Ironman Challenge IV

46 Gnome Warlock

Ironmikey.....the Gnome!

I'm the most brutal and vicious, the most ruthless champion there has ever been. No one can stop me. Lennox is a conqueror? No! He's no Alexander! I'm Alexander! I'm the best ever. I'm Sonny Liston. I'm Jack Dempsey. There's never been anyone like me. I'm from their cloth. There is no one who can match me. My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable, and I'm just ferocious.

You a fan of Iron Mike? =)

lol.....no. Actually, I'm from Chicago, and a Bears fan. One of their former coaches, Mike Ditka, was nicknamed Iron Mike. I named my first attempt that, and when he unfortunately fell at the hands of Murlocs, I added the y to show it was a different toon to make it easier on Aberzombie, who had volunteered to keep track of everyone's progress.
90 Worgen Druid
Seems awfully biased toward hunters and perhaps warlocks. I don't see how it would even be possible on a melee character such as paladin, warrior, or rogue. Honestly, by the higher level it will be extremely difficult to take on even a single target and I can only see people resorting to extreme kiting. I'd rather not spend weeks or months kiting around mobs to keep such ridiculous requirements. A mage has some potential, but they would probably run OOM while trying to kite or get caught and destroyed. For 80 - 85 I would think that it would have to be a skilled hunter using FD and kiting or a warlock kiting with CoE and dots.

You only have around 10 - 12k base health at level 80 and the cata mobs begin at 30k health and hit for 1000+ damage. Level 83 cata mobs have 50k+ health and hit for ~3000 damage a hit on someone in gray gear. Melee characters don't have a chance unless they can figure out how to kite consistantly without getting hit o_O certain range would just be kiting with slows and cc to slowly widdle single mobs down while avoiding getting melee hit. With the pet, special abilities like FD, slows, and a constantly replenishable focus pool a hunter is the obvious choice. Warlock would be the next choice, but they would struggle to keep mana and would likely drain thier health all the way down through life tapping while kiting and risk dieing to a single hit.

It would require research and perhaps even reconnaissance on specfic mobs at the edge of zones where there is room to kite to figure out what is safe to pull and can be kited easily. From there it's just kite killing a specific mob for hours upon hours til you ding 85.
85 Undead Death Knight
This looks interesting. Maybe I'll try soon :3
90 Night Elf Hunter
Hey guys, is the Ironman that got highlighted part of this challenge or is it a separate one?

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/3269547347?page=1
85 Draenei Death Knight
Hey guys, is the Ironman that got highlighted part of this challenge or is it a separate one?

That's the Europe version, inspired by ours.
46 Gnome Warlock
[quote="39671641358"]Hey guys, is the Ironman that got highlighted part of this challenge or is it a separate one?

Like the FAQ section. probably should add something like that here.
90 Orc Warlock
I'm joining in on the fun. Peachtea - Human - Hunter - Earthen Ring

I'll update every 5 levels or so.
81 Human Mage
I found it hard to keep up with all these posts,I would go to sleep wake up look at the forums and BAM 10 new pages of stuff.

I suggest something like this a thread for:

1. Ironman Challenge RP Journals/RP news flash/RP updates.
2. Ironman Challenge sign in & top ten.
3. Ironman Challenge Questions & chatting

Is a good Idea
85 Dwarf Hunter
This sounds awesome! I've rolled up Ironfrey on Alliance-side WRA. I decided to crib from the EU version and randomize my race, class, and appearance and got a Draenei hunter. We'll see how this goes :)
46 Draenei Hunter
Welcome and good luck to the new participants!

As to the comments by Stratis above, saying it would be too difficult or even impossible in cataclysm.....did you run those numbers for how it would be at levels 80-85 in northrend? That would still be green level quests. At what level would it be reasonable to hit the cata quests? I'm thinking 83?

Certainly, if I make it that far, I am not, no way whatsoever, heading straight for Cata at level 80. I will want to stay alive.

Every expansion we've ever had has been relentlessly brutal on new arrivals in greens even, so they will be even harder in grays and whites. I recommend approaching them like a cave full of elites....avoid until you out level a bit extra.

