"But vent crashes my computer"

I've heard all sorts of excuses for not using Ventrilo (or another voice chat program). But this is a new one. "I can't use it because it crashes my computer". Seriously? Your computer can run WoW okay but Ventrilo crashes it? Weird.
Edited by Tearlag on 1/27/2012 4:48 PM PST
Reply Quote
3 Tauren Druid
85 Human Paladin
01/27/2012 04:47 PMPosted by Karaingar

Mumble.

Works better than vent and doesn't affect performance as much.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
If vent is affecting your game performance then it's time to get rid of the dinosaur.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
I don't use vent. I use Skype.
Reply Quote
ty, I know some people are uncomfortable with talking on chat and I thought this might be an excuse. I've never had any problem with vent myself. I'll suggest Mumble anyhow. When people can't even listen in over chat it makes some content tricky.
Reply Quote
64 Tauren Death Knight
make sure that they're using the latest version

i had an older version which i was using, and it made WoW blackscreen

... and that was if i was lucky.. sometimes it would hardlock the pc entirely.

updating it to the latest version fixed the issue.
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Shaman
VEX
01/27/2012 04:49 PMPosted by Ashok

Mumble.

Works better than vent and doesn't affect performance as much.

I hate Mumble. At least on my old computer Vent felt light and easy and didn't affect anything but Mumble did so bad. It took minutes to load whereas Vent took seconds.

I haven't installed either on my new computer yet but as it stands right now I hate Mumble, Vent sounded and felt so much better, at least to me.
Reply Quote
86 Undead Death Knight
When gaming with people I dont personally know I'l what ever vent server they have but with my real friends we use skype.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Death Knight
I personally far and away prefer Mumble over everything.
Reply Quote
94 Gnome Warrior
make sure that they're using the latest version

i had an older version which i was using, and it made WoW blackscreen

... and that was if i was lucky.. sometimes it would hardlock the pc entirely.

updating it to the latest version fixed the issue.
You avatar....its image has been burned into my mind. I can't unsee it! T_T

That being said, I've always seen it as a lame excuse, though I guess some people really do have issues with running vent and WoW at the same time.
Edited by Agrina on 1/28/2012 12:37 AM PST
Reply Quote
85 Orc Warrior
I've never really had performance issues running vent :-/
Reply Quote
86 Human Paladin
I love when people use the excuse "my vent is broke" hahaha
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Death Knight
01/27/2012 04:58 PMPosted by Tearlag
ty, I know some people are uncomfortable with talking on chat and I thought this might be an excuse. I've never had any problem with vent myself. I'll suggest Mumble anyhow. When people can't even listen in over chat it makes some content tricky.

Had an older laptop a few years back that vent would cause the system to blue screen, Never figured out why though i think it was interacting weird with the built in speech software and causing it to crit error windows or something.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Priest

Skype isn't ideal for raiding as you get a lot of background noise. The push-to-talk in Skype is awful, so most people don't use it, so you constantly hear the humming of computers, the breathing of your raid members, etcetera.
Reply Quote
85 Orc Death Knight

Skype is terrible unless you're PvPing.
Reply Quote
82 Blood Elf Paladin
When I had my old computer which ran the game at sub 10 FPS, ventrilo would have like 5k ping.

So sometimes it does. ღ
Reply Quote
01/29/2012 11:42 AMPosted by Vanarela

Skype isn't ideal for raiding as you get a lot of background noise. The push-to-talk in Skype is awful, so most people don't use it, so you constantly hear the humming of computers, the breathing of your raid members, etcetera.

I would say that is more of the headsets fault than skype. Either that or the person has there input volume way too high. I use skype all the time, and so do the people I play with, no issues.

I also use vent occasionally, and used to use it a lot. I like it just as much as skype I guess, there's nothing wrong with it. It just takes less time to start skype and begin a call. But saying Vent crashes your pc is ridiculous. I don't even see how that can happen.
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Death Knight
skype is the way to go vent is a thing of the past
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]