Too scared to Arena...

85 Blood Elf Paladin
Rogue: Legendary + Vial
Mage: Legendary + Cunning
Priest: Mass Dispel Bubbles

Fixed
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Mage
As you already mentioned, in the upcoming patch there is a change to Vial of Shadows that should reduce some of the burst damage you are experiencing in PvP.

Dying in openers certainly isn't fun, and can be incredibly frustrating if you're the one on the receiving end of such a coordinated attack, but don't give up! In addition to perhaps taking some time to focus on other activities such as Rated and unrated Battlegrounds where you have more people to watch your back, you might also consider browsing some PvP videos from other members of the community to not only help inspire you, but to also arm you with a further arsenal of tactics that you can use to your own advantage against opposing teams.

Also, from my own experience, when I was having a lot of trouble against a certain class or spec that I felt countered my usual tactics, I found it helpful to sometimes grab a friend that played that class and spent some time dueling them so that they could critique me on areas where I could improve my skills, including my timing on using certain abilities, and how I could counter some of their own tactics. That way when I stepped back into arenas, I was more confident in my own skills and felt better-prepared for how to expose the weaknesses of my enemies.

Keep at it, and remember there are players out there equally as scared to see you step out onto the Arena floor. :)

So if you practice it will teach you how to outplay the dagger/vial opener? The naivete of some of their posts never ceases to amaze me. It's like they don't play the same game, or, more likely, simply refuse to admit when they've made mistakes that have ruined entire seasons for many players.

I'm with you on this one, it's a bit ridiculous to emphasize trying and practicing, when arena is basically broken this season. This is the first season since season 1 where I've truly lost all motivation to play. All the problems from Wrath that Cataclysm was supposed to resolve have come back and been amplified to a far worse degree. It's simply not fun.

Getting a huge combustion spread on Yor'Shaj adds and seeing jaw dropping numbers is fun. Watching myself go to 100-0 in 2-3 seconds with no way to counter it is not fun. The burst is so high the rogue can kill you even if you have pain suppression, but even if you survived that long, now you're dead anyway!

The options for me are either: don't play or find a rogue and healer.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Rogue
Rogue: Legendary + Vial
Mage: Legendary + Cunning
Priest: Mass Dispel Bubbles

Fixed
No time to bubble in those procs. lol
Reply Quote
85 Human Warrior
Blizz already stated they were not going to fix anything. This current patch is proof of their considerable lack of interest in balancing PvP. Vengeance fix? Its nothing compared to neglecting certain classes while others become insanely OP and dominate all aspects of the game. This is not what I signed up to pay money for. And of all the people to tell us to "L2P" would be a blue poster. Actually that's not surprising considering what they've done to the game thus far.
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Mage
01/26/2012 07:35 PMPosted by Numify
You should be more afraid of Frost Mages. At least Rogues can be peeled.

The best part about this is you've never hit 2k on that priest, but you're getting carried by an arena master rogue (basically, he's only missing last man standing) who will will have his legendary daggers very soon....

Sweet irony.
Reply Quote
85 Human Priest
Ok, I watched some videos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_4K0HR6LlU

Right here, this is the pinnacle of WoW PvP.

LOLOLOLOLLLLLLLLLLL

I would LOOOOOOOVEEEEEE to see a Blue reply to this and try to explain how this isn't stupid and that they're working on it.

PROBLEM SOLVED: NO PVE GEAR IN ARENAS.
Reply Quote
5 Troll Warrior
01/26/2012 05:00 PMPosted by Vaeflare
Keep at it, and remember there are players out there equally as scared to see you step out onto the Arena floor. :)

You're only saying that since he's not playing a resto druid.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
Blue must play a rogue.

Guys just watch videos on how to not die.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
01/27/2012 06:11 PMPosted by Efx
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_4K0HR6LlU

Wow.

Like someone said in another post, this must be the gradual emptying and filling of hit pools to move away from that wotlk burst.
Reply Quote
Community Manager
One of our upcoming goals in Mists of Pandaria is to make the gap between the overall DPS/healing of both PvE and PvP items smaller. In fact, we have design plans for new PvP combat mechanics that will make PvP gear and weapons markedly better in PvP than equivalent level PvE gear and weapons.

The overall goal is to reduce the barrier for crossing between PvE and PvP (and vice versa), as well as to also ensure that PvP gear is the best in PvP, and PvE gear is the best in PvE.

More details on these upcoming changes will be posted as they become available.

01/26/2012 05:40 PMPosted by Vandaro
I respect your polite tone and I know you are just trying to raise the OP's spirits but even your own words really boil down to having someone bail you out when a Rogue strikes. While that is indeed the best and often only solution, it really doesn't say much about the balance of Rogues in general.

