Cataclysm PVP Feedback

90 Dwarf Paladin
What are your biggest PVP related quality of life issues? (Things that are an inconvenience but don't significantly affect game play or balance)

Nothing in particular.

What Cataclysm BG changes/additions did you like?

The Rated BG's.

What Cataclysm Arena changes/additions did you like?

The new arena team UI.

What Cataclysm General PVP changes/additions did you like?

The chance in resilience effect: flat damage reduction instead of crit/dot reduction.

What are your top issues with Battlegrounds in Cataclysm?

The random BG team mismatching.... there is no balance in the number of healers on each team... as a paladin... even when I join as retribution, I have to change to holy to make sure we have at least 1 healer. It is kinda annoying when I want to join as dps and not as healer.

Also, I don't mind if there is some kind of partial premades (up to 5 players) against my random BG team... but It's really annoying when you face a full premade (let's say 10 players premade in a WSG match). The queue system should not allow a full premade to face a full random team in random BGs.

What are your top issues with Arenas in Cataclysm?

The fight duration and healers in 2v2 arenas. The games are way too long. The suggestion of Eldacar to add a 10-15 min cap is good (as you did in BGs with WSG and the 25 min max cap). There is no real problem with the fight duration in 3vs3 or 5vs5.

What are your top issues with General PVP in Cataclysm?

The crowd control in general. I like the general mechanic of CC and the purpose of CC… but here is too many forms of crowd control for some classes and not enough for others. It can be quite difficult for a holy paladin to heal at all in a RBGs when everyone focus on me to chain CC me until everyone is dead in my team…

My suggestion would be to make the diminishing return work for every CC… not only for fear if you are fear… but also if the mage sheep you right after you were fear or the druid cyclone, etc. There should be a time period of 15 sec (more or less) when you are not affected by CC after the 2-3 initial CCs.

I think there is a lot of tuning to do with classes and abilities in general, especially for pvp purpose and the so important game balance. If u removes some CCs from the game, you need to give something in return (like defensive skills). Also, it would not be a bad idea for every type of skill (CC, defensive skill, offensive skill, special skill) to have the same cd duration for every class. If we talk about CCs, there should be 2 kinds of CC: instant CC with a medium-long cd (30sec-1min) that break when u take damage… and 2 to 3 second cast CC with no cd or a small cd (6 to 15sec) that break when you take a specific amount of damage (let’s say 50%).

I think it would be a good idea to add some limited gold rewards to random BG's in addition to the honor awarded, as Eldacar mentioned.

What already announced Mists PVP changes/additions are you most looking forward to?

The revised talent system looks good, for pvp because players will have to chose their skills, not take the best spec based on mathematics… I think the choice will be difficult for many skills.

PS: I'm french, forgive me for my bad english :P
Edited by Feudor on 7/27/2012 11:21 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
I have no idea how you can handle the problem that PVP is mostly centered around healers. Kill the healer, win; ignore the healer (or are unable to kill), lose. That's it.

This is ok, and "balanced", I suppose - except when I get put in a 10 man team with NO healers vs a 10 man team with 3 healers. We all lol'd and did our best, but scarcely got a single kill in a rather lame experience.

I've also been put into a BG vs a team with 6 healers, and they couldn't do any dps at all... that was funny too, thank goodness for timers.

So, if you are unable to balance classes (granted, seems beyond Bliz's capability), at least put some effort into random BGs having some form of balance.

My other gripe is that no healer, no matter how geared, should be able to survive vs 3 or more dps players. But, they do, all the time. I know, the answer is I'll roll a healing monk... I get it. But I wonder if I will lol if I get into a bg with 9 other healing monks... ;)

I also greatly hate that you don't allow mixed builds. I realize it was to simplify the game for bad players (which most people are). But I hate that people see Bone Shield and then know *exactly* how to play PVP wise. Instead, allowing mixed builds would be a lot more interesting - sure Bone Shield, but then also Killing Machine... "oh, maybe we need to play this guy differently." The over simplification tends to take away flavor to PVP.
Edited by Fixi on 8/21/2012 10:28 AM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
the 3 things i would like to change

1)conquest pts should work the same way as honor is distributed
not all for the winner and nothing for the loser as it is now in a bg. this will allow progression in the higher end gear upon participation in battles making sure that battlegroups stay in balance over time.

2)the Afk tool should be modified to kik the originator of the kick as well as the person being kicked .it prevents abuse of the tool and still allows us action against players of abuse in game

3)A solo que option as a choice (a box check) which only ques against other players that check that option as well.
This will allow people to participate in games w/o running into premades and will still allow people the option to group que with their friends for people that want to do so
Edited by Naturalblack on 8/21/2012 11:45 AM PDT
Reply Quote
29 Troll Druid
3 Steps to fixing PvP (end-game permanently).

1. Place more stamina on PvP gear. This allows you to tweak a stat that is not extraneous (resilience) and still maintain the damage that you have in PvE. Make tank stats worth more for PvE (or more necessary (parry/dodge etc). That makes it so tanks are not using PvP gear for BiS.

2. Remove PvE gear entirely from PvP. THIS IS TRUE EVERY EXPANSION BARRING NONE. This is singlehandedly the biggest complaint in PvP period. The first season is always meh because it's new and balancing is hard. The middle seasons are always the best and the last one is always the worst due to PvE gear scaling. Remove PvE gear - you have good PvP.

