Cataclysm PVP Feedback

100 Dwarf Warrior
Also, in order to avoid starting a new thread:

* I'd like to see a simple matchmaking system imposed on the random battleground system, similar to what games like Halo have. When you first start queuing for random BGs on a character, your matchmaking value is zero, but as you win matches and achieve objectives, you gradually acquire a personal rating and the system automatically does its best to pair you up with and against players with a similar rating. This would go a long way toward the widespread perception of WoW PVP as, basically, a ball pit full of morons.

* I really don't see why every graveyard in every random battleground isn't, bare minimum, like the ones in Wintergrasp. It's 2012 and you guys run the most popular MMORPG in the world; why are we still talking about spawn camping? This is a lesson the entire FPS genre learned about ten years ago.

* I made a thread about this a while back, which didn't get a lot of posts, but please steal an idea from Left 4 Dead 2 and introduce random complications into the older maps, in order to spice them up a bit. Maybe a "mutated" battleground could be an alternate option to doing a random BG for the extra rewards.

Mutations could include the presence of NPCs in WSG or AB, terrain adjustments (such as a flash flood that's turned midfield in WSG into a shallow lake), or the BG being invaded by a third party such as the Scourge or the Twilight's Hammer.
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
01/28/2012 12:57 PMPosted by Eldacar
Players often have BG's they don't particularly enjoy, the ability to opt-out of 2-3 maps for random queues similar to the system that exists in Starcraft 2 would be amazing.

^ This.

If this is all they did in mists I would be soooooooooooooooooooo happy!
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Rogue
  • What are your biggest PVP related quality of life issues? (Things that are an inconvenience but don't significantly affect game play or balance)
  • My biggest problem is the amount of players who queue in Bgs who expect others to carry them. Im not just refering to players in sub-par gear, but those that afk, bot, and any and all other forms of game play that have a character in the game, but the player is not trying to help the team win. Blizzard needs to either get more aggressive in their removal of these kinds of players from Bgs or give players better tools to deal with them.

Also, healers are out of control. A healer should not make or break a BG, but they do. A simple mechanic like diminishing returns on heals on targets that were just healed by that healer would go a long way in fixing the issue of the unkillable dps and their unkillable pocket healer. My alt is a priest, so I know what I speak about on this!

• What Cataclysm BG changes/additions did you like?
  • To be honest, PvP felt very simular to Wrath PvP. The 2 new Bgs were great. Getting away fomr vehicles and such was a good idea, and it allowed for some fun PvP. I just dont suggest making AB smaller like you did with Battle for Gilnaes....5 flags was a good choice...3 flags just makes the team with the most healers win the match.

• What Cataclysm Arena changes/additions did you like?
  • WSH GY being moved at the beginning of Cata was a bad move. It just allows teams to farm other teams more efficiently. Move it back. If the change was due to rated battlegrounds, then make the GY move for rated BGs only.

• What are your top issues with Battlegrounds in Cataclysm?
  • Too many players queue up expecting to be carried by other players. Dealing with this takes a simple 30 minute PUG objective (like winning your 1 BG for valor) and turns it into a 3 or 4 hour endeavor.

• What are your top issues with Arenas in Cataclysm?
  • IMO, arenas are so far from relaistic PvP, its silly. The way the arena mechaincs play, its all about CC, burts damage, and getting the first player to die on the other team. On top of that, many players manipulate the system in various ways to get a better score. I also feel arenas are the main contributor to the fall off in battleground PvP quality...it just teaches players ot chase after red names, and it carries over to BGs.

• What are your top issues with General PVP in Cataclysm?
  • premades vs. pugs is a problem that still plagues PvP.

• What already announced Mists PVP changes/additions are you most looking forward to?

• the changes to gear requirements for both PvP and PvE will go a long way in fixing some major problems, but its only a start.
    Edited by Casine on 3/22/2012 3:37 AM PDT
    Reply Quote
    74 Human Paladin
    We should get some gold for the battlegrounds or at least not be spending gold to repair all the time. its a money drain for those that mostly pvp.
    also adding a buff that balances stats for the battleground would make pvp more enjoyable for new players and lower lvl players , like the bolster buff in swtor.
    Reply Quote
    100 Human Mage
    I'm pretty convinced that 99% of peoples' attitudes going in random BG's is simply.....
    ..."Meh, the other people will carry me"....

imo, thats what cata bg's are....it's a sad sad state in WoW BGs
    Reply Quote
    57 Worgen Rogue
    I think more large scale BGs would be fun.

Ideas:

Assault on: Stormwind, Orgymar, all of the capital cities. You don't even have to make a new map. Just start the alliance in the cathedral, the horde at the gate. Make each district have some sort of objective that would need to be capture, which would open up the throne room of the king. It's like FTA or FTH, but as an organized BG with set numbers on each side. There's NPCs, there's fire, catapults, vehicles maybe, idk.

