The Ironman Challenge III

85 Gnome Rogue
Ironman I
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/3881708489
Ironman II
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/3881923142

Some people complain WoW is too easy. Well, for people who want a challenge, take part in the Iron Man Challenge! For those who have leveled primarily through dungeons this is a great excuse to get out there and see the world again! Never been to Redridge or Plaguelands since Cataclysm? You’ll be surprised how difficult they are with our limitations! Knowing what’s ahead is just as important as knowing your class, so remember to read quest text and follow the story as well. Rolling on an RP realm and updating us with stories of your exploits is encouraged but not required.

Gear Rules:
1) No heirlooms
2) No items equipped other than White or Gray items (except Bags)
3) No item enhancements --enchants/spellthread/weapon chains/etc.

Consumable Rules:
4) No food buffs. Only white vendor-quality food & drink may be used.
5) No item buffs. No scrolls, elixirs, flasks, etc. (except Quest items)
6) No potions (except Quest items)

Spells & Abilities Rules:
7) You may train and use class abilities learned from trainers (including Rogue poisons)
8) No talent points/pet talent points
9) No specialization. No glyphs.

Gameplay Rules:
10) No guild perks. If you are guilded it must be a level 1 guild.
11) No questing groups. All combat must be soloed --parties to trade/portal/etc. are permitted
12) No battlegrounds/arenas
13) No dungeons/raids that reward experience. All leveling must be done out in the world.
14) No combating-enhancing addons (QuestHelper/Auctioneer/etc. are fine, use your own judgement)
15) No professions, primary or secondary, other than First Aid
16) No sending gold/items from other characters*

*You must earn your own gold/items via questing, looting, or trading/AHing.

The Iron Challenger is free to use the Auction House to make money and buy the occasional White or Gray item. This is allowed. You may even create a banker/auctioneer, provided they only store/post items that the Iron Challenger has earned. However, you may not receive either gold or items from your other characters. It is recommended that you reroll the Iron Challenger on a new server to avoid the temptation.

Any takers?

If you're doing it, post on that character and we will track your progress.

The majority of participants are on:
Wyrmrest Accord (Alliance) [channel: /join iron]

Have fun!
Edited by Selenagnomez on 1/29/2012 10:59 AM PST
25 Night Elf Hunter
Gameplay Rules:
9) No guilds.
10) No groups --no BG's, no instances, no raids
11) No combating-enhancing addons
12) No sending gold/items from other characters*

Rule #10 needs some additional clarification (in my opinion). Obviously, doing an instance in a group would mean easy and/or low risk experience gain, and should thus be disallowed. However, soloing an out-leveled instance (for whatever reason) shouldn't be an issue.

I think there should be an explicit passage on instances. I mention this because obviously, if one kills all the bosses in an instance, one gets the Achievement for that instance.

Probably it should be a separate rule number regardless of what the decision is. This may not seem like much of an issue to most people, but I like occasionally soloing an old instance and I'd like to see it addressed specifically.

So, my proposal would be:

13) Soloing instances while adhering to the above rules is acceptable.
85 Gnome Rogue
I don't see a problem with that.

So long as the instance mobs are gray it should only reward gold, which is not really important in a challenge where you can only use white or gray items.

That said, I'd like to wait and here some other opinion before changing ANY rules.

Since you're only level 20 (and our highest is only 36) I hoping it won't be an issue if I wait until tomorrow to update that particular rule?
Edited by Selenagnomez on 1/25/2012 4:07 PM PST
25 Night Elf Hunter
01/25/2012 04:07 PMPosted by Selenagnomez
Since you're only level 20 (and our highest is only 36) I hoping it won't be an issue if I wait until tomorrow to update that particular rule?

No particular rush, I'm just posting my suggestion to allow for discussion.
25 Night Elf Hunter
Current top ten as compiled by Aberzombie from Echo Isles:
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/3881923142?page=24#471

Ok, here’s the latest “Top-10 Leaderboard”. Information gathered as of ~1:00 p.m. US Central time. Please keep in mind, 1) I’m doing this at work, so I can only devote so much attention to it, 2) the total time reading and getting up-to-date on the thread is now significant, 3) the time to check every “active” toon I can identify on the Armory and update the info in my spreadsheet, 4) composing and posting this update --- now takes nearly 2 hours r/l time. So, please, please understand that mistakes will happen. (No, I'm not fishing for compliments or sympathy, just reminding people that Murphy's Law is involved here at some level).

Name____________Race______Class_____Level___Server
Ironic____________Draenei____Hunter____35_____Fizzcrank
Ironaria__________BElf_______Hunter____32_____Moon Guard
Janileth__________BElf_______Mage_____32_____Moon Guard
Ironshotz________Dwarf______Hunter____30_____Norgannon
Ironrails_________Human_____Hunter____29_____Wyrmrest Accord
Ellypta__________Undead_____Warrior____26____Norgannon
Ironbrit_________NElf________Hunter_____26____Gnomeregan
Ironmikey_______Human_____Warlock____25_____Wyrmrest Accord
Irionessa________Draenei_____Hunter____24_____Wyrmrest Accord
Zheleznyi_______Draenei______Hunter____24_____Wyrmrest Accord

There are at least 18 other challengers below this group. That makes nearly 30 active participants that I can positively identify, and an unknown number of others who either have not yet reached lvl 10 and are therefore untrackable, or who have not given enough information to find the toon.

