"Replica" PvP Gear Confusion

85 Dwarf Paladin
Okay, so one of the unofficially documented changes in this recent patch was the renaming of the classic pvp sets to have a "Replica" prefix.

Since it wasn't really announced (At least in any way I recall) I assumed this was some way for players to gain access to the gear whilst preserving the prestige of classic pvpers by giving them the versions of gear without "Replica" in the name.

However, when checking Area 52 and trying to pick up the gear, it quickly became apparent that this wasn't the case, they're all locked!

Which completely baffles me, is this stuff still only for the classic pvpers? But they obtain the gear by a FoS, why then give it the "replica" prefix when they've long since proven their right to wear the original sets?

I checked the level 60 pvp gear you buy with honor and you still can't transmog those, so I'm at a complete loss as to what purpose this serves, can anybody fill me in?
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
The addition of the "replica" tag did nothing to change who can and can't use the items for transmog, it just helped separate them from the actual level 60 pvp gear you buy with honor.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
I'd imagine it's to clear up confusion for people who haven't been following it as closely. Anyone can wear the original sets, so they keep the stats on those, but only old-school PVPers can transmogrify them. Since stats don't matter for transmogrification, they took the stats off of the transmog-only pieces and renamed them "Replica" so people who /inspect the player using those models won't be confused as to why they can't do so as well.

TL,DR:
Restrictions still in place
Stats-less, transmog-only version only usable by old-school PVPers
Original pieces usable by anyone
Able to tell the difference now
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Priest
My best guess is that a blizzard employee has the achievement and wanted to be special, so this set, and only this set of pvp gear was made prestigious, and subsequently restricted.

It sucks, it really does; but on the bright-side gold is a really gaudy color anyway.
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Paladin
01/31/2012 01:56 PMPosted by Borck
The addition of the "replica" tag did nothing to change who can and can't use the items for transmog, it just helped separate them from the actual level 60 pvp gear you buy with honor.

But that doesn't quite make sense, why must they be differently named if you can only transmog them via a FoS regardless, or is there some technical reason I'm not seeing for them having different names?

Which doesn't really make sense either, I'm fairly certain the ones you buy with honour are blues whereas the ones in Area 52 are epics, and they're probably named differently by virtue of their associative rank so they're clearly different gear.

EDIT: Okay, so I've compared the two gear piles and they're identical in naming, So I wager that the honor sets are non-transmoggable regardless of having the FoS or not, and the Replica sets -are- but they're locked at the vendors except to people with the FoS.
Edited by Diatenium on 1/31/2012 2:14 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Priest
01/31/2012 02:02 PMPosted by Diatenium

But that doesn't quite make sense, why must they be differently named if you can only transmog them via a FoS regardless, or is there some technical reason I'm not seeing for them having different names?

Which doesn't really make sense either, I'm fairly certain the ones you buy with honour are blues whereas the ones in Area 52 are epics, and they're probably named differently by virtue of their associative rank so they're clearly different gear.

Unless I'm mistaken I don't think you can buy the replicas without the fos.
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Paladin
How much more development time can they WASTE on something that the overwhelming majority of current players oppose?

Allow us to transmog this gear. I'm not going to collect new version of this stuff, it's in the bank ready to use right now.

End of story.

Anything else is developer idiocy. "Replica of..."

Um, yeah. Who cares?

Meanwhile, cobalt shoulders are still brown instead of blue last time I checked. An actual bug that goes unfixed. I guess some developer is a special snowflake from vanilla that simply MUST retain his special snowflake gear so that he alone can transmog it. Nice priorities...

Completely non-constructive, moving on.

Unless I'm mistaken I don't think you can buy the replicas without the fos.

Nope, in the OP I said I tried buying the replicas, you cannot.

EDIT: WHOOPS, I missed the double-negative there, in that case you're right, silly me!
Edited by Diatenium on 1/31/2012 2:17 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
I got mine in the bank too whenever they wise up an unlock it. Sorry I had a job an kids to support and didn't have all day long of doing nothing but play a video game. :)
Reply Quote
How much more development time can they WASTE on something that the overwhelming majority of current players oppose?

Nope. Try again.
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Paladin
Non-constructive?

As opposed to spending more development time on this transmog restriction and hemming in each little piece of this idiocy even further?

I'm not paid for my non-constuctive opinions, fair enough. But the developer is ACTUALLY paid for his non-constuctive special snowflake development nonsense and should actually be shown the door.

And meanwhile actual game bugs go begging for attention.

Maybe you need to rethink what constructive development would actually look like instead of what we're getting now.

I shouldn't even justify this much dumb with a response but I figure I have the duty to try in at least one post.

So I'll start with a rhetorical question, what is even the point of remarks against blizzard? You're just flinging insults over vague, barely defined issues of which you're making no effort to identify or, by extension, report.

We can debate the merit of keeping this gear exclusive to those who earned it, but you seem rather intent to just call blizzard idiots. Not only does this immediately scream to the reader that you have no intent to have a civil conversation and therefor immediately undermine any weight your opinion might have but you also don't elaborate the reasoning behind this claim, so you're also wasting the readers time on top of looking like a tosser.

You just give the vague impression that it's because a certain small niche of players is given special treatment, which is worth debating but again you trivialize your position by being rude instead of intelligently and respectfully presenting it, and before you say you don't care about that I'd like to point out that nobody's going to treat you seriously if you don't.

Anyways, I believe the first reply to this post identifies the basic reason for this change, so this thread no longer serves any purpose.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]