I miss Arthas...

90 Human Death Knight
Am i the only one who think Arthas was the best character from this game, with the most awesome lore and epic personality? . . . It would be a dream coming true if he came back to lead his Death Knights... Not as the Lichking... But as a Death Knight, ( W3-like )... I mean... Mograine sucks... Well... I'll forever miss WotLK... It'll always rest inside my heart.

PS: Deathwing is the worst "villain" so far.
Edited by Vörhan on 2/1/2012 8:46 PM PST
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Death Knight
Arthas has more potential than any other villain in the series, but he was terribly botched, from presentation to his death. He had more well established history and origins than any other villain we've faced thus far, yet instead of charging a head, we just kept hammering on things we were all VERY aware of before hand, and getting small, annoying Dr. Claw cameos.

Looking more into the origins of the Lich King, of Ner'zhul as the disembodied "God" of death, the initial formation and founding of the Scourge, the fall of the Nerubians... THAT would have been more interesting. Lightening up on Arthas' "I'll get you next time!!!" Styled appearances, and instead just having him single handedly OBLITERATING things would have been better. Giving the concept an actual ending rather than kicking it down the road by having Bolvar pull a Tal Rasha would have been better.

But you're right - he's still in a different league than Deathwing, who'll never mean anything more than yet another big angry dragon.
Reply Quote
Well, Deathwing once meant something more, but was forced into a rather inadequate role because they needed someone familiar to be the big bad of this expansion.
Reply Quote
91 Orc Warrior
Yea, I agree, I cant put my finger on what or why but wotlk just felt more complete for some reason. It could simply be that I have never transitioned xpacs before (joined around the time wotlk launched) but I dont know
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Hunter
I hated arthas soon as he killed uther but i still liked his lore
Edited by Archerz on 2/2/2012 11:56 AM PST
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Mage
Arthas was epic and the storyline and lore leading up to WotLK was epic. I do miss Wrath.
I just hope that MoP is just as good in the story telling.
Reply Quote
81 Night Elf Death Knight
To me, Arthas died as soon as they switched voice actors to make him sound all angry.

I miss cocky Arthas from WCIII.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Priest
i dont miss him i stole his body from ice crown and i keep it under my bed. ;3
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Rogue
To me, Arthas died as soon as they switched voice actors to make him sound all angry.

Cocky, gothic, badass, ruthless Arthas that steamrolled so many powerful characters.

And then in Wrath he kills nothing but an Orcish Warrior who was only really badass because his last name was Saurfang. I honestly felt Kel'thuzad was handled much better than Arthas even though he lasted for just one patch.

That said, I'm feeling like a parrot right now.
Edited by Donahue on 2/2/2012 10:01 AM PST
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Hunter
I recently was discussing this with a friend. The story arc of Arthas's rise and his terrible hubris-ridden fall was far and away the best story Blizzard ever wrote. And once it ended, even had cataclysm not sucked in terms of completion and pop culture oversaturation... I don't think they honestly could have matched the sheer impact of Wrath.

I started considering it, and really, we've never had any character to equal Arthas. The shining golden paladin prince whom you help through the RTS, are forced to make horrible, terrible choices no one should ever have to make.. his madness, his trauma, his damnation. In Wrath, we went over all of that in loving, painful detail.. and I don't think it was an Alliance or Horde anything. I think it was a RTS and Warcraft 3 expac if anything, tailored to those of us who felt the sheer emotional wrench at the narrative we all experienced through the RTS games.

Arthas really was the best character they ever wrote.

The emotions I feel if I listen to 'Arthas, My Son" or "Invincible" say it all, really. Though I might complain at presentation in WoW, doing the Culling, or speaking with the lost spirits of the shore... dude, that was gutpunch time for anyone who loved the RTS and could point and go 'omg. I know this!'
Edited by Aktarin on 2/2/2012 10:04 AM PST
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Hunter
This makes me wonder...Where did his soul go? Does Azeroth have a 'hell'? Did he go there? Or did he just fade away to nothing....

Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Warrior
Cocky Arthas got too cocky and wanted more money.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Priest

Yes, Justin's voice was superb, it fit Arthas so well. I don't like the new Arthas voice.

I miss him too, for many of the same reasons already put forth here. His story still moves me and if we suddenly went back in time to the start of Wrath, I'd be super happy. Although, I do agree that they botched him horribly in the xpac. He should have been that ruthless, arrogant SOB that murdered his father and ripped his kingdom apart. That's the Arthas I want back.

02/02/2012 11:01 AMPosted by Tharvon
This makes me wonder...Where did his soul go? Does Azeroth have a 'hell'? Did he go there? Or did he just fade away to nothing....

According to Sylvanas' short story, his soul is being tormented in a "hell". IIRC, she saw him as a child, lost, scared, etc.

/weep
Edited by Leylah on 2/2/2012 11:43 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Death Knight
According to Sylvanas' short story, his soul is being tormented in a "hell". IIRC, she saw him as a child, lost, scared, etc.

/weep

I hated that the small bit of humanity within him was the only bit punished. No old orc or even whatever the entity the Lich King was.

Just the boy who went one step too far to try and save his people.

But he did kill me, so screw him.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Priest
"But he did kill me, so screw him."

LOL, Fayn.

You're right. That's the part of Arthas that should have gone on to a better place, not suffer eternal torment.

Arthas discussions always depress me :(
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Shaman
I don't think they should bring him back, though some sort of flashbacks or references to him should we ever go back to Northrend would be fine.
Reply Quote
31 Undead Rogue
I really enjoyed Arthas in Warcraft III. A very reasonable, interesting story, which made my jaw drop when he met up with Illidan. When the Burning Legion crossed the Lich King it made me go "Oh... how is this going to go down?"

Interesting story.

Wrath of the Lich King? I loved crushing the Scarlet Crusade... then Light's Hope Chapel happened and made me go "Wtf is this !@#$?". YES! YES! LICH KING! YES!

YES! He just roflstomped Mograin! Yes! Wait.. no..nononono. NOOOOOO!!! Wtf is this? "APOCALYPSE!!!"? Seriously? No! "ARTHAS!!!" NOOOOOO!!!! Lich King just got one shotted? What? Wait, what? Why? No! I refuse this! What? I'm betraying him? No! Why? No!

It was downhill for the character ever since.
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Rogue
02/02/2012 11:57 AMPosted by Fayn
But he did kill me, so screw him.

Well screw you too, buddy.

Nah I'm j/k...
Reply Quote
95 Blood Elf Death Knight

Wrath of the Lich King? I loved crushing the Scarlet Crusade... then Light's Hope Chapel happened and made me go "Wtf is this !@#$?". YES! YES! LICH KING! YES!

YES! He just roflstomped Mograin! Yes! Wait.. no..nononono. NOOOOOO!!! Wtf is this? "APOCALYPSE!!!"? Seriously? No! "ARTHAS!!!" NOOOOOO!!!! Lich King just got one shotted? What? Wait, what? Why? No! I refuse this! What? I'm betraying him? No! Why? No!

This was exactly my reaction.

I can't believe I betrayed him, because of Darion Mograines, daddy issues. >_<

Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Hunter

/weep

Must...not...feel....sorry...for...

Oh I can't help it.

That's so sad, they made the child aspect of him suffer for his crimes.

Makes me wonder though, if the corrupted adult aspect of his spirit, if we might see that again sometime.

It would be interesting.

Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]