The Official Ironman Challenge Thread

...Dreams...so many dreams...I have been in a forest on a tree, as a rogue, and as a mage. Furblogs, those creations that are a bad shade of bear, have killed me there. Then I wake from the nightmare of death, to find I have a new allegiance and a new home. My skin is green and I drink from a kaja cola bottle (*gives me IDEAS)..I have a pet crab I call Magnet and some great buddies..but no the nightmare over takes me as a jungle cat pounces...I waken, again in a place full of civil war, worgen taking over a city, and I become one..then again, as Forsaken attack, the Nightmare of Death comes...and I am reborn. I am a Blood Elf mage, learning skills I once knew as a Night Elf, coming to terms with my existence...
90 Undead Rogue
Nice read Aber.

It's Sylvanas, by the way.
Sorry. At nearly 90wpm, I make mistakes faster than most people. I'll edit better in the future.

:)
46 Draenei Hunter
02/06/2012 06:53 PMPosted by Casathree
I'm sure everyone's aware of the feign+hearth+abandonpet option for hunters, as well.

Never occurred to me...didn't realize feign death would take you out of combat enough for a hearth, thanks!
46 Draenei Hunter
*journal*

Following my grandmother's steps, and visiting many places where she served before the Cataclysm, I spent a week on Fizzle and Pozzick's Speedbarge in what is still known as Thousand Needles. The Cataclysm flooded the whole area, turning it into a huge lake. Fizzle (a gnome) and Pozzick (goblin) run the speedbarge as a joint effort. However, Jinky Twizzlefixxit, a goblin, insistently claims that, as she built the barge, it should be named after her.

As you can imagine, this cross faction coalition is sometimes fractious, and bar fights break out on a regular basis. Indeed, groups conversing amiably and dancing together will suddenly break out into a fight, goblin on gnome, for a short time. Then, they go back to drinking and dancing together. It's quite amusing how easy it is to start a fight, and I confess to bonking a goblin a couple times, just to see the bar fight erupt. Oddly, though I throw the first blow, I am never hit myself. These folks just want to hit each other occasionally.

I did a few errands for the folk on the barge, for which they rewarded me my own river boat! I believe they wanted me to hang around longer...perhaps the boat is only a loan, I'm not sure. In any case, I soon explored the shore around the lake, and found an ancient path up and out of the whole area. I found myself in an area called Tanaris, the town is called Gadgetzan. The jobs being offered to me here are a bit difficult for me, but I did manage to gather some spare parts and kill a few giants while at it.

Although I do like Tanaris better than that huge lake, I find the jobs more within my abilities in Thousand Oaks. I may go back and forth between the two, until I get stronger.
Edited by Aguantar on 2/7/2012 8:45 AM PST
90 Undead Rogue
Document found in an inn in Gilneas, Eastern Kingdoms.

I am Legion, for I am many; champion of the numberless souls who scream for justice… and if none is to be found, then for vengeance. I write to remember…

“What are we if not slaves to this torment?” These are the words of Lady Sylvanas, the Banshee Queen, successor to the Lich King and architect of my own tormented slavery. It is she I design to destroy for it is she who, ultimately, bears responsibility for a great many evils. Let none doubt my resolve. I shall see her end or my own in the attempt. I am as immortal as she and willing to use eternity to plan and prepare for the perfect moment to exact... what? Some would call it justice, others would call it revenge. To me the two are the same for what is justice other than vengeance countenanced by the masses? It is a “socially acceptable” form of brutality; “right and proper”, “punishment fitting the crime” or any number of banal plaudits used to sooth fragile egos. I have no ego to bruise and therefor need no such drollery.

Sylvanas has taken me deeper into her confidences. We rode together and she spoke at length regarding Lordaeron, its destruction and her… dream… of keeping it out of the hands of all she deems usurpers. Though I understand her view, her resolve, I detect focused madness in her words leavened with a desperate need for some form of sympathy, or compassion. Her will certainly drives and directs the Forsaken. What might they be without her? This may be a route to my goal. By worming myself into her limited troupe of intimates I may gain a window of opportunity available no other way.