Regardless of anyone’s rankings past or present, the process of learning and striving to improve never stops: it helps even the most battle-hardened gladiator remain able to go toe-to-toe with their fiercest opponents.

In team-based combat such as Arenas, pressuring an enemy in order to go for a kill or striving to protect your comrade from being the brunt of a focused assault are part of the experience, no matter what classes are driving to get the job done. Most matches are an incredibly complicated dance between combatants: a push and pull of offensive and defensive tactics, of coordinating switches, interrupts, dispels, crowd control, and of learning when to use your particular cooldowns or abilities, and when to change your tactics on the fly. Depending on who you ask, what class they are, what brackets they are in, and what team compositions they run, you are likely to get a totally different answer as to what particular class gives them the most trouble at any given time.

As far as the current balance of various classes: it’s something we are, as always, keeping a close watch on. We welcome you to post constructively about your observations in the appropriate threads, and the more focused and on-topic you can keep it, the better.

While it's not possible to address every individual thread or concern of the community, rest assured we are listening, regardless if you see us post within a particular thread or not.
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
I hope you guys come to realize just how much this sort of persistant balance problems drives people away. It always seems to happen and the same classes seem to always bubble to the top. I am no arena hero and probably never will be. But I sure as hell would love to do things like arena and rated BG's for fun but I don't and haven't because I am, most of the time, at a disadvantage simply because of the class/spec I enjoy playing. Even if I did want to, it extremely hard finding anyone else who does (likely for the same reasons) want to arena. Forget rated BG's can't find 2 people to arena I sure as hell can;t find 10 to do rated BG's.

Here's hoping you guys do something different in MoP to balance things more consistantly but it has been many long years and I am quite tired of hoping.
Reply Quote
5 Troll Warrior
One of our upcoming goals in Mists of Pandaria is to make the gap between the overall DPS/healing of both PvE and PvP items smaller. In fact, we have design plans for new PvP combat mechanics that will make PvP gear and weapons markedly better in PvP than equivalent level PvE gear and weapons.

The overall goal is to reduce the barrier for crossing between PvE and PvP (and vice versa), as well as to also ensure that PvP gear is the best in PvP, and PvE gear is the best in PvE.

I respect your polite tone and I know you are just trying to raise the OP's spirits but even your own words really boil down to having someone bail you out when a Rogue strikes. While that is indeed the best and often only solution, it really doesn't say much about the balance of Rogues in general.

Regardless of anyone’s rankings past or present, the process of learning and striving to improve never stops: it helps even the most battle-hardened gladiator remain able to go toe-to-toe with their fiercest opponents.

In team-based combat such as Arenas, pressuring an enemy in order to go for a kill or striving to protect your comrade from being the brunt of a focused assault are part of the experience, no matter what classes are driving to get the job done. Most matches are an incredibly complicated dance between combatants: a push and pull of offensive and defensive tactics, of coordinating switches, interrupts, dispels, crowd control, and of learning when to use your particular cooldowns or abilities, and when to change your tactics on the fly. Depending on who you ask, what class they are, what brackets they are in, and what team compositions they run, you are likely to get a totally different answer as to what particular class gives them the most trouble at any given time.

As far as the current balance of various classes: it’s something we are, as always, keeping a close watch on. We welcome you to post constructively about your observations in the appropriate threads, and the more focused and on-topic you can keep it, the better.

While it's not possible to address every individual thread or concern of the community, rest assured we are listening, regardless if you see us post within a particular thread or not.

So "Mists will fix everything." Forgive people for their skepticism, but TBC, WotLK, and Cataclysm were purported to address these issues, and yet PvP is still in a pretty shabby state. So I hope you can understand how people are skeptical.

Also, "just keep at it for the next 6-10 months while we sit back and do nothing for Cataclysm" doesn't really help out the shattered spirits. And no, nerfing the wrong specs (tank specs), while leaving frost mages and rogues as gods and forsaking resto druids to be the joke of PvP healers (as they have been for most of this expansion already) doesn't count as "doing something."
Reply Quote
85 Undead Mage

The problem is just that these days you don't even have to coordinate your ccs to line up perfectly for a kill with the state certain comps and classes are in. And honestly, I imagine that 7/10 classes will say that rogues give them the most trouble.
Reply Quote
85 Human Warlock

Lol he dodging the 2sec kill video!! Ya push and pull, you think we are idiot or what? The rogue push 1000 while other class can push 100 back. This push and pull based on BALANCE. BALANCE!!!! ps: Not BALANCE druid, I mean BALANCE!
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]