The Ironman Challenge III

3 Tauren Paladin
Ironhuntress's newest applicant. Took some family time off but Im back and ready to start over. Good to see more and more people joining. Good luck to all participants
85 Draenei Priest
With all due respect you call that a "challenge"?
try this instead

:) amateurs

With all due respect, the vast majority of your suggestions do nothing but render this challenge more tedious rather than more difficult. In fact, other differences make your version much easier.

You're a beast mastery hunter with all your talents hiding behind a pet with all its talents grinding out experience on mobs I suspect you greatly outlevel. Drop the talents, the spec and the pet talents and go pick up a quest of at least somewhat appropriate difficulty; it's not as easy as you seem to think. Oh and leave the health pots at home. "Amateur".

I am more than happy to give credit where credit is due. I think getting to 47 without dying would be an accomplishment even on a fully geared character, but don't come in here stomping all over a bunch of people having fun when you are not even following what are the most difficult aspects of this challenge.
37 Draenei Hunter
Ironori, I guess I can see why you wouldn't want to name them publicly.
I'm a little more straight-forward about these things.

It's you Ironic. You drank Elixir of Minor Defense

Yes i did, and i confessed at the time...it was an instinctive impulse at lvl 3 when I received it at for a quest reward, and I immediately right clicked it to dispel the buff. I said at the time (feel free to check the thread) that i would gladly disqualify myself from "winning" but I did not want to delete the toon. Several people said that as long as I had dispelled the buff, they would overlook it.
Edited by Ironic on 1/26/2012 12:42 AM PST
85 Gnome Rogue
Okay, that sounds reasonable. Just wanted to check.
How do i sign up for this ?
85 Gnome Rogue
01/26/2012 01:02 AMPosted by Jackcold
How do i sign up for this ?

Just post here on the character you're using or give us the name/server so we can track you :)

Remember to keep us updated on your progress too. RP journals are fun but even a short blurb about your level and zone is nice.
Character :Jackcold
Server :Wyrmrest Accord
Jackcold the gnome warlock has joined The Ironman Challenge.

Tonkit died at level 10 from a bunch a evil trolls.
Edited by Jackcold on 1/26/2012 8:23 AM PST
82 Goblin Shaman
Count me in.

Groken
Wyrmrest Accord
21 Night Elf Rogue
well, it hasn't totally updated yet, but.....

This is Ironlockess's replacement, Wyrmrest Accord server now, currently level 12.

Time to see just how hard the rogues are in Ironman :)
33 Night Elf Druid
01/25/2012 11:24 PMPosted by Neverdied
...oh and do it on a pvp server. Today I had a level 63 die on one of the most imbalanced pvp servers...6 months of work to start over.

I have no doubt that there are plenty of 85s that would love nothing more than to seek out and destroy any competitors in this challenge (sad but true I fear).

Doing this on a PvP server is undoubtedly a significant challenge but seems more like a roll of the die as to whether you run across a player that you have absolutely no power to prevent them from killing you (at least high level elites don't wander outside of their zones and only chase you so far).

Let's keep this thread under wraps. Shhh, mum's the word.

IronWorgen V, level 18 Night Elf Druid
Edited by Ironworgen on 2/15/2012 11:23 PM PST
33 Night Elf Druid
Current top ten as compiled by Aberzombie from Echo Isles:
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/3881923142?page=24#471

Ok, here’s the latest “Top-10 Leaderboard”. Information gathered as of ~1:00 p.m. US Central time. Please keep in mind, 1) I’m doing this at work, so I can only devote so much attention to it, 2) the total time reading and getting up-to-date on the thread is now significant, 3) the time to check every “active” toon I can identify on the Armory and update the info in my spreadsheet, 4) composing and posting this update --- now takes nearly 2 hours r/l time. So, please, please understand that mistakes will happen.

First off, I want to say how much your efforts are appreciated, I understand the volume of work involved.

That being said, I wanted to suggest MORE work for you. :)

Was wondering if it might be possible without too much additional work to, in addition to the top ten, include the highest level achieved by each class not in the top ten.

Seem to be a lot of hunters, but I am curious about other classes, such as rogue or specifically druid, so everyone who may not be in contention for the top ten might have the top spot for their class in sight.

IronWorgen V, level 18 Night Elf Druid
Edited by Ironworgen on 2/15/2012 11:23 PM PST
37 Draenei Hunter
Aberzombie and all, please do not post my name on the Leaderboard any more. Although I am going to continue leveling this toon until death, however far I'm able to get, it's true that I violated a rule in the starting area. I would have started over then if I thought I had the remotest chance to get past my teens, but at this point I really want to see how far I can get.

