Shared Achievements?

85 Draenei Shaman
With Mists of Pandaria, account-wide achievements will indeed become available at the Battle.net account level, and many achievements will be shared among characters. A wide array of achievements will certainly be covered, including achievements that relate to everything from raiding and PvP to maxing out professions and assorted fun challenges. We really love the idea that players will at last be able to proudly display proof of the full scope of their adventures around Azeroth, regardless of which character they choose to play on any given day.

While we are still working out the details regarding how various specific achievements will interact with the new system, once we have a bit more information to share with you, we’ll certainly let you know.

Thank you so much!!
Reply Quote
43 Dwarf Shaman
02/08/2012 05:37 PMPosted by Vaeflare
We think it would be wonderful to simplify the system so that, for example, you might have a constant heirloom page across all your characters that you could peruse and select from at your leisure. Conceivably, we could do something similar for pets and mounts.

Doing this for mounts and pets would be extremely awesome. Holidays become a real grind-fest (more than they should be) if you have to have each character earn the same mounts and pets over and over. You end up having to choose which character will go for what, and the work you did between various characters isn't rewarded to you, but only to the character.

I certainly hope Blizz is working on this for Pets and Mounts as well.

Edit: I hope this does NOT involve Void Storage as a means to transfer items. That can be prohibitively expensive for newer players or for those who have a lot of alts. At the very least, you could end up replacing the need to mail items to your alts, with the need to mail money to your alts just so they can afford Void Storage.

If you can make this idea happen, Blizz, please don't do so in a way that becomes restrictive for low-level characters, as you have tended to do with other things.

Signed, an altoholic (as you can see from this character's level).
Edited by Kelfagh on 2/11/2012 11:50 AM PST
Reply Quote
43 Dwarf Shaman

Doing this for mounts and pets would be extremely awesome. Holidays become a real grind-fest (more than they should be) if you have to have each character earn the same mounts and pets over and over. You end up having to choose which character will go for what, and the work you did between various characters isn't rewarded to you, but only to the character.

I certainly hope Blizz is working on this for Pets and Mounts as well.

I think they already announced BOA pets pursuant to the new pet battle feature.

Now we just need all achievements, FOS, mounts, reputations and tabards to be BOA, and I can finally retire my main... wait, did he say all achievements?

Saying they plan to do it (with pets) isn't the same as actually doing it... With Blizz-- like with the company I work for ;) -- I've learned that it doesn't happen until it happens.

I'm simply adding my voice to those who're encouraging Blizz to actually DO IT. And not only with pets :D

Edited by Kelfagh on 2/11/2012 12:02 PM PST
Reply Quote
Posted by Vaeflare
We think it would be wonderful to simplify the system so that, for example, you might have a constant heirloom page across all your characters that you could peruse and select from at your leisure. Conceivably, we could do something similar for pets and mounts.

YES! I hope that happens. I also like the Idea of "last names," or something like it, on characters account wide so people know of you regardless of what toon you're on. I've never played it but I believe they have something like this implemented in SWTOR.
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Priest
Here I'm posting my support for full Account wide Pets/Mounts and Achievements (with their associated titles). Every pet, mount and achievement please.

This is literally pretty make or break for me in MoP.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid
With Mists of Pandaria, account-wide achievements will indeed become available at the Battle.net account level, and many achievements will be shared among characters. A wide array of achievements will certainly be covered, including achievements that relate to everything from raiding and PvP to maxing out professions and assorted fun challenges. We really love the idea that players will at last be able to proudly display proof of the full scope of their adventures around Azeroth, regardless of which character they choose to play on any given day.

While we are still working out the details regarding how various specific achievements will interact with the new system, once we have a bit more information to share with you, we’ll certainly let you know.

Why?

Why couldn't a system of meta-achievements just be instituted at the account level, like "Get one of each class to level 85" or "Max out all professions", etc instead of making all achievements account wide?

Will we still be able to differentiate between which character gained which achievement? I don't do them to have them, I do them to have them with a specific character - I'd like to be able to know what I've done with my main, and what I have yet to do. Some achievements are much easier to get at lower levels and vice versa.

And I imagine lots of raid leaders would love to be able to easily tell if someone actually has experience with certain raids, instead of a dps gaining said achievement and deciding because of this, it qualifies them to heal or tank the raid.

I don't understand why this is a good thing. Achievements are there to measure what you've done WITH the character. They're not a reflection of the player, they're a reflection of the player's ability with specific "tools" in specific situations. Just because you can drive a car doesn't mean you can drive in the Indy 500. Playing football with your friends doesn't qualify you to play in the NFL.
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Priest

Why?

Why couldn't a system of meta-achievements just be instituted at the account level, like "Get one of each class to level 85" or "Max out all professions", etc instead of making all achievements account wide?

Will we still be able to differentiate between which character gained which achievement? I don't do them to have them, I do them to have them with a specific character - I'd like to be able to know what I've done with my main, and what I have yet to do. Some achievements are much easier to get at lower levels and vice versa.

And I imagine lots of raid leaders would love to be able to easily tell if someone actually has experience with certain raids, instead of a dps gaining said achievement and deciding because of this, it qualifies them to heal or tank the raid.