The European version cited above has added an interesting twist as a suggestion.....race/class/appearance is by "roll of the dice". I believe they mean you simply take what you get when you hit "create new character". And those poor folks have decided they can't have bigger bags. I'm glad I'm here.

This sounds awesome! I've rolled up Ironfrey on Alliance-side WRA. I decided to crib from the EU version and randomize my race, class, and appearance and got a Draenei hunter. We'll see how this goes :)
Lucky roll!!
Edited by Aguantar on 1/30/2012 7:17 AM PST

The European version cited above has added an interesting twist as a suggestion.....race/class/appearance is by "roll of the dice". I believe they mean you simply take what you get when you hit "create new character". And those poor folks have decided they can't have bigger bags. I'm glad I'm here.

I used their model for picking a race/class.

Flipped a coin, and came up Horde.
Then rolled a 1d6 and a 1d10 to pick race and class. I had to reroll a few times because some combinations weren't possible (like Forsaken Paladin), or it liked to come up with DKs. You'd be surprised how often an invalid selection came up (17).

Hope I don't embarrass myself.
Edited by Drahkiron on 1/30/2012 7:48 AM PST
56 Blood Elf Mage
The European side also hasn't allowed for "Ironman Guilds" either.
I do like tlhat they have like over 600 posts in one thread.
AND
That a blizz moderator told them good luck.
We are on our 4th page, and blizz mods aren't looking.
Well, on the 5th page - which I am sure will happen...
Who is for the FAQ addition?
If so, what shall we add?

~Jani
26 Night Elf Druid
Journal of Ironamalia

entry three:

I made it to what is left of Darkshore into a town called Lor'danel. There is just way to much death there, bodies littered the shoreline. Poor Auberdine had all but been destroyed. I did what I could and managed to find a few that were still alive, I only hope that I found them in time.

I ran into Wizbang after I returned and he told me about the corruption of all the poor creatures of darkshore. If what I had seen already wasn't enough, now the animals are falling victim to horrible ends. I immediately went out in search of the corruption which eventually led me to a cave where I met a night elf who said that he had discovered that it was none other then my friend Zenn Foulhoof. I was shocked when I heard and immediately was angry. He obviously didn't learn his lesson the first time and I had wished that I wasn't as easy on him as I was. I felt responsable for what was happening here since I could have stopped him permanately before. I assured the night elf that I would make him pay for what he did.

When I finally confronted Zenn after killing his minions he just smirked at me and attacked. I think he thought that I was too weak to beat him but in the finally moments of the battle he looked into my eyes and saw that I wasn't going to let him off easy this time. He will cause no more trouble, at least that much is for sure. Hopefully Wizbang will find a cure soon. I felt horrible passing all the poor untainted creatures in cages but I could not find a key. It wasn't until I arrived back at the inn, tired from my adventures and going through my findings, that I realized that I had the key after all. I must have picked it up but was to busy with defending myself I hadn't noticed. I wanted to sleep so bad but just remembering those poor animals I had to go back and free them.

The first animal I set free I knew I had made the right decision. The joy on their faces made me feel all warm inside. I headed down the ramp and came to a demon that was not there before named Licillin. He was taunting and poking a poor rabbit and I knew I had to step in quickly. I underestimated his powerfulness and my life flashed before my eyes quite a few times. I had to heal and defend myself numerous times. I thought I was going to win but then saw another of his kind but lesser, bouncing in from the door across the way and coming right towards us. I thought I was a goner, I was only holding on by a sliver. Everything slowed down, I could see myself striking out at Licillin even as my eyes were watching the other demon slowly bouncing towards us. Thankfully at the last moment he veered towards the other side of the cave and never noticed the battle in my little corner, if he had I would have been a goner. Licillin lost his smile as I delivered the final death stroke. I freed the poor rabbit and we bothleft the cave as quickly as we could, freeing any more animals we came across.

I headed back to the inn and crashed on a bed for a few hours, glad to be alive.

Ironamalia LVL 13

Journal of Ironamalia

entry four:

I felt a bit better after my nap and decided to head out again since it was still a few hours until night. This time I was asked to extinguish the final flame of Bashal'Aran in a city where our ancestors once lived. I was honoured to be chosen to complete this task and was on my way quickly. I was losing daylight and it would take a bit of running to get there.