Why aren't the battlegrounds actual places on the map that people can go to. In my mind, PVP then has some meaning, because there ground that you see every day that you're winning/losing. Right now we're capturing flags and winning nodes that arne't anywhere on the map. If you put them on the map, you could have portals for guild challenges, grandstands, etc.Increase the amount of gold given from capturing an insignia, and take it out of the other player's bags. Like at least 1g per death, maybe 2. And if they run out of money, they are done, no more BGs for you. You have to have g to raid; why don't you have to have it to BG?
    Reply Quote
    70 Human Rogue
    03/21/2012 10:07 PMPosted by Aldorath
    Players often have BG's they don't particularly enjoy, the ability to opt-out of 2-3 maps for random queues similar to the system that exists in Starcraft 2 would be amazing.

^ This.

If this is all they did in mists I would be soooooooooooooooooooo happy!

+1also add more dr to resilience at 85 or something

chasing a disc priest around a pillar for 35 mins with their offensive capability is annoying
    Reply Quote
    I did not enjoy the fact that 1v1 battles between a healer and an equally geared dps rarely ended.
    Reply Quote
    1 Orc Rogue
    03/14/2012 12:00 PMPosted by Ebonvine
    At the beginning of Cata, PvP battles were longer as intended. Then someone intentionally changed resilience scaling so it wouldn't match damage scaling. It's as if someone broke the system on purpose, and now we're back to quick and massive swings in player health, both up and down
    am i the only one that doesnt want longer pvp battles? slow, boring, exhausting grinds to the death are not my idea of a good time.

give me quick, exciting splattering death, and on to the next victim. ill take the days of going through 10 enemies before i am brought down like in level 60 pvp days.

rated pvp games would have been fantastic before the entire game became about controlling healers. i just dont see the fun in the entire strategy and focus of the fight being about what happens to healers.

less about numbers would be my message to the developers. someone made a good comment about horder vs alliance. it used to be everything you did in the game pve pvp whatever was so you could more effectively murder the other faction. i have never had a problem with pve gear in pvp, what would you have them do? make sure you cant use it out in the world against the opposite faction?

bring back the hate.
    Reply Quote
    90 Night Elf Druid
    -
    Edited by Jiff on 6/14/2012 3:22 PM PDT
    Reply Quote
    38 Worgen Rogue
    no more bonus honor given
    no more bonus conquest points given
    and no more resilience.
    Reply Quote
    85 Human Paladin
    To reiterate.. World PvP would be great, and I really like the idea of opting out certain BG's in the random queue because I really can't stand a few of them.
    Reply Quote
    85 Human Paladin
    Bullying by large premades shoulda been stopped long ago./
    Reply Quote
    85 Night Elf Druid
    I have several problems with the current system but Eldacar addressed most of them.

One I have left that I haven't seen addressed (though I didn't read every post so if someone else mentioned it, forgive me)

Friday night, in AV, I was the #2 healer for the winning team, healing over 10 million. I had two GY caps and a bunker cap. Yet despite all that I had the lowest honor gained. In fact, my honor gained was so low that several people on the LOSING SIDE...got more honor than I did. This has been going on for a very VERY long time, but this one was a serious slap in my face. When I complained? "Working as intended, no need to fix". B....S....!

It's already hard enough to be a healer, often living in the GY, being yelled at by your team for being unable to break the 5th of the chain of CC on us , routinely watchng people run by while we're sapped or worse have 2 rogues + 3 pets on us and nobody cares. The very least that could be done is treat our healing like DPS and give us the same honor they get. We deserve more for the abuse we take but I'll accept simple equality.
    Edited by Serennia on 4/8/2012 2:46 PM PDT
    Reply Quote
    I think there really is only 2 problems that need to be addressed.

Some classes since the start of Cataclysm have struggled in PvP. Warriors being a good example. When imbalance occurs for an entire expansion it really should be attended to far quicker. I hope the PvP Power and I think it was called PvP Defence is your answer to huge class imbalances.

Secondly revert back to not awarding losing teams. There is no reason to win for many players know they will get gear anyway. People need to be forced to play the game and not treat it like a way to get easy ilevel items for raids.
    Reply Quote
    100 Troll Druid
    I want to address one thing. Understanding that nothing in this world is perfect so with that in mind the ONLY thing I want to see in MoP which I did NOT see in Cat was this:
    I just want timely changes to imbalances in PVP.

Not every imbalance is going to be noticed right out of the gate and I am sure one class will be OP at time to time. The major concern I have is this, just fix it as it happens. Make PVP an on going break fix ordeal and I will be happy and continue to play. Don't and I promise MoP will be my last expansion.
    One thing I liked about Cata which I prefer over Wrath was the ability (like in TBC) to buy weapons with Honor. Please never remove that again.
    Edited by Gramr on 4/8/2012 4:18 PM PDT
    Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
    Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]