Just watched Fight Club - this movie sucks

90 Human Warlock
So after seeing dragon tattoo and hating it; I gave fight club a shot; since apparently it's david fincher's best movie.

I see a lot of people saying it's one of their favorite movies but I found it to be painfully bad. It's a negative "guy" film where random people beat each other up; with a lot of nihilism and anarchist pseudo-philosophy. Most of the movie is unbearably bad.

Why do people like it so much ? Brad pitt's acting is sort of nice; edward norton and bonham carter are awful. There's some cinematographic/directorial stylishness but the movie itself is unbearable most of the time.

Also:
Rotten tomatoes Top Critics: 63%
All critics: 81%.

What am I missing here ?
Reply Quote
89 Human Death Knight
For some odd reason, its cool to say something is cool even tho it isn't. Has something to do with popularity and kids.
Reply Quote
85 Troll Hunter
we all have our own opinions i suppose.
Reply Quote
It's a negative "guy" film where random people beat each other up; with a lot of nihilism and anarchist pseudo-philosophy.

thats a pretty good description actually. I dont think its that bad though.
Reply Quote
86 Undead Death Knight
I liked the book and the movie was good.
Reply Quote
The rules of the Forums

Rule 1: You do not talk about fight club
Rule 2: You DO NOT talk about fight club.
Reply Quote
100 Human Death Knight
Bad opinion is bad. Please never become a movie critic.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
My gripe with the movie is that the first 30-40 minutes are completely dull, meaningless and boring.
The movie is, to be fair, really good in the last 30-40 minutes.

The problem is it constantly tries to send out bizarre messages, and jumbled up philosophies. For most of the film you just see guys beating each other up senseless.

There's tons and tons of dialogue with edward norton; the narrator; spewing crap incessantly, constantly trying to be edgy/cool and making really weird assumptions about the world.

The whole insomnia/support group crap at the start makes no sense; the helena bonham carter sub-plot isn't really necessary either. The sub-plot with a guy with overdeveloped mammaries ? chopping everyone's genitalia off ? peeing in soup ? shooting people's heads off ? why is watching this crap fun ?

The film basically glorifies anarchist behavior over and over again; with excessive unnecessary violence. The movie itself is the very definition of pretentious. If you want to know what pretentious means, watch this movie. It's trying way too hard in almost every other scene to push the dark and edgy theme bursting with angst.

Fight club is the squall of a whiny and essentially white-male generation that feels ruined by the privileges of women and a booming economy. That's what this film is really about. Fear of castration is a running theme throughout; so is stigmata imagery, for that holy, martyred effect. It's all about being an alpha male in a bizarre twisted way - macho pseudo-eroticism if you like.

It's an empty shout of "to hell with it all".The ending is a cop-out. It's an extremely dense and dark movie which in the end turns out to all be nonsense.

Freeing yourself from the "shackles of modern life" = beating each other to pulp and blowing stuff up ??? lololololol
typical fascist/nihilistic/anarchist nonsense.

Most people watched this movies as angsty, edgy, trying to be cool, hipster teenages; I ask you to watch this movie again and see how awful it is.
Edited by Neeshka on 2/3/2012 3:28 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
02/03/2012 03:11 PMPosted by Mantaur

Roger Ebert hated the movie. In fact, top critics on Rotten tomatoes gave it a 61%.
What now ?
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Death Knight
02/03/2012 03:11 PMPosted by Mantaur
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
02/03/2012 03:28 PMPosted by Neeshka

Roger Ebert hated the movie. In fact, top critics on Rotten tomatoes gave it a 61%.
What now ?

What now? Now despite the fact that you do like Source Code I highly question your taste in movies in general.

BTW if you're going to pull the rotten tomatoes card... GWtDT, another movie you just didn't get is at 87% on rotten tomatoes.

Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
02/03/2012 05:52 PMPosted by Fangthane
GWtDT, another movie you just didn't get is at 87% on rotten tomatoes.

top critics gave it a 79% which is nothing spectacular.
Every other movie I've listed has gotten extremely high ratings on RT. I see a lot of people abhor source code, why exactly ?
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
We just disagree about those movies.

eh. screw the top critics I've seen both movies and I've made up my own minds about em.

Source Code is more interesting if you like to watch those recent "Nature of the universe" documentaries that deal with the "schroedinger's kitten" ideas.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
I could care less about some jaw-less fat man's opinions. Fight Club is one of my favorite movies. I enjoyed watching it, mainly because the twist blew my mind the first time. I didn't see it coming until Tyler Durden revealed his true identity.
Reply Quote
28 Blood Elf Paladin
Don't worry, not everyone can get it.

It's like Clockwork Orange and Space Odyssey.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
02/04/2012 07:55 AMPosted by Licawr
Don't worry, not everyone can get it.

There's nothing to "get" even in the movies you mentioned. Even if a movie has the slightest bit of complexity; there's tons of information and analysis about them online so it really doesn't matter.
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Warrior
High or low RT ratings refer to the percentage of critics that liked something, not how well they liked it. It's entirely possible for something to be polarizing and only get a 50%, yet the half of the people that enjoy it absolutely love it.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
02/04/2012 03:33 PMPosted by Kaiju
entirely possible for something to be polarizing

if something is that polarized it means there are at least some major flaws; or it's something that will appeal to only a certain demographic.

Getting just 1 or 2 bad reviews doesn't really mean anything but on an aggregate review site like RT scores lower than 80-85% generally mean the film has issues.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Hunter
I always thought Fincher's best movie was 'Zodiac'.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]