Shared Achievements?

90 Blood Elf Paladin
While we’re still working out many of the details regarding account-wide achievement functionality, I want to clarify that we plan for the system to apply to all achievements -- not just those added in Mists of Pandaria. It’s intended to be an overall change to the current achievement system.

Our goal is to make it so that you feel like you only have to get an achievement once. We think the time and effort you put into achievements should be evident regardless of which character you’re playing. The update will be implemented at the Battle.net level and, as such, would apply to all of the attached World of Warcraft licenses on the account.

So will we have to re-earn these achievements on the battle.net level? Do you actually plan to merge these achievements from all of our characters some how?
Edited by Akaru on 2/27/2012 7:08 PM PST
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Shaman

You appear to be in the minority here. I, and it seems, most other people don't care about which "character" has the achievements. I, the human being playing the character, have earned my achievements, not my character. People don't want to be locked down to 1 main anymore, and for those of us like me who have a lot of achievements, feel that way.

Ok, good for you. I have a lot of achievements too. I'm posting my opinion. It's what a discussion forum is for.

I'm in the minority with you. Account wide achievements take the RP out of MMORPG. I guess WoW will just become an MMOG. The idea of a role playing game is that you are your character, and what your character does and achieves is what matters.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Rogue
'm in the minority with you. Account wide achievements take the RP out of MMORPG. I guess WoW will just become an MMOG. The idea of a role playing game is that you are your character, and what your character does and achieves is what matters.

I agree with you concerning achievements; its what my character did and its a record of when. I like being able to see it independently based on the character. That said, I do like the idea of account wide pets/mounts, as some are so rare it seems unreasonable to try to get it on a new character and its a shame to lose your work if you decide you have a new main.
Reply Quote
76 Blood Elf Priest
ppl who got insane in the membrane with more that 1 toon just for the title

PREPARE

Imagine this... You did it once, twice... Maybe even a FORTH TIME

Get INSANE as you all lost your time, you could wait and now get it with every1 just by doing 1 time onlyINSAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANE

i'm happy
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
I'm firmly in the camp that it's the player that earns the achievement, not the character, and, having earned most of my achievements (and mounts and titles) on a character I no longer play, or enjoy playing (this Paladin right here), makes me sad when I log onto my new main and feel like I have to grind it all out again (and some of Achievements and mounts, especially feats of strength) are no longer available in-game.

Is there any more news on this subject? I can't seem to find whether or not Blizzard released any more information on account-wide achievements (and mounts, titles, etc.) during the press tour.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
Will rep's become net bound as well? I realise details are still not final but it would be nice considering some of them are the biggest grinds around.
Reply Quote
85 Human Rogue
Arena titles?
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Death Knight
I personally LOVE the idea of account wide pets mounts and achievements. My main has a ton of them all but i like my hunter alt too i just dont feel like playing her because i dont wanna do everything all over again. Plus i have some pets that are almost impossible to get again.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Shaman
I would settle for titles being account-bound. Earning insane on more than one character is...well...downright insane.
Let's not forget that it's bound to bring people back to- I've heard tons of comments about how people would return if they could play another character. Plus I want to play a monk, and I DON'T want to earn all the achievements I have on this toon, on that character all over again.

One question has risen though, not that I can expect this, what is going on with the achievements that are 'partially' complete on a variety of characters (IE: 50 wins for a BG on one, 50 on another.) Would they be combined, or would we be forced to play on those characters until we earn 100 victories on one character?
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
I have eight 85's, I don't play most of them simply because of the lack of progression. I've stuck to my warrior mostly, and the only reason I didn't drop him was because of my achievements/mounts/pets.

I'd like to be able to play the class I want without sacrificing all the hard work I've put into my account. Please let this happen Blizzard. I can definitely see why people want this, I haven't even hit the over 9k achievement yet and restarting seems aeons away.

