Transmogging weapons

13 Troll Mage
02/02/2012 12:18 PMPosted by Daxxarri
Just curious as to why its possible to freely transmog between gun, bow and xbow, but other weapon types have to be kept the same?

Remember that Transmogrification isn't 'done', and that more changes might come in the future. At first, we had concerns that if we allowed non-ranged weapons to be transmogrified into completely different weapons that they would lose a sense of flavor and identity. Our perspective may be changing on that front, though, and over time the current restrictions could be eased further.

Anyway, it's because hunter ranged weapons each make a distinct sound that they were a bit more loosely restricted in this first pass. I'm sure that the hunters in the audience can explain why that's valuable.

Thats very happy to hear, i cant find a sword that really fits with my current transmog theme on one of my toons and i really wanted to use a mace.... Of course that's not possible as of now.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Shaman
02/02/2012 12:30 PMPosted by Korlek
But melee weapons make a distinct sound between maces and axes/swords =P

To a much lesser extent, though. Far less noticeable than what hunters have to deal with ("thwup" as opposed to "BOOOOOOOOOM" every shot).

It's true and I understand their reasoning behind that particular decision. I was just poking fun at it =D

Also I agree with the above person, I wish I could use polearms on my paladin. I always felt Belfs had an amazing polearm animation but it could never be put to use since hunters barely melee, and nobody else uses them.
Reply Quote
7 Undead Rogue
How about the main hand weapons, is there any reason we cant mog these?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Hunter
I hope that they eventually go the EQ2 rout, of letting us wear(aka Transmog), and use anything. Any weapon, any armor, anything, but the stats remain the same.

I have a few maces, and axes, that I'd like to use on my hunter.

Edited by Tharvon on 2/2/2012 12:41 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Warlock
Are you ever going to let us transmog main-hand to off-hand or at least one-handed weapons? I mean, even if you don't like mh go to oh or vise versa, it's pretty ridiculous that you can't transmog between mh and oh to one-handed.
Reply Quote
96 Tauren Druid

To a much lesser extent, though. Far less noticeable than what hunters have to deal with ("thwup" as opposed to "BOOOOOOOOOM" every shot).

It's true and I understand their reasoning behind that particular decision. I was just poking fun at it =D

Also I agree with the above person, I wish I could use polearms on my paladin. I always felt Belfs had an amazing polearm animation but it could never be put to use since hunters barely melee, and nobody else uses them.

/signed

I don't like how there's hardly any variety in new content. It's like each of your slots gets ONE particularly drop in a raid and thats its. No customization. Why not have a bunch of weapons that accomplish the same goal? Why aren't there anymore 2H caster maces? Or strength polearms?
Edited by Korlek on 2/2/2012 12:43 PM PST
Reply Quote
Community Manager
Anyway, it's because hunter ranged weapons each make a distinct sound that they were a bit more loosely restricted in this first pass.

Maces, swords, axes, and polearms sound different, as well. Personally I can't stand the dull thunk of maces.

I'm not saying they don't, but the differences weren't a consideration to us because we based the decision on pre-transmogrification player feedback. We heard a reasonable number of concerns about hunter weapon sounds, but none at all about other weapons.
Edited by Daxxarri on 2/2/2012 12:45 PM PST
Reply Quote
10 Troll Warlock

Am I never going to be able to transmog my gas mask?

(゚ヮ゚)?*

*This face doesn't mean anything.

I'd also like to use my gas mask for transmogrification. It's part of my collection of silly helms that make my guild mates go "JUST WEAR SOMETHING NORMAL!"
Reply Quote
Community Manager
02/02/2012 12:42 PMPosted by Korlek
Why aren't there anymore 2H caster maces? Or strength polearms?

We've moved away from making really "wacky" decisions about item stat assignment to make weapon selection more intuitive. These aren't rules that are written in stone, of course, just general guidelines we've been following to make it more clear which classes a particular type of item is likely to be good for.
Edited by Daxxarri on 2/2/2012 12:45 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
02/02/2012 12:37 PMPosted by Daxxarri
Will refers to easing restrictions in general, just not necessarily this one in particular.

Alrighty.

We still want Transmogrification to evolve, so that's still likely.

We're just not gunna get a when out of you, are we? (Don't you dare say Soon™!)

*This face doesn't mean anything.