3. Make the punishments for win -trading/ carries (ESP BOTTING) etc harsher. Frankly, the amount of subscriptions you are losing for this far outweighs the few you are not losing for not punishing harshly. Please get an outside analyst company (Bain etc) to do the analysis for you. Clearly your in house analysts are not getting the job done.
Reply Quote
99 Human Paladin
I liked how it was fairly easy to get passable PvP gear. This was unlike early Wrath, where PvP gearing was way too restrictive.

Tol Barad was a disappointment. It seems it was too subject to falling into domination by one faction or the other on a server.

The new battlegrounds didn't work out very well -- not a lot of fun -- but at least they aren't Strand.

Arena and rated BGs I just ignored.

I very much like that the new talent system in MoP will remove the need for a separate PvP spec. That's especially beneficial for hybrid classes.
Reply Quote
1 Human Paladin
01/29/2012 04:22 PMPosted by Kaivax
I love WoW PvP, and I hope this thread carries on!

I also love wow pvp, this is what keeps me playing wow since vanilla... But I'm still far from satisfied with the class balance in pvp. I remember the promises of reducing the burst... but, I didn't see too much difference from wotlk... I actually think the design of pvp in wotlk was better than cata, at least a lot of class/specs could burst.

And wow, just wow.... wtf you did with rogues!? were you drunk guys, lol? on drugs? How can you give to a class so much cds, so much control, burst and survivability like this? Have you actually tested it? really? rogues, dks, ferals and mages are the choice of this exp, right? who will be the choice of MoP?

My theory is the devs do it on purpose, they want the class/spec X, Y, Z to be OP for 6-8 months.

Well, I'm sorry, after the cataclysm I already lost my faith to play a balanced pvp in wow. However, you did a good job changing resi to a flat dmg redution.
You also did a better job in the pve departament. ;)

My suggestion is: If you can, do a good revision about the overall ccs, silences, interrupts, defensive cds you are giving to each class/spec. And how it will interact with the new dispel mechanics. (btw the current dispel spam is another joke)
Edited by Stvc on 8/21/2012 6:50 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Death Knight
HEALCRAFT YAWN
Reply Quote
1 Human Paladin

Well, I'm sorry, after the cataclysm I already lost my faith to play a balanced pvp in wow.

After doing a ton of pvp after the patch 5.04 with 4 different chars and still learning the new things, I think I must say that my faith is back lol

I know the things might not be yet working 100% like it should be, but I'm really loving this new "slow" pvp. Where you have more time to trace strategy, to time your burst and CCs the way you think is better. The game is rewarding the players who are playing better ( or trying to).

Again, I'm not saying ALL things are perfect and working how it should be, but I think the devs did a great job slowing down the pvp a bit.

Goodbye to the "2 globals" pvp model! /clap

And congratulations to the blizzard team of developers. I think you are going the right way.
Edited by Stvc on 8/30/2012 1:10 AM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
After doing a ton of pvp after the patch 5.04 with 4 different chars and still learning the new things, I think I must say that my faith is back lol

I know the things might not be yet working 100% like it should be, but I'm really loving this new "slow" pvp. Where you have more time to trace strategy, to time your burst and CCs the way you think is better. The game is rewarding the players who are playing better ( or trying to).

Again, I'm not saying ALL things are perfect and working how it should be, but I think the devs did a great job slowing down the pvp a bit.

Goodbye to the "2 globals" pvp model! /clap

And congratulations to the blizzard team of developers. I think you are going the right way.

I agree it sucks to die in two globals, but it also sucks when backpedaling healers without any binds are able to tank me. Overpowered healing is not the answer to fixing PvP.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
What Cataclysm Arena changes/additions did you like?

The 'overhaul' on Ring of Valor was a nice change.
Still not my fav map, but the changes were nice.

What Cataclysm General PVP changes/additions did you like?

~ Can't think of any.

What are your top issues with Battlegrounds in Cataclysm?

Lowering the graveyards in my opinion a bad move, promoted a lot more GY farming, which makes the games boring and if you're on the receiving end, frustrating.

What are your top issues with Arenas in Cataclysm?

The disconnection bug when you hit a wall/certain spots in arenas i.e. the tomb in Lorderon/pillars in Nagrand.

(I heard this wasn't a bug and put in place to stop people "getting where they're not supposed to be", which honestly just annoyed me because I've lost many arena matches due to being disconnected mid-game).

What are your top issues with General PVP in Cataclysm?

The Resil change i am not a fan of, it pretty much made it armour, which to be honest in PvP is useless.

The problem with PvP in Cata was burst was too high and CDs of high performing classes (Rogues/mages/locks/Boomkins) were fairly short making it very hard to keep up with healing.

At least as a Hpal.

What already announced Mists PVP changes/additions are you most looking forward to?

If there are still changes to be announced, I'm keen to hear them.

But as for changes/additions?

• The resil change I'm hoping will work, stop PvE items from breaking the PvP game.
  • The fact you can see what classes/specs you're vsing before an arena match starts is fantastic, helps you counter the team the best you can for a 'fair' fight.
  • Being able to change spec in the preparation room of the arenas, in conjunction with the above.
  • The overall talent changes are fantastic for my class, I think I'm going to have a lot more fun, being a more offensive healer than just sitting at the back using instants and going in for a HoJ.
  • And things I'm not looking forward to... instant Fear (Horrendous idea)
    Reply Quote
    MVP - World of Warcraft
    87 Tauren Paladin
    Guys this thread is from eight months ago, I am not sure why it was necro'ed but if you have feedback to give it would probably be best to post it in a more recent thread or start a new thread.
    Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
    Explain (256 characters max)
    Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]