The Official Ironman Challenge Thread

11 Draenei Priest
Hey this is mags reporting in. Priest seems cool for now. Trouble area is from 15-20. Got to 7th and completed the first mine quest with no death. Shooting for 15th level.
42 Night Elf Warrior
Back up to 20 again. 16 to go to get back to where I was. Darkshore is still just as sad the second time through.

Did something happen to Janileth? It doesn't look like she died on the armory but she's missing on the spreadsheet.
49 Night Elf Hunter
Made it through all of Badlands. It's pretty rough for hunters... you can't use your pet for most of it, because you're controlling NPCs. It's also basically a Horde zone, with two major questing areas within 100 meters of Horde guards. Probably a better idea to head to Thousand Needles and/or Tanaris.
46 Draenei Hunter
02/05/2012 06:57 PMPosted by Ironellypta
Did something happen to Janileth? It doesn't look like she died on the armory but she's missing on the spreadsheet.

I came to ask the same thing.
46 Gnome Warlock
02/05/2012 10:41 AMPosted by Kamre

I would say no. not necessarily because of the gear itself, but because dailies, while not explicitly prohibited in the rules, are considered outside of the spirit of this challenge. And if you don't do dailies, you can't get said gear.

Also, through my limited experience doing this challnge, I have come across green gear that had no bonus stats on it, and consider those against the rules as well.

Ultimately though the decision is yours. You are the one that will have to look at your character if and when you reach 85 and decide whether you are satisfied with what you have
achieved and how you achieved it.

I did the darkmoon dailys last night on my iron toon. Uh oh.. Lol. I didn't know they were prohibits. But after doing them I see nothing wrong with them because the darkmoon dailys give no experience. They give reputation and a prize ticket.

Yeah sorry man. I probably should have worded my take on the dailies better. I forgot to add two key words after my spirit of the challenge comment: for me. I have decided for me that dailies are a no go. A little extra challenge for me. This of course doesn't mean it's wrong for you. Like others have stated, dailies are not forbidden in the rules. If other people choose to do them is fine with me. I have just made the "no dailies" decision for myself. That's pretty much what i was getting at in the last part of my statement.
46 Draenei Hunter

Ironmikey wrote:

Yeah sorry man. I probably should have worded my take on the dailies better. I forgot to add two key words after my spirit of the challenge comment: for me. I have decided for me that dailies are a no go. A little extra challenge for me. This of course doesn't mean it's wrong for you.

Early on in this challenge we decided that the "spirit" of the rules was to tightly restrict any benefits you would get in combat or for leveling. Thus, no groups, only gray/white gear, no pot/elixirs, etc. The original rules were revised a wee bit around the concept of no combat/leveling benefit. If something provides neither combat nor leveling benefit, there is no real reason for a rule against it. Therefore for instance, you can buy whatever bags you want, white green or whatever. Beyond the rules, some people have given themselves extra challenges. One player is leveling in only starter gear, some are not taking the first aid profession and/or not doing any dailies.

To me, our main purposes as a group are to support each other in this challenge and to attain something special for our selves. A personal achievement. Ultimately, only YOU will judge your success in this challenge.
56 Blood Elf Mage

I came to ask the same thing.

Someone that doesn't like me for some reason probably removed my entry.
It also looks like the spreadhseet was wiped again.

Okay, because I don't understand, or haven't been paying attention...either way...
Why is there an uproar about dailies?
They are infact Quests, what am I missing? How exactly is doing a daily against the rules here?
Understand, I am not making an argument - just asking the question.

~Jani
Edited by Janileth on 2/6/2012 2:47 AM PST
85 Human Warrior
Hey everyone. Got a question about fishing and cooking. To my knowledge fishing and cooking don't provide any experience gains or major benefits and am wondering why these two are excluded. Sure, you can cook food that provides a buff but these foods aren't allowed regardless so in my mind this doesn't matter. It wouldn't matter if you could cook them, just don't eat them. Are we looking at this from a gold earning point of view?

The reason I ask is I have made an ironman hunter on a roleplay server. From a character development and immersion perspective a hunter that can kill for/fish up his own food and cook it 'feels' completely acceptable for the class.