What is with you guys & tormenting me about my head gear?!?

Can't have pigtails, can't transmog my gas mask...

I normally don't do this but, ┻━┻ ︵ヽ(`Д´)ノ︵ ┻━┻

So much rage.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Hunter

Maces, swords, axes, and polearms sound different, as well. Personally I can't stand the dull thunk of maces.

I'm not saying they don't, but the differences weren't aa consideration to us because we based the decision on pre-transmogrification player feedback. We heard a reasonable number of concerns about hunter weapon sounds, but none at all about other weapons.

Interesting....

Is there a timeline for the loosening of Trasmog restrictions? Is their anything on the table as of yet?

Do you guys have any plans to eventually loosen the resections completely?

I love Transmog. ^_^

Reply Quote
Community Manager
I normally don't do this but, ┻━┻ ︵ヽ(`Д´)ノ︵ ┻━┻

So much rage.

┬─┬ノ(º_ºノ) ┬─┬

There, that's better.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
Then again, there is nothing more horrid than dual wielding 2 different types of weapon (a dagger and a mace for example).

I would be really happy if i could, per say, xmog both weapons into Zul'Gurub's pair of awesome green daggers. Or at least loose the restrictiion to allow:
1H maces <> 1H axes <> 1h swords <> fists <> daggers (regardless of main-hand off-hand)

Staves <> Spears

2H Axes <> 2H Swords <> 2H Maces <> Spears (this would solve people asking for STR spears too. if they like the animation let them have it. personally, imagine a warrior dual wielding spears *-*)

Part of the problem with polearms is that there's not a 1h animation for polearms (other than just carrying it around in one hand). They'd have to make animations for every race for dual wielding polearms for fury warriors.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Rogue
It would be nice if the main hand/off hand/one hand restrictions were lifted.

I've got a nice dagger from Heroic MgT sitting in my bank. :)
Reply Quote
13 Troll Mage

Might? What happened to will?

What about lightening up on restrictions?

Am I never going to be able to transmog my gas mask?

They want to take their time and make the right decision, rather than give us stuff and then take it away once it gets out of hand

Id rather see them start slow and allow change over time and get something taken away, just my opinion.

Its also funny how people interpert this even though we have know about the possible change in restrictions since it was launched.

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/1075637-Blizz-lies-and-it-s-ok

To paraphrase Mark Twain "The more I learn about people the more i like my cat."

Then again, there is nothing more horrid than dual wielding 2 different types of weapon (a dagger and a mace for example).

I would be really happy if i could, per say, xmog both weapons into Zul'Gurub's pair of awesome green daggers. Or at least loose the restrictiion to allow:
1H maces <> 1H axes <> 1h swords <> fists <> daggers (regardless of main-hand off-hand)

Staves <> Spears

2H Axes <> 2H Swords <> 2H Maces <> Spears (this would solve people asking for STR spears too. if they like the animation let them have it. personally, imagine a warrior dual wielding spears *-*)

Part of the problem with polearms is that there's not a 1h animation for polearms (other than just carrying it around in one hand). They'd have to make animations for every race for dual wielding polearms for fury warriors.

That falls under "You must be able to equip it" and you can't equip a polearm/staff in one hand so....
Edited by Jertzul on 2/2/2012 12:48 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Druid
What annoys me is that I can't transmog so many maces for my warrior for example because her (or a few others chars like my paladin) weapon is 'Main Hand' and the mace I wanted is 'One Handed'. To me that restriction makes no sense at all.
Edited by Lupira on 2/2/2012 12:48 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Undead Hunter
yeah most hunters hate guns

click pow click pow x20000 times in a raid gets real old real fast
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Shaman
02/02/2012 12:44 PMPosted by Daxxarri
We've moved away from making really "wacky" decisions about item stat assignment to make weapon selection more intuitive. These aren't rules that are written in stone, of course, just general guidelines we've been following to make it more clear which classes a particular type of item is likely to be good for.

Can we please move away from that model?

I'm not sure it actually adds to intuitiveness at all. You've already done a great deal of work to make it clear that each spec has a particular main stat to focus on. I'm not convinced weapon type actually matters in that regard.

Strength polearms are fun and different, as are intellect maces and soforth. Eye of Purification was an awesomely neat item to see come about in Firelands, for instance.

Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]