I'm with a few previous posters on this.. it's make or break for me in MoP. If I could corral all of the achievements earned throughout my entire account I'd be pretty dang high.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
I think account wide achievements are a brilliant idea, but I also think there needs to be a middle ground for players that do/have put the time in to earn them on multiple toons.

The achievement UI should list all the toons that have completed each achievement...and it may be worth having two different calculations for achievement scores.

Basically, completing an achievement once unlocks it for the whole account, but the score is only applied to the toon that earned it. Completing it on subsequent toons would add the associated score to the toon that unlocks the achievement, and then the account score would basically be the sum of all individual toon scores.

There may even be an opportunity to have account wide feats of strength for earning achievements on 5 or more toons.

You don't want to upset old players by watering down the work they did when these things had to be done on every toon, but you also don't necessarily want to alienate new players with something they can never hope to obtain.
Reply Quote
I really hope this idea was not dropped.
Reply Quote
85 Human Mage
I sooooooo hope they go through with this. I'd love to use my warrior's red proto or rusted proto without having to find a group / pay people to do those with me again!
Edited by Aldroy on 4/10/2012 10:11 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
Wait what? Nooooo!!!!! Dang it Blizz this will ruin the whole 'One day we'll get to spend these Achievement Points".
Reply Quote
90 Troll Hunter
I think account wide achievements are a brilliant idea, but I also think there needs to be a middle ground for players that do/have put the time in to earn them on multiple toons.

The achievement UI should list all the toons that have completed each achievement...and it may be worth having two different calculations for achievement scores.

Basically, completing an achievement once unlocks it for the whole account, but the score is only applied to the toon that earned it. Completing it on subsequent toons would add the associated score to the toon that unlocks the achievement, and then the account score would basically be the sum of all individual toon scores.

There may even be an opportunity to have account wide feats of strength for earning achievements on 5 or more toons.

You don't want to upset old players by watering down the work they did when these things had to be done on every toon, but you also don't necessarily want to alienate new players with something they can never hope to obtain.

This ^ right now I have 9 lvl 85's and with it being the holiday for Noble Garden and other holidays makes it a pain to go through them all on each character to get tittle and potentially the mount. I would hate going through the Elder achievement all over on all of them so I'm glad they are adding this. Yet, I do agree there needs to be some place for people who put the more time into it for certain achievements.
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Hunter
04/05/2012 10:04 PMPosted by Omegá
Will rep's become net bound as well? I realise details are still not final but it would be nice considering some of them are the biggest grinds around.
YES! That is a great question... because rep grinds are horrid after the first few times!!
Reply Quote
100 Pandaren Priest
With Mists of Pandaria, account-wide achievements will indeed become available at the Battle.net account level, and many achievements will be shared among characters. A wide array of achievements will certainly be covered, including achievements that relate to everything from raiding and PvP to maxing out professions and assorted fun challenges. We really love the idea that players will at last be able to proudly display proof of the full scope of their adventures around Azeroth, regardless of which character they choose to play on any given day.

While we are still working out the details regarding how various specific achievements will interact with the new system, once we have a bit more information to share with you, we’ll certainly let you know.

-Starts to breath heavy-
-Starts to foam at mouth-
-Chokes on foam-
-Passes out and dies from excitement-
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
04/10/2012 03:42 PMPosted by Mw
One question has risen though, not that I can expect this, what is going on with the achievements that are 'partially' complete on a variety of characters (IE: 50 wins for a BG on one, 50 on another.) Would they be combined, or would we be forced to play on those characters until we earn 100 victories on one character?

I am curious about this as well.

For example, I have every achievement except one for Battlemaster. I have the missing achievement on another character, would that then proc Battlemaster...

I have a feeling it will not, just due to issues like characters earning metas like Veteran Nanny in a single week rather than 3 years.

Just a thought! Ok I am off to bang my head against the brick wall of that last achievement I need......:)

Account wide achievements is a great concept. This character is not my main, and I would love to use Justificar (and hopefully Battlemaster) on my main at MoP release.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]