Thanks guys. Love this concept by the way. There are a ridiculous amount of hunters doing it hehe.
26 Draenei Priest
Due to the Super Bowl and a lan party afterward my challenge time was very short, so I only made level 22. I have completed 100% of the quests (including those from item drops) in Azuremyst, Elwyn, Dun Morogh, Teldrassil, and Loch Modan and am currently hanging out with Two-Shoed Lou in Westfall.
Good morning. Spreadsheet restored (for now) and hope to play some today!
87 Draenei Mage
Well thus far it's been a frustrating experience, and my last death just left me needing a break for a little bit. Went afk and had a mob 3 levels below me spawn on top of me and gnarl me to death. I'll probably get back into it within the next day or so.

-Irontheshirt
56 Blood Elf Mage
Hey everyone. Got a question about fishing and cooking. To my knowledge fishing and cooking don't provide any experience gains or major benefits and am wondering why these two are excluded. Sure, you can cook food that provides a buff but these foods aren't allowed regardless so in my mind this doesn't matter. It wouldn't matter if you could cook them, just don't eat them. Are we looking at this from a gold earning point of view?

The reason I ask is I have made an ironman hunter on a roleplay server. From a character development and immersion perspective a hunter that can kill for/fish up his own food and cook it 'feels' completely acceptable for the class.

Thanks guys. Love this concept by the way. There are a ridiculous amount of hunters doing it hehe.

Its because they fall into the profession area, is all.
The point as I know it, is to do the most with the least.
The only thing that the rules so far allow for is the use of first aid, but I personally don't even use that.
I mean, on the first Ironman Page, there were people doing things that they wanted like - taking a specialization, but no talents.
You of course have to do what you think is in the spirit of the challenge, and have fun with it.
If you want to fish and cook, none of us will tell you not to.
In the end, its supposed to be an enjoyable and good challenge for you.

~Jani

Edit: To Selena: Can we get some FAQ up on the front page explaining why no Cooking/Fishing, as it occurs on every page at least three times :)
Edited by Janileth on 2/6/2012 5:13 AM PST
60 Worgen Warlock
Lvl 29 now

I was questing in STV and a random DC occurred in the middle of a fight. by the time I had logged back in I found my demon had finished that fight and was beating down a murlock, (the mrgl-mrgl that always runs to the road and attacks passing travelers), the murlock died and I was OK.

I started Planning my positioning, with the possibility of a DC in mind, for almost every fight. That is the only reason IronVedric is still living. Having a pet helped a lot too. If I had been a pet-less class I would have died so it may be a lot less helpful for non-pet classes but ... every little bit helps.

as for the constant questioning of the rules of this challenge;
It is very simple... it's not a contest.
It is a personal challenge that makes this game fun once again.
Personally I started the challenge laid down in the rules here:
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/3881923142

Those are the rules I stick to because to me that is THE Ironman Challenge. I also realize it was different at some point Before that iteration of the Ironman Challenge Rule set.
If you want to cook and fish... well, nobody cares, ...
However when you present your character at (hopefully) lvl 85 and tell everybody you succeeded in The Ironman Challenge some of them are going to check your stats pages and give you grief if it doesn't fit the rules. That is OK though, you aren't doing this challenge For them, hopefully, you're doing this for yourself and Having FUN.

(I also realize that many people, some at different times, have a great deal of fun micro-managing rule-sets and running around 'organizing' things... that is OK too! A lot of that fun has been experienced here in these threads. :) It is nice to watch sometimes.)

Fight on Challengers! and Live!
46 Draenei Hunter
I was questing in STV and a random DC occurred in the middle of a fight. by the time I had logged back in I found my demon had finished that fight and was beating down a murlock, (the mrgl-mrgl that always runs to the road and attacks passing travelers), the murlock died and I was OK.

I started Planning my positioning, with the possibility of a DC in mind, for almost every fight. That is the only reason IronVedric is still living. Having a pet helped a lot too. If I had been a pet-less class I would have died

Yup, I thought I was a goner yesterday when I dc'd mid fight and with ample nearby mobs. Came back with my fox waiting patiently by my side, and a couple dead nearby.

Unfortunately, the statics page doesn't differentiate between dc deaths and battle deaths :(
85 Gnome Rogue
Edit: To Selena: Can we get some FAQ up on the front page explaining why no Cooking/Fishing, as it occurs on every page at least three times :)

I'd love to. I agree, this question comes up more often than I'd like.

The problem is that there really isn't a universal answer, at least not one that I can think of.

As I'm sure you remember, the OP just listed a bunch of arbitrary rules that we had to decide how to interpret. Heck, the OP didn't even think them up!

My personal opinion is that those professions aren't allowed because they allow dailies, but those dailies can be tracked separately through the achievements tab. So, in my mind, there isn't really a good reason to disallow those specific professions.

