Update on Retribution Paladin Bug

(Locked)

Community Manager
The bug where paladin Seals could sometimes cause excessive damage has been fixed. This bug came as a result of a hotfix we put in to fix an issue where some attacks, such as Scatter Shot, were still causing Vengeance in PvP situations. While these things may seem totally unrelated, it has to do with our proc system, which is an extremely complicated mechanic under the hood. We reverted that hotfix, meaning you may sometimes see Vengeance in PvP. But we don’t think that will present a major balance concern at this time.

To be clear, we have no current plans to take action against players who experienced this bug last night unless we come across any extreme cases. The error was ours and we haven’t seen any evidence -- so far -- of players excessively exploiting the bug. We reserve the right to take action if we do find evidence of players crossing the line to repeatedly exploit this bug for major in-game advantages.
85 Human Rogue
Yay
90 Human Mage
I wondered what happened, last night I ran into an 81 Ret Paladin doing 35k dps in non-heroic Cataclysm dungeons.

Edit: I can't spell
Edited by Markdman on 2/2/2012 12:23 PM PST
90 Blood Elf Paladin
sounds reasonable.
85 Blood Elf Paladin
Thank you for the explanation.
90 Human Death Knight
There have been many accounts of players exploiting the bug by self-report. From what I've personally seen, it included both endgame play; PvE boss kills and PvP arena rating. Both cases should be fixed by Blizzard to ensure level fields of play. Thanks.

Edit: I don't believe "excessive" abuse should be the line drawn in this case, as clearly players were given awards in both areas of the game that matter. Protect the integrity of the game people, remove awards unfairly given from a bug.

Edit2: I don't think punishing players would be necessary. I just think Blizzard should go through the logs and remove personal and guild achievements and gear that was awarded on account of clearly broken game mechanics for that time period.
Edited by Lucius on 2/2/2012 12:26 PM PST
90 Dwarf Hunter
Phew. Good thing all the rollback talk was nothing but gossip.
85 Human Paladin
They admitted fault to it stop blaming the player, blame the game.
90 Dwarf Paladin
Thank god I didn't play last night. Could've got banned!
85 Blood Elf Paladin
Thank you for the announcement.
85 Draenei Shaman
02/02/2012 12:19 PMPosted by Lucius
There have been many accounts of players exploiting the bug by self-report. From what I've personally seen, it included both endgame play; PvE boss kills and PvP arena rating. Both cases should be fixed by Blizzard to ensure level fields of play. Thanks.

Just take a look at any World of Logs ranking - ret pallies have destroyed what used to be a "fair" ranking of classes' DPS.
90 Worgen Hunter
Someone's gotta get banned over this, there were plenty of abusers out there.
90 Human Mage
Last night <Modest> on Kilrogg also took realm first Heroic Deathwing kill. I wonder if they were a paladin-heavy group. Grats to them either way.
85 Orc Death Knight
What of the players that used this to progress there guilds into further HM content? Or ones that used this to boost their arena rating?
Edited by Fodasim on 2/2/2012 12:24 PM PST
90 Draenei Paladin
It really is quite hilarious how much hate was flying at Paladins for this, and this bug was completely beyond the players control in any way.

Thanks for the update I suppose.
Edited by Cadenbrie on 2/2/2012 12:24 PM PST
90 Human Paladin
Hey PvPers, you gonna stop complaining about prot paladins DPS with vengeance now?
80 Blood Elf Paladin
Sounds like a major exploit to me, why aren't they getting 10 day bans too? Also what ever happened to that kid that used a Martin's Fury to clear Ulduar when he knew it was exploiting.
90 Draenei Paladin
hooray.

This is good news.
90 Dwarf Warrior
Good.

I do love when a diplomatic approach can be taken in addressing situations like this.
85 Blood Elf Paladin

Edit: I don't believe "excessive" abuse should be the line drawn in this case, as clearly players were given awards in both areas of the game that matter. Protect the integrity of the game people, remove awards unfairly given from a bug.

Problem is the "bug" was caused by a normal part of Ret's buff/rotation. If it was a bug caused by a Ret using say Seal of Light I would agree with you.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]