Glyph Inscription Leveling

85 Worgen Hunter
Bizzard,

You guys need to increase the drop rate of the Glyph Mastery books. I can sped hours farming Northend for cloth and I will not see one book drop at all!!
Reply Quote
Community Manager
The Book of Glyph Mastery is actually a topic we’ve been discussing in our meetings. I can’t make any promises just yet but can at least acknowledge that we’re tossing around ideas for the book and for researching new Inscription glyphs.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Priest
The Book of Glyph Mastery is actually a topic we’ve been discussing in our meetings. I can’t make any promises just yet but can at least acknowledge that we’re tossing around ideas for the book and for researching new Inscription glyphs.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/2522165843

A subject apparently so complicated that it's still being discussed 8 months later. Even though the solution was clearly offered to us:

We will be changing the discovery spells so they can teach all possible glyphs, and the books will simply provide a no-cooldown method to do the same thing.

That looked like a promise. So what gives?
Edited by Meioh on 2/1/2012 1:42 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin

A subject apparently so complicated that it's still being discussed 8 months later. Even though the solution was clearly offered to us:

We will be changing the discovery spells so they can teach all possible glyphs, and the books will simply provide a no-cooldown method to do the same thing.

Agree about the length of time this has been a huge issue for anyone trying to level a scribe, worse now that few folks spend time in Northrend. Inscription has been a huge pain for forever, and I can only guess that Blizz has been ok with that for long time.

I was wondering if they'd finally address it in MoP, but I don't have much faith that whatever they do will be an improvement. MoP looks like it should substantially change existing glyphs... who knows what that will mean for those of us who managed to level a 525 scribe and learned all the glyphs.

I rerolled alliance with a friend of mine and when asked if I'd do the scribe on the new server, I very vocally said no way. I'd rather spend thousands of gold glyphing my toons than doing inscribing again (it is so broken).
Reply Quote
85 Human Warlock
02/01/2012 01:41 PMPosted by Meioh

probably because the decision to give glyphs the axe in MoP has already been made. the proof is already in the pudding. i once read in an interview somewhere that development is not happy with the direction glyphs have taken. the lack of any action towards them leads me to believe that we wont be seeing them in pandaria.
Edited by Akvon on 2/1/2012 2:19 PM PST
Reply Quote

Thank the gods. The old ones even.
Reply Quote
90 Human Hunter

Could we please get some explanation about what you guys find so important about the bloody Glyph books?

Because I'm at a loss why you're so glacially reluctant to change them. Not meant to sound hostile, I'm just frustrated by all the (seemingly ludicrous) waffling on this topic.
Reply Quote
1 Gnome Warrior

It has been in discussion for a very long time. Is it difficult to just add the books to the cata zones and/or dungeons until a more permanent solution is found for the long term?

Personally I bought all mine so the longer you take the better for me. It just seems like its taking longer than it should.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
I think your system for jewelcrafting is the best recipe system thus far. I wish every profession had a daily that bestowed tokens.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Shaman

Whatever happened to the promise you guys made a few months ago of moving the Book of Glyph Mastery glyphs into a new research/Northrend Inscription Research?

I've been waiting for this.

I feel gipped. -.-
Reply Quote
14 Gnome Mage
Not only was the solution promised 8 months ago, but the problem was both obvious on its face and well-described long before Cataclysm even launched. It never should have gone live in this format. There was no reason not to simply allow Cataclysm NPCs to drop the book or to update the system with Cataclysm.

This is an abysmal design failure, stretching back well over a year now.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
02/01/2012 03:14 PMPosted by Elarain
I think your system for jewelcrafting is the best recipe system thus far. I wish every profession had a daily that bestowed tokens.

Totally agree on this. When I'm on my JC, it is night and day more pleasant that inscripting/leatherworking/blacksmithing/etc. And that's not including the gold that jc makes.... just the access to learn what is relevant to what you want.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
I think, at the very least, a 3rd daily cooldown should be added on top of minor and Northrend inscription research. Perhaps when MoP comes out you can add Pandaria Inscription Research.

Also, a chance to proc a discovery, the way that alchemists can occasionally would smooth the process (maybe 1% chance every time a glyph is made?)
Edited by Manabar on 2/1/2012 4:18 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Death Knight
I feel that glyph discovery should work similar to alchemy: you have a random chance to discover a new glyph just by performing your trade.

No resources like books to farm, no dailies to grind. And it encourages you not to just sit on your butt at 525 but actively try to create glyphs: for sale, for alts, for guidies, etc.

Additionally, I'd like to see inscription get an ink overhaul. The pigment->ink conversion is stupid, since the only time you have to choose between two different inks is the very beginning. Remove that and just have inks extract directly from milling. That increases the chance that inks can become commodities and more often put on the AH.

And definitely redo the glyph ink requirements to be level appropriate. It is so not cool to have a level 25 glyph require Ink of the Sea because the ability was added in Wrath. If I'm leveling inscription at the same time I'm leveling a character, I should be able to make my own level-appropriate glyphs. Vanilla inks for abilities you get before 60, BC inks for abilities between 60-70, Wrath inks for abilities 70-80 and Cata inks for 80-85.

Additionally, inks should pick up an inspiration from Enchanting and allow all high level inks to function as lower level inks. This eliminates the need to run to the ink trader every time you make a glyph.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Priest
Nothing wrong with the books being rare/expensive, scribes make hundreds of thousands of gold from selling glyphs. Its not like its a poor investment.
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Warlock
02/01/2012 04:55 PMPosted by Shaddolf
Nothing wrong with the books being rare/expensive, scribes make hundreds of thousands of gold from selling glyphs. Its not like its a poor investment.

This exactly. Having or not have the glyph books have no bearing on being able to level inscription. They are not needed at all nor do they make it more difficult to level without them.

The benefit to them however, is that the glyphs learned are usually the most expensive to sell and bring the highest profit margin. They should remain as they are and provide a reward to the scribes willing to farm/purchase the books.

One person has already mentioned the dailies giving out tokens for professions. If you compare needing 3-5 days worth of dailies to learn one jewelcrafting token then you can actually learn the glyphs faster by farming the treasure chests which yield more than one book every 3-5 days.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
Link it with Archeology and have random discoveries.

It should tie into every profession /w research you have, rather than just something you log into once a day and run the research item.

Drop the book plans as techniques (e.g. Technique: Glyph of Colossus Smash) when discovered, that way players can sell them via the AH. Scribes can buy the ones they really want or need.

That way it'd offer some useful items similar to the TOR Diplomacy/Scavenging type errand crew skills.
Edited by Opheron on 2/1/2012 7:01 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warrior
02/01/2012 04:55 PMPosted by Shaddolf

They kind of have to, to make a profit when all of the books alone will set them back 100k.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Mage

[quote]We will be changing the discovery spells so they can teach all possible glyphs, and the books will simply provide a no-cooldown method to do the same thing.

well said

to be honest, i felt being cheated

i was told a solution is in the works - now i'm told ideas are still being tossed around?
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Warlock
02/01/2012 06:55 PMPosted by Estrid
They kind of have to, to make a profit when all of the books alone will set them back 100k.

100k? Try 20k at the most, and they'll be set from now until the glyphs are removed (which seems to be MoP right now).
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]