Since my first view of Warchief Hellscream I have had more exposure to Orcs, the onetime enemies of my land and now my ‘allies’. I had never seen one, only heard of them through the stories of veterans who had fought them. Their countenance can be frightful but I have seen that many tend towards lazy brutes. They work hard and can be mighty warriors when… sufficiently pressed, but the masses require constant supervision as (given half an opportunity) they will drink rather than think and woo rather than do. Only the rare ones – those like Hellscream who rise to dominance – seem able to do other than spend their days seeking besotted rut. Fortunate I am that my desire for Sylvanas’ destruction does not require their cooperation – and little more than forbearance of impediment from Horde leadership.

I have reaped Worgen by the bushels. With most, their combat techniques are such that a perceptive tactician can exploit them. Their main success as a group comes from their guerilla tactics which confounds normal unit methods. Individually they may be dealt with easily. And so I do and none I have met have escaped to warn his brethren of me. I shall see to it this remains so.

Through my training, word (rumor? – call it what one will) has reached me of two small but interesting coteries, each of different mind. One ascribes to stern discipline, extreme frugality of possession, and a near suicidal “courage”. Their numbers are few but tales of their great exploits with the meanest of equipment and other support already sweeps far and wide. Variously dubbed Iron Warriors (not to be confused with the Dark Iron Clan), Iron Men (though not limited to males in the least), or Followers of the Way of Iron, these “champions” of certain martial "virtues” accomplish as much as they eschew. I risked contact with them to learn more but the details of their vast and demanding array of self-denials and pledges to a peculiar “code of conduct” made me certain their ways were not for me; at a minimum the notoriety they engender would be detrimental to my need for secrecy. They do not seek this fame – indeed it is another thing they seem to abjure, but they have it nonetheless and I cannot countenance it. It is too dangerous. I have been invited to correspond with them and may do so upon occasion. Perhaps, at some future need, their aims can be brought into contiguity with my own and their great prowess become another tool to my hand. They will bear close scrutiny.

The other group call themselves Deathstalkers. Prodigies in assassination they comprise an elite corps used by Sylvanas – and certain other Forsaken Overlords – to expunge the most threatening enemies… and obdurate rivals. The only hint of contact I can find speaks of Undercity. Expediency is not an issue… but subtlety certainly is. Can I link with this… ensemble… without tipping my hand? There is too much potential to disdain their use, if use them I can, but the risks of premature revelation rise in similar measure. As with the Proselytes of Iron, I must be exceedingly careful.

I will become the lowest of the low if need be so I many relegate the highest of the high to screaming nightmare and destruction. Daily I become more convinced success is possible. Did not the Val’kyr, Agatha, say to me, “I see doom in your future”?

Indeed. In am Forsaken and…

I am Legion.
90 Night Elf Druid
I'm thinking of giving this a shot starting today. I notice a LOT of Hunters. Does that seem to be generally the best class for attempting something like this?
...Eversong is a place of great beauty, but of such tragedy. The Wretched are a stark reminder of what we can and will become if greed and arrogance over take the soul. I have done the minor tasks, coming in contact with some of the Wretched to remind one of the evil in the world. I have had my first contact with Alliance, and it did not end well. Are they all spies? I am earning silver to purchase a companion dragonhawk, it is preferable to the drooling, farting corehound pup, who is digging holes in everyone's gardens. I have delivered the party supplies to Saltheris, and am enjoying the dancing, the bite of the Suntouched Reserve (from Mr. Suntouched himself..I'm sure there is a story behind his name..), and the springpaw bites. But the party must end, despite what he says, and I need to face the horror of The Scar. Just going near that highway of death and its ghosts makes my skin crawl, but it needs to be done..because Ghostlands awaits...(As a Blood Elf, I find an unending craving for magic and the need to skip and jump..)
90 Orc Death Knight
I'm pretty sure there is an area like this for any level range. It's just a matter of travelling to it (ooh, scary road).

Pulling too many? They are yellow.

And you're doing it on a PVE server so there is no PVP risk.

In other words, you're just doing a careful, mindless grind, that a 4 year old child could do with enough patience.

I understand that you are trolling to get attention, but seriously you should try this. It's the most fun I have had in game in a very long time.

By the time you hit like lvl 20 or so, mobs start to have more health than you. Rares and questline "bosses" have about 2-2.5 times your hit points. You have to plan your attacks and use what I am calling a survival rotation just to survive at level mobs and I'm nowhere near outland yet...

By slowing down the pace and being forced to play very smart and conservatively, I am having a much better time than grinding heroics or raiding.

Sidenote- as many of our community are doing, I have set my own personal challenge of completing questlines in successive order. Alot of folks are pushing themselves in their own ways, no one is grinding boars in an underpopulated corner of a forrest.