I don't understand why this is a good thing. Achievements are there to measure what you've done WITH the character. They're not a reflection of the player, they're a reflection of the player's ability with specific "tools" in specific situations. Just because you can drive a car doesn't mean you can drive in the Indy 500. Playing football with your friends doesn't qualify you to play in the NFL.

You appear to be in the minority here. I, and it seems, most other people don't care about which "character" has the achievements. I, the human being playing the character, have earned my achievements, not my character. People don't want to be locked down to 1 main anymore, and for those of us like me who have a lot of achievements, feel that way.
Reply Quote
You appear to be in the minority here. I, and it seems, most other people don't care about which "character" has the achievements. I, the human being playing the character, have earned my achievements, not my character. People don't want to be locked down to 1 main anymore, and for those of us like me who have a lot of achievements, feel that way.

/agree
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid

Why?

Ok, good for you. I have a lot of achievements too. I'm posting my opinion. It's what a discussion forum is for.
Reply Quote
100 Human Death Knight
For me it has more to do with the pets and mounts than just achievements, although they are part of it.

If I wanted to make my hunter my main.. He doesn't have the Swift Zulian Tiger. He doesn't have the mounts, tabards, pets or titles that I (the player) achieved.

What about the lucky few with Scarab Lord? It was the player that sat at the computer and worked his butt off for everything needed (most likely with a lot of help from his guild) to get that.

To make my point.. How many players do you know with alts that have Scarab Lord? I am betting it is very few. Those guys are the ones who have been forced to play the same main since vanilla.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin

Its very important that we don't need to publish our real names on the internet outside of contexts that we specifically would like clients and others might see.

People choose professional representation on all sorts of subjective and illfounded reasons. They expect a lawyer or a doctor to have certain hobbies or , better put, in making cusp decisions between two equally qualified professionals , who geta a large contract is often swayed by small intangibles.

As communication with a professional is actually a pertinent input into final sucess, picking a person to represent you who your share things with is important. The problem is that those sorts of decisions are made on tiny slivers of impressions and if, because of interenet search, one aspect of a personality becomes apparent easily, while other advocations are not, well it might give an undo weighting to one activity in their minds. (and also, others with other hobby's like hunting which attract some and repel others, can keep their intererest private except with those that they think it might create an affinity with).

There are also large safety concerns with internet stalking moving to real life stalking etc.

Long and short.... battlnet accounts need to allow an outword facing indification that is not a person's real name.
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Death Knight
In terms of Bind on Account items, we believe that using the mail system to transfer heirlooms from one character to another is less than ideal. We’d like to work ourselves away from that sort of item distribution model, and have some design goals in mind that would change the mechanics of how heirlooms are distributed in-game.

As always, these sorts of design ideas are constantly being evaluated. I just think it’s worth pointing out we’re not currently aiming to create a system that would allow players to mail heirlooms across realms or accounts. We believe that would be a sub-optimal design, and we have better solutions in mind for the future.

^^ I suggested this in a thread several months ago =) I really have no idea if the thread I started had anything to do with the idea, but, in any case, I'm really glad to see that blizzard is using this idea. In my thread, I suggested that BOAs, achieves, pets, mounts, etc. all be put in a frame that was something like a battle.net frame and be accessible on all characters. While this is only part of that idea I had, the making achieves account bound is another part, so I'm really happy with the changes being made. Keep it up guys!
Reply Quote
85 Troll Warrior
What I find disappointing is that ideas for a global access for BoA's have been floating around for years.

I know I made a post about it 2-3 years ago and suggested a custom bank tab. Blizz already kinda solved it with Void Storage, but didn't apply it to BoA's or multiple characters on an account.

There's a critical problem when good ideas are simply ignored or never seen and here we are YEARS later talking about the same problem, with the same excuses given.

Reply Quote
02/08/2012 05:37 PMPosted by Vaeflare

Love.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Shaman
I cant wait for this feature. I have often wanted to try other classes and the only thing holding me back is the time and effort I put into my current achievements. I couldn't stomach the thought of grinding all those reps up again. Getting all the pets and mounts again. Doing all the holiday achievements....again. Lets not get started on PVP.

This is one of the best things blizzard can do to keep interest in the game that is a small change on their end. I dont mind the leveling up process, but man those achievements are what sends me right back to my main.
Reply Quote
Make an "Account Bank" like a Guild Bank.
Reply Quote
100 Human Death Knight
02/12/2012 12:05 PMPosted by Sleveland

Love.

I wonder how faction specific achievements, mounts, pets and tabards will work with the possible tabs..

Will there be any cool new achievements, feats of strength or rewards for accounts that obtain both faction achievements (such as the achievements to defeat the faction bosses in the major cities)
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Shaman
While we’re still working out many of the details regarding account-wide achievement functionality, I want to clarify that we plan for the system to apply to all achievements -- not just those added in Mists of Pandaria. It’s intended to be an overall change to the current achievement system.

Our goal is to make it so that you feel like you only have to get an achievement once. We think the time and effort you put into achievements should be evident regardless of which character you’re playing. The update will be implemented at the Battle.net level and, as such, would apply to all of the attached World of Warcraft licenses on the account.

Thank god, because I'm so sick of trying to get "Going Down" on alts.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]