Although I'm rightfully disqualified from the honor of the Leaderboard, I do believe that I should be able to continue posting in this thread from this toon, as long as she lives and I violate no further rules. After all, the group at the time said I had violated only the letter of the rules, not the spirit.

If others feel I should not participate from this toon, kindly say so.
37 Draenei Hunter
We are bound to get our share of people trolling this thread. I say, totally ignore them. Friendly tourists are welcome though.
85 Draenei Mage
If you really want to make it a challenge limit achievements to 100 points, no mounts allowed and only walking, no taxis...oh and do it on a pvp server. Today I had a level 63 die on one of the most imbalanced pvp servers...6 months of work to start over.

We're trying to make this more about combat ability than time and effort. Sure, limiting mounts and flight paths makes the challenge "tougher" but it's more the mental determination that is challenged rather than the player's ability. The same goes for removing questing. It draws the process out a lot longer without actually making it more difficult.

We're also trying to keep the community striving and the updates entertaining. That's just not going to happen when people spend 6 months killing boars only to die in PvP. Not to say the sense of accomplishment (and thrill of avoiding gankers) can't be exhilarating to some, but I think it would seriously cut into our participant numbers.

Combat ability? most participants as far as I can tell are hunters making it trivial. Using quests simply makes things 1000 times easier and seriously limits the number one challenge which is the Not Die...something that if you are questing is almost impossible to do since you can chose to never have to fight anything.

You could have simplified everything by making a Permadeath grind with 100 achievements points only allowed and see how many people fail for lack of preparation. I still think this is way too easy for a challenge and above all...its been done before.

and as for leveling on a pvp server THAT is a real challenge and it is doable...even on Illidan Alliance (trust me :). Hunters are extremely easy to level without death, only in the 60 levels will you have serious dangers when hitting Outlands and have multiple respawns killing you.

If this can bring more people to play the permadeath game then this is great...I have been promoting this gamestyle for years but as a veteran of this kind of challenge you set the bar very low.
Edited by Neverdied on 1/26/2012 8:55 AM PST
85 Gnome Warlock
Aberzombie and all, please do not post my name on the Leaderboard any more. Although I am going to continue leveling this toon until death, however far I'm able to get, it's true that I violated a rule in the starting area. I would have started over then if I thought I had the remotest chance to get past my teens, but at this point I really want to see how far I can get.

Although I'm rightfully disqualified from the honor of the Leaderboard, I do believe that I should be able to continue posting in this thread from this toon, as long as she lives and I violate no further rules. After all, the group at the time said I had violated only the letter of the rules, not the spirit.

If others feel I should not participate from this toon, kindly say so.

I don't see why you shouldn't be able to continue being on the leaderboard. Like you said, it was discussed early on(I also brought this up on page two) and us competitors at the time saw no problem with it then; don't see why this is suddenly a problem now.

Ironmikey, lvl 30 Warlock
Wyrmrest Accord(ally) - /join iron to chat!
85 Gnome Warlock
01/26/2012 08:49 AMPosted by Neverdied

We're trying to make this more about combat ability than time and effort. Sure, limiting mounts and flight paths makes the challenge "tougher" but it's more the mental determination that is challenged rather than the player's ability. The same goes for removing questing. It draws the process out a lot longer without actually making it more difficult.

We're also trying to keep the community striving and the updates entertaining. That's just not going to happen when people spend 6 months killing boars only to die in PvP. Not to say the sense of accomplishment (and thrill of avoiding gankers) can't be exhilarating to some, but I think it would seriously cut into our participant numbers.

Combat ability? most participants as far as I can tell are hunters. Using quests simply makes things 1000 times easier and seriously limits the number one challenge which is the Not Die...something that if you are questing is almost impossible to do since you can chose to never have to fight anything.

You could have simplified everything by making a Permadeath grind with 100 achievements points only allowed and see how many people fail for lack of preparation. I still think this is way too easy for a challenge and above all...its been done before.

Well, you are allowed your opinion.

Moving on.....
87 Blood Elf Paladin
I hate to be a stickler, but Ironic, the challenge says no secondaries other than First Aid, and you've been fishing :(
87 Blood Elf Paladin
Phew! Cause fishing doesn't even help you out!
87 Blood Elf Paladin
This idea is intriguing - I've been reading the three threads about it since I saw the first one a couple weeks ago. Has anyone put together a guide of white armor / weapons? I like the underground feel of the challenge.

I might have to make a character.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]