This is apparently becoming rather popular – keep up the good work!
90 Undead Warlock
Spells & Abilities Rules:
7) You may train and use class abilities learned from trainers (including Rogue poisons)
7) No talent points/pet talent points
8) No specialization

O god, why....
85 Gnome Rogue
Here is what I imagine an updated group rule looking like:

9) No guilds.
10) No groups. All combat must be soloed --parties to trade/portal/etc. are permitted
11) No battlegrounds/arenas
12) No dungeons/raids that reward experience. All leveling must be done out in the world.

13) No combating-enhancing addons
14) No sending gold/items from other characters*

The underlined is the expanded/changed rule 10.

This would allow Iron Challengers to solo dungeons and raids.

Thoughts?
37 Draenei Hunter
May I suggest, do not feed the trolls.
85 Gnome Rogue
Welcome back!
37 Draenei Hunter
The modified dungeon rule effectively still outlaws soloing dungeons...unless of course one disables leveling before soloing a dungeon.

I see no reason to disallow soloing a dungeon and gaining experience from it. Wouldn't do it myself though, unless I seriously out leveled it.
Edited by Ironic on 1/25/2012 4:23 PM PST
85 Gnome Rogue
It outlaws soloing level appropriate dungeons, but I was responding to this concern:

01/25/2012 04:03 PMPosted by Chitra
However, soloing an out-leveled instance (for whatever reason) shouldn't be an issue.

Which is really just about farming achievements once the instances are trivial.
83 Orc Warrior
just made a troll warrior on norgannon, ironfighter... lets give this a go!
37 Draenei Hunter
Welcome Ironfighter :) If you haven't already, check out threads I and II Lots of good stories there, people often post their progress in journals, though it certainly isn't required.
85 Gnome Rogue
Welcome the the challenge! Hopefully someone from Norgannon drops in with the chat channel.
15 Dwarf Warrior
I think we should stick to the rules in post 1 above and not change anything in the middle of the challenge. Just my opinion :)

Also it seems 2 toons in the leaderboard have either dropped out or missed the rules somehow.
63 Blood Elf Hunter
Ironaria’s Letters (Level 32)

Dear Father,

I know I should not use our relationship to improve my lot within the Farstriders. You know as well as I that I have always proven myself by my skill alone. But I must ask a favour! Transfer me out of Hillsbrad!

This place is driving me insane!

I could go on and on about the things I have seen here in Hillsbrad, but I will keep this short.

The Forsaken are a vile and disgusting people. Completely indifferent to the sacredness of nature, they befouled it at every turn. No sooner had I joined up with the Deathwatchers then they assigned me to a spider breeding pit! These wretches keep bears chained and diseased so that their pet spiders can lay eggs in their flesh! A have never seen anything so nauseating! To make matters worse, they asked me to gather the eggs for them. A pair of gloves hardly protects for the feel of decaying flesh and soft gelatinous spider eggs. I feel I must wash just thinking back on it!

The Sludge Fields, as you can no doubt deduce from the name, is another joyous place in Hillsbrad! There I met a charming undead scientist who was performing experiments on living human subjects, and feeding them live to his ghouls! Buried up to your neck, waiting for some slobbering abomination to eat your face, I cannot think of a more terrible fate. And this scientist did not act alone! No, he was supported by an extensive staff of technicians and soldiers. I happened upon a single alchemist who had defied him, but the degree of support this monster had is appalling!

Finally, I must tell you how the Forsaken dealt with the human invasion from Alterac Valley. Rather than wage honourable war against them, or assassinate their leaders, these vile creatures decided it best to demolish all of northern Hillsbrad in the process! Four nuclear weapons were unleashed against the human camps! Half of these were training grounds and mechanic shops, which would have fallen easily to even a modest military force. But no, the Forsaken, backed by their Orcish allies, decided that nature must endure a lasting defeat for this small victory.

Of all the Horde I met in Hillsbrad, the only one with any semblance of decency was the ancient Orc Drek’Thar. In refusing to aid the Forsaken he has redeemed the Orcs in my eyes. Perhaps there is hope for these savages. If I am to be transferred, transfer me to an Orcish camp.

My apologies father, I thought that meeting our allies and learning their methods would make me a better warrior. Instead, I have become disgusted by these Forsaken and disillusioned with our tenuous alliance. The undead are too vile and too barbaric. I simply want to leave!

Anu belore dela'na,

Ironaria
Edited by Ironaria on 1/25/2012 5:13 PM PST
85 Gnome Rogue
01/25/2012 04:46 PMPosted by Ironori
I think we should stick to the rules in post 1 above and not change anything in the middle of the challenge. Just my opinion :)

There's certainly something to be said for consistency. Hopefully any changes will be more about clarity than actually changing the nature of the challenge.

I don't believe the dungeon rule could have affected anybody yet, so I personally don't have a problem with it. But thank you for the feedback. Hopefully more people give their opinions so we can come to a decision.

Also it seems 2 toons in the leaderboard have either dropped out or missed the rules somehow.

Interesting. Who?
Edited by Selenagnomez on 1/25/2012 4:49 PM PST
85 Gnome Rogue
That's fine. I can do my own detective work!

Ellypta is no longer participating
Ironessa was mispelled as Irionessa

When Aberzombie gets back I'm sure he'll see this and correct those errors.
37 Draenei Hunter
01/25/2012 04:46 PMPosted by Ironori

clarify?
37 Draenei Hunter
01/25/2012 04:46 PMPosted by Ironaria
Ironaria’s Letters (Level 32)

Thank you for sharing your letters with us. Your adventures...and misadventures....are disgustingly entertaining!
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]