Fair enough, I can definitely see the challenge if you quest.

But grinding yellow mobs and saying it's hard because you can potentially DC is silly. It's not hard. Just like Diablo2 Hardcore (permadeath) is not hard, unless you DC. But D2 HC is miles and miles harder than what you're doing safely grinding yellow.

Even if each yellow mob you pull takes you 10 minutes of kiting to kill, it's not hard. You just carefully repeat same exact steps over and over. There isn't any risk.

Questing I can respect, and I might try that myself. Grinding is no challenge.

As for finding yellow mobs in an appropriate range, it's a matter of research and travelling there. Don't make it seem harder than it is, please. It's not.

90 Tauren Druid
I think I will start today on (used an online rng) male dwarven priest on Wyrmrest Accord. Ironheals is the name. If this fails too hard I will probably switch up to a hunter and go the less insane route.
90 Night Elf Druid
I started just now. I picked Wyrmrest Accord, because I saw a lot of the folks in the spreadsheet are on that server and I just went with the first race/class/gender that popped up when I clicked "Create Character". So I now have a baby Female Human Warlock. Probably not the easiest class to do this challenge with, but probably not the hardest either.

Can I use my own health stones?
34 Night Elf Hunter
I started just now. I picked Wyrmrest Accord, because I saw a lot of the folks in the spreadsheet are on that server and I just went with the first race/class/gender that popped up when I clicked "Create Character". So I now have a baby Female Human Warlock. Probably not the easiest class to do this challenge with, but probably not the hardest either.

i might be mistaken, but since your healthstones are part of what your class can do, then i'm pretty sure they're fair game for usage. just no health/mana pots
85 Draenei Mage
Grinding is no challenge.

As for finding yellow mobs in an appropriate range, it's a matter of research and travelling there. Don't make it seem harder than it is, please. It's not.

With all due respect this would be a valid comment if people where "Just grinding" but they are not. Nobody is doing permadeath with "just grinding". Everybody that I know doing permadeath does it with tons of restrictions and nobody does it with just grinding.

Further more, the challenge is a personal one. The thrill you get when you have to be careful and aware of your environment is something you do not experience when you do not worry about death. There is really no point in trying to explain this if you have not tried it for yourself. Just like Sky Diving, I could try to motivate you to try it and jump with me but you would not understand until you tried it for yourself.

Just grinding is boring and is not a challenge, it is just a means to 85. So please don t say people are "just grinding" because nobody in these threads is claiming so. We are all doing more than "just grinding". All of us have more restrictions imposed and that makes it a challenge.

By the same token you could also say that world/server firsts are also "just grinding" since they are grinding bosses instead of mobs/quests. Does that make the fact that you get a server first not a challenge because some people see it as "just grinding" a mob? Your same comment applies there too: it's a matter of research and travelling there. Don't make it seem harder than it is, please. It's not.

Do you think "insane in the membrane" is easy? Its just grinding so why is it not more common? 100k HK kills is easy, its just grinding. maxed out achievements, its easy its just grinding :) Ask yourself...how many people do you know that made it to 85 without deaths out of 10s of millions of players on all continents?
Edited by Neverdied on 2/7/2012 10:57 AM PST
85 Gnome Rogue
02/07/2012 10:23 AMPosted by Kraylune

As Irondrisia said, Healthstones and Mana Gems are fine because they are class abilities. The issue isn't with the benefit but the source. We're trying to do this without outside assistance.
85 Blood Elf Mage
02/07/2012 10:50 AMPosted by Selenagnomez

As Irondrisia said, Healthstones and Mana Gems are fine because they are class abilities. The issue isn't with the benefit but the source. We're trying to do this without outside assistance.

Has anyone succeeded so far, is it even possible in outlands/northrend..Or worse cata content? If the challenge is hard but do-able it's understandable. If it is out-right impossible..It's pointless once you hit cata content.
85 Blood Elf Mage
Someone just messed up the whole entire spreadsheet..I was about to add my char too.
90 Night Elf Druid
Do people seriously have nothing better to do with their lives than mess up that spreadsheet? I bet they think they are clever and funny. How sad.
85 Draenei Mage
How to protect your google spredsheets
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqowSHotEY4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLJiRD9hu5k

You can also lock/hide sheets (the tabs at the bottom).
Edited by Neverdied on 2/7/2012 11:21 AM PST
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]