I found and located the flame with no problems. I had a feeling that this was to easy but quickly doused the flame and stood for a moment to remember our ancestors. I should have heeded the warning that there were cursed ghosts in the city but I had not seen only a handful and I had taken care of them quickly. I thought I was alone for a time at the flame.

A few moments after the flame went out my head whipped around hearing a screech and I saw two cursed ghosts rushing at me. I was so stunned I turned and backed up. I couldn't see anything, I was teetering on the edge of the cliff fumbling for my magic to defend myself. They were on top of me before I had sent my first spell at them. My health was quickly going down. I had to stop attacking and start healing. I was staring at them in horror and how they just kept coming at me even though the one was almost dead. I finally was able to finish him off and my wounds were easier to heal. I came close to seeing my own death but managed to heal myself completely before turning to the last foe before me. After the last ghost was dead I stood there staring at their dead balls of energy and took a deep breath. I remembered one of my kin along the shore who I came across earlier in the day saying to me before they passed that this is what it felt like to be mortal. I came closer to knowing that death then I would like.

I ran back to the inn as fast as I could after telling that the flame was doused and made a promise to myself that I would not leave again until a new day was born. Two close calls in darkshore that day was two to many. Now it is time for sleep. I hope tomorrow is much brighter.

Ironamalia lvl14
82 Night Elf Druid
01/30/2012 02:39 AMPosted by Stratis
You only have around 10 - 12k base health at level 80 and the cata mobs begin at 30k health and hit for 1000+ damage. Level 83 cata mobs have 50k+ health and hit for ~3000 damage a hit on someone in gray gear

01/30/2012 07:15 AMPosted by Aguantar
As to the comments by Stratis above, saying it would be too difficult or even impossible in cataclysm.....did you run those numbers for how it would be at levels 80-85 in northrend? That would still be green level quests. At what level would it be reasonable to hit the cata quests? I'm thinking 83?

Let me first state for the record, I am not an Ironman participant (that honor falls to my brethren IronWorgen). I have plenty of deaths and I do use talents.

I have mostly leveled in whites and grays from level 1 (with very few digressions). I am currently level 82 and progressing through Zul'Drak with nary a concern. Northrend really hasn't presented any problems.

I did run into issues in Outland (Shadowmonn and Netherstorm) because unlike other zones, those two still possess group quests I was unable to solo in white/gray gear. Not so much an issue if you are just leveling and can skip them and move on, but I am working on Loremaster and needed them to complete the zone achievement.

Anyone doing Ironman is going to be dealing with quests and mobs below their level so talking about doing Cata zones at 80 is just not realistic. I expect to reach 83 before leaving Northrend for Cata zones and with the post 80 stat inflation my health should easily be 20K+ which makes me viable in Hyjal I think. With some grinding to get to 84 I don't think there would be any question that Hyjal would be doable.

Biggest concern I have is how much more of a disadvantage would I be at if I wasn't using talents. Think that's probably a lot, but how much is the question (maybe I should try a despec and test the waters).
88 Human Priest
what about green/blue quest rewards? do we just vendor those?
20 Gnome Warrior
01/30/2012 02:39 AMPosted by Stratis
I don't see how it would even be possible on a melee character such as paladin, warrior, or rogue.

Leveling my 85 Prot Warrior was cake compared to this, but I'm having a blast. Hopefully I'll see an expansion or three with Talie. I've made it to 18 with her so far.

One same level mob is usually taking me to about 1/2 health at the moment with my poor/common gear.

Good luck everyone!
90 Orc Rogue
i got night elf female druid after many invalid roll/combos.
On earthern ring
level 1 aint sat down to have a real go yet but this looks interesting.
i have 18 85s atm and agree leveling is way too easy (As it stands with all benifits)
This should be a fun challenge.
Toon name Ironbark
90 Tauren Warrior
Sounds fun.

Ironascetic- female gnome priest, Earthen Ring server.

I'll be playing her between my 10 current 85's, but will update as I can.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]