Of course, if III has taught me anything it's that people care a great deal about the integrity of the rules even if there is no combat benefit to changing them. I'm also aware that my interpretation of the "spirit of the rules" is not universally held.

At this point I'm inclined to just say "because everyone else has been doing it that way." If we NEED a reason then maybe I could list the financial one. It is AN advantage, however small.

I'd love to hear your thoughts on this (or anyone else's)
46 Draenei Hunter

02/06/2012 09:42 AMPosted by Selenagnomez
My personal opinion is that those professions aren't allowed because they allow dailies, but those dailies can be tracked separately through the achievements tab.

It seems either you must outlaw all dailies, or the profs that lead to risk-free dailies. To my knowledge we didn't outlaw dailies.

Mostly, I still feel it's too late to change the rules.

And to those wanting to bend the rules: you may well be sorry when you get a character high enough to start hoping to go to max level. Remember, your statistics page in the armory will display everything. I'd say the top 10 in the challenge all get regularly inspected for transgressions.
14 Blood Elf Paladin
Hey guys, haven't been on in a few days. Had a lot of work to do at my unit. I'll be back to the challenge soon. Happy hunting.
02/06/2012 10:57 AMPosted by Aguantar
And to those wanting to bend the rules: you may well be sorry when you get a character high enough to start hoping to go to max level. Remember, your statistics page in the armory will display everything. I'd say the top 10 in the challenge all get regularly inspected for transgressions.

This would Imply a ridgid "this is how the challenge is" mentality, without allowing people to decide for themselves what kind of challenge they want to do. While I think it's fine if people want to be inspected and judged on their success or failure, we need to remember that this isn't a contest, nor a race to be 'first to 85'.
90 Undead Rogue
In an early post, while merely listing top contenders, I was asked if I was going to participate in the Challenge. I declined at the time, saying I didn’t feel I had enough experience with the game to come near success. Later (after being usurped by a machine ;P), I decided to give it a go, but said even then that I was doing more in the interest of the story-telling aspect.

Well, I admit defeat... at least for now.

After literally a dozen incarnations, Iamlegionhas not managed to exceed level 13. A certain Forest Ettin proves too much for his meager skills, even after having ground mobs for extra exp. My frustration is pretty advanced right now and as this Challenge is supposed to be about fun, not frustration, continuing would be counterproductive, so I’m going to return to the sidelines for a time. Hats off to everyone making such good progress. You are proving yourselves “a cut above” in more ways than one.

Bowing out of the Challenge, however, does NOT mean that I am ready to destroy the character, or cease the writing. The concept I developed at the beginning is taking on a rather compelling aspect to it, and I’m starting to understand what professional writers mean when they talk about the character(s) taking over and the story starting to write itself.

I will continue leveling Iamlegion (all Challenge restrictions removed, of course) and writing updates of his progress, but I wish to ask participants here if they want to see those story bits posted here, or whether I should relegate them to the Story Forums. “Journal updates” and such being posted so far have been exclusive to active participants and I’m just not sure whether this would be an appropriate venue. Feedback, please.

Go, go, Iron Challengers!
56 Blood Elf Mage
02/06/2012 10:57 AMPosted by Aguantar
My personal opinion is that those professions aren't allowed because they allow dailies, but those dailies can be tracked separately through the achievements tab.

I'd say the top 10 in the challenge all get regularly inspected for transgressions.

I am being inspected? I feel so violated. <3

Yeah, at this point...since we are our 5th Ironman thread, I would have to agree ... changing the rules any further might prove to be our undoing. We made it about 1.5 threads without changing too much now, and we seem stable.

Dailies themselves are not outright disallowed, but I do not think I have done any to defend or protect.
Lets all nail this to the wall, Dailies or no?
Why or why not.

I will give my 2c now.
Dailies are just repeatable quests. I don't see that its a problem, unless we are going for as blank a slate as possible. We can't use the quest rewards or the tokens given - like at the Argent Tournament, as we are not using the gear.
I mean, sure someone could use the dailies to level, but so what? They are quests, and they reward gold and xp like any other quest.
That having been said...I still think allowing cooking/fishing at this point would be a mistake.
When I first started this, I saw the rules as the means to be as barebones as possible, and while the cooking/fishing inherently do not provide any bonus, beyond the extra quests...its still a profession, and shouldn't be used at all.

In short, Dailies - I agree with, as they are quests and were not specifically targeted from the beginning, and No to allowing cooking/fishing.

Thanks! <3

~Jani
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]