Oniangel on 1/25/2012 6:00 PM PST
85 Human Paladin
One of the interesting things to note is that Ulduar was one of the last "hard" raids in which many PuGs got maybe half way into there and yet it is one of the most favorite raids and had far less complaints than players make on the raids now.

Is the key to happy players really about making quality content thats actually fun to do over and over again even if your hitting a wall compared to bland content that gets nerfed so that its less painful to run?

A wonderful question.

I miss Ulduar (and not because I never got mah legendary healing mace :x)
90 Worgen Warrior
01/25/2012 05:55 PMPosted by Oniangel

People didn't really get the chance to complain. ToC came out soon after Ulduar. The only people who saw all of it in its prime where the Super guilds that burn through content.

the regular progression guilds got ToC then ICC thrown at them. Only going back to try and make the Legendary mace with their new, more powerful gear.
85 Human Paladin
People didn't really get the chance to complain. ToC came out soon after Ulduar. The only people who saw all of it in its prime where the Super guilds that burn through content.

the regular progression guilds got ToC then ICC thrown at them. Only going back to try and make the Legendary mace with their new, more powerful gear.

Lol again how wrong you are. Ulduar was out for a good number of months before ToC came out and might I say a lot more than just the "super" guilds did it. PuGs were able to complete through all the Keepers if it was a good pug.

I was in a regular progression guild and I got through Ulduar just fine before ToC came out and then did ToC burned through it like it was nothing and was upset by this fact :( then came ICC and I was content again.
90 Worgen Warrior
Lol again how wrong you are. Ulduar was out for a good number of months before ToC came out and might I say a lot more than just the "super" guilds did it. PuGs were able to complete through all the Keepers if it was a good pug.

I was in a regular progression guild and I got through Ulduar just fine before ToC came out and then did ToC burned through it like it was nothing and was upset by this fact :( then came ICC and I was content again.

I don't know man. I'm just going off what people who are more invested and have been playing the game much longer than me have pointed out.

And what was said is not a lot of people got to finish Ulduar, and it took a crap ton of time to make.
85 Human Paladin
Also, in Ulduar, there was no ONE PLAYER FAILS THE DANCE = WIPE mechanic. That's what's frustrating players right now. They can be doing everything right, but one player failing the dance is out of their control. If it was a gear check, dps check or otherwise, you can tell the bad player how to get better. But when it comes to dance mechanics like "press the button when this happens"... there's nothing you can do to help that player. It's out of your control. You cannot help that player. Yet if they fail, EVERYONE fails.

That's frustrating.

Seriously, now Ulduar did have a few mechanics that required raid awareness but they weren't "detrimental" to the raid mind you. You can't teach raid awareness nor can you enforce raid awareness beyond kicking those who fail or forcing people to pay everyone's repair bills. And even then there is no guarantee that the player will improve :(
85 Draenei Death Knight
I think the same people who did Ulduar is doing raids now.

After thinking about it you have to realize two things.

1. These raids are just different. I'm sure if there is another one with the same design goals as Ulduar then it will be just as good or better.

and the big one.

2. Most of Cata is 1-60. That means that possibly 60% or more of development went into the old world. Imagine how the next expansion will be if 100% of development went into 85-90?

I think that if Wrath called for the revamp of 1-60 then we'd be feeling the same about Wrath as we do Cata.
85 Blood Elf Priest
Truthfully I would rather the raid get harder as I go through it, like if the raid has 12 bosses, make the first 2-3 boss's LFR difficult, bosses 3-10 normal difficulty and the last two to satify the hardcore raiders.. Just my opinion and Blizzard will probably never do it.
90 Worgen Warrior
01/25/2012 06:11 PMPosted by Millsa
1. These raids are just different. I'm sure if there is another one with the same design goals as Ulduar then it will be just as good or better.

Their design goal was "Lets spend an in-ordinary amount of time and money on one raid." Its not simple to repeat.

2. Most of Cata is 1-60. That means that possibly 60% or more of development went into the old world. Imagine how the next expansion will be if 100% of development went into 85-90?

I do wonder where all that time and energy might have gone. But re-doing the old world had to come eventually. Lets all be glad its out of the way for future expacs.
85 Human Paladin
I think the same people who did Ulduar is doing raids now.

Wrong. The designers who did Ulduar were assigned a new task after they completed Ulduar and the new team took over.

These raids are different because the design team is different and the goals are different. The goals of all Cata raids are to be easy to allow for the quickest access to end game loot/titles so everyone can feel good about themselves and do it in an hour to an hour and a half.

Mixing different design teams. Raid design teams are seperate from the other sections of Cata design.

01/25/2012 06:11 PMPosted by Valanis
Truthfully I would rather the raid get harder as I go through it, like if the raid has 12 bosses, make the first 2-3 boss's LFR difficult, bosses 3-10 normal difficulty and the last two to satify the hardcore raiders.. Just my opinion and Blizzard will probably never do it.

That is silly. Why? Well because the difficulty level between bosses would be vast. From LFR difficulty to normal its like a mountain. From normal difficulty to heroic difficulty its another mountain.

See where this goes?
85 Draenei Death Knight
01/25/2012 06:11 PMPosted by Valanis
I actually agree.

Another twist could be to have them progress form start to end overall.

Cata for example would be

1-4 Easy, 5-9 Moderate, 10-19 start off normal and ends hard, 20-27 hard ending with Heroic rag difficulty.

As far as you get is as far as you get.

But I could forsee the problems with that design being an MMo and all.
90 Worgen Warrior
01/25/2012 06:16 PMPosted by Ashok
These raids are different because the design team is different and the goals are different. The goals of all Cata raids are to be easy to allow for the quickest access to end game loot/titles so everyone can feel good about themselves and do it in an hour to an hour and a half.

Now we're all making assumptions aren't we.

Why do we discuss this? Blizz knows everyone loved Ulduar. If they wanted to make another Ulduar again, they would have.
85 Draenei Death Knight
Wrong. The designers who did Ulduar were assigned a new task after they completed Ulduar and the new team took over.
Okay.

*shrug*

So you agree with the goals being different then?

Mixing different design teams. Raid design teams are seperate from the other sections of Cata design.
I'm sure there is some overlap. It's not like they never see each-other and communicate ideas and plans.

And if they are entirely 100% separate, then why does it seem like less raids were created for Cata than any other expansion? And OP is clearly not happy with the quality so the quality over quantity argument is debatable. My only idea is that 1-60 in some way took away from end game.
85 Night Elf Rogue
ilu
01/25/2012 04:24 PMPosted by Casmavara
3) Because if they did it for every raid it wouldn't be special.

Rofl. Implying they're ever !@#$ing going to do it again.

I quit hardcore raiding after Yogg-Saron due to personal issues, but it looks like I picked the right time to throw in the towel.

01/25/2012 06:21 PMPosted by Millsa
My only idea is that 1-60 in some way took away from end game.

Significant work went into redoing all the old zones, so it's not an unfair assessment to make. However, you also have to consider that we got 5 less levels of content period at the same time, so it either was a much more massive undertaking than it seems or they just cut on the hard work in general.
Edited by Ephridel on 1/25/2012 6:25 PM PST
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]