Please Welcome Nyorloth!

(Locked)

85 Tauren Shaman
How about the Tuskarr?

I'm still mad they didn't go Horde as was initially hinted.

*continues his ridiculous bifurcation of everthing into Horde/Alliance camps*

...And the frost giants go here, and the magnataur go there... and the gorlocs go here...

02/08/2012 06:06 PMPosted by Aktarin
Why thank you. I was once a rabid night elf fangirl, and then a somewhat cynical draenei query-girl, then an increasingly disillusioned Blizzard fan, and now I'm unsubbed and my subscription ends in early march.

Through the fire and pain we've both reached that wonderful world that is... indifference.
85 Night Elf Hunter
We have, haven't we, Sky?
It's both a shame and a relief, I find. I miss being passionate about matters of first contact and aggression between Horde and Night elves.

Now I'm just bitterly intent that the story somehow get back on track or admit that it's over and resources have been diverted into Titan, so we can move on.

Either heal the beast or put it down.

edit: That's a valid perspective to keep in mind, Nyorloth. We probably don't really mean to infuse you with negativity, but I suppose it boils down to a determination on the part of former fans to actively assist in mending matters, or for those in power not to obfuscate the issue with witty repartee or promises which never come true.
There are those who vehemently and passionately still argue tooth and nail over details in the story. There are those who walk away in disgust and will never be regained. And there are those like me and Sky, who in our heart of hearts wish things could get better, but bitterly suspect they never will.
Edited by Aktarin on 2/8/2012 6:35 PM PST
85 Tauren Shaman
02/08/2012 06:30 PMPosted by Aktarin
Sky, who in our heart of hearts wish things could get better, but bitterly suspect they never will.

Eh, our new dark an tentacly overlord gives me -hope- just not alot and I'm not going to make any more big ranty threads about how Blizz isn't trying or doesn't care or whatnot just because someone overseeing the story makes a mistake.

It's just not worth getting upset over anymore. Gameplay's still good.
100 Orc Warrior
I feel a shudder. A Dreamer stirs amongst muted flesh. It is nearly time to cross the arch. Time to greet the howling whisper. Time to die under sunken skies and be born into blissful agony.

What will you speak to the end? What will you see in the shifted gaze?
Blizzard Employee
02/08/2012 10:46 AMPosted by Aktarin
This new addition is intriguing. So let's be blunt, shall we?

The lore of Blizzard's universes is very near and dear to my heart, and my passion (read: fanaticism) for the lore was one of the prime reasons I was brought on to the Creative Development team back in 2009. My presence here is completely voluntary; and I’m present in the Story Forums for all three franchises on the US and English EU forums on top of my regular duties as a story developer. This privilege is something I've been working towards for three years now, however, so I don't foresee myself abandoning it any time soon.

While I've mentioned it on the EU forums, it's worth reiterating here: except in very rare situations, Creative Development does not directly generate the quests and dialog in the game. That burden is squarely in the hands of the quest and encounter task forces within the World of Warcraft development team. The publishing team within Creative Development is in charge of cataloguing what has come before (historians), and developing the ancillary fiction that enriches/develops the universes outside of the games (story developers). I will be going into the finer details of our jobs in other posts and threads, but suffice to say for now that the entire publishing team within Creative Development would not exist if Blizzard was not passionate about maintaining and developing compelling and cohesive universes.

With regards to harnessing the power of the community (not just Warcraft, but for StarCraft and Diablo as well), I can confidently say that we HAVE been doing that for a while - it's actually been part of my job for the last few years. It's why we started the Global Writing Contest, it's why we created the Story Forums in the first place, and it's why we do "Ask CDev" projects. However, we know that we can always improve – and hopefully my presence here can help speed up that improvement.

One of Blizzard's Core Values is "Every Voice Matters" and we mean it - the opinions of each and every one of you is worthwhile. The best way to ensure that your voice counts for as much as possible is to take the Rationalist motto to heart when posting: "why do I think what I think?" If you can provide clear and concise reasoning for your opinions, and speak only for yourself, I can guarantee that I will give your words the time and consideration they deserve.
100 Tauren Druid
I could get used to this.

Someone bring me an iced tea? /kicks back and puts his hooves up
91 Night Elf Druid
Thanks for the post then Ny.

I'll be sure to do that a bit more than I do.

Many of us forum goers been a bit bitter, so having a blue here is certainly something that should raise spirits.
85 Tauren Shaman
Beautiful, enlightening, refreshing post, however...

02/08/2012 07:08 PMPosted by Nyorloth
except in very rare situations, Creative Development does not directly generate the quests and dialog in the game. That burden is squarely in the hands of the quest and encounter task forces within the World of Warcraft development team

Do they go through a lore 'crash course' when they enter those teams?

Who double checks to make sure that they don't say, apply DnD or general mythological principles to WoW?

Do they self-check or do they go to you, or do they self-check using some kind of Warcraft Bible provided by CDev?

Either way perhaps you could consider getting your gnarled tentacles up in their business... /cackle

EDIT: Last sentence altered to not sound like a rude demand.
Edited by Skytotem on 2/8/2012 7:20 PM PST
85 Night Elf Hunter

The lore of Blizzard's universes is very near and dear to my heart, and my passion (read: fanaticism) for the lore was one of the prime reasons I was brought on to the Creative Development team back in 2009. My presence here is completely voluntary; and I’m present in the Story Forums for all three franchises on the US and English EU forums on top of my regular duties as a story developer. This privilege is something I've been working towards for three years now, however, so I don't foresee myself abandoning it any time soon.

While I've mentioned it on the EU forums, it's worth reiterating here: except in very rare situations, Creative Development does not directly generate the quests and dialog in the game. That burden is squarely in the hands of the quest and encounter task forces within the World of Warcraft development team. The publishing team within Creative Development is in charge of cataloguing what has come before (historians), and developing the ancillary fiction that enriches/develops the universes outside of the games (story developers). I will be going into the finer details of our jobs in other posts and threads, but suffice to say for now that the entire publishing team within Creative Development would not exist if Blizzard was not passionate about maintaining and developing compelling and cohesive universes.

With regards to harnessing the power of the community (not just Warcraft, but for StarCraft and Diablo as well), I can confidently say that we HAVE been doing that for a while - it's actually been part of my job for the last few years. It's why we started the Global Writing Contest, it's why we created the Story Forums in the first place, and it's why we do "Ask CDev" projects. However, we know that we can always improve – and hopefully my presence here can help speed up that improvement.

One of Blizzard's Core Values is "Every Voice Matters" and we mean it - the opinions of each and every one of you is worthwhile. The best way to ensure that your voice counts for as much as possible is to take the Rationalist motto to heart when posting: "why do I think what I think?" If you can provide clear and concise reasoning for your opinions, and speak only for yourself, I can guarantee that I will give your words the time and consideration they deserve.

/reads carefully.
/nods thoughtfully

I don't intend to get my hopes up, Nyorloth, but with the obvious reservations? You're impressing me, and this reply is absolutely the right note to be striking with anyone who shares my perspective. I hope that you really can effect change, and I also hope that you will ensure that the community understands what you can and cannot do, openly, so that unrealistic expectations are not thrown at you, and instead, helpful assistance is offered for the betterment of all. I will say that given what I've felt and seen to date in the community, if it's ever legally viable to do so, indicating when and where story forum input has altered the lore would likely have a very positive effect in lifting the spirits of your fans.

I do very much like what I'm hearing, and I am a fairly cynical person at this stage. Keep it up, and do try if possible to show the community where and when their feedback kicks into effect, and let's hope that we can see some leaps forward, and positive change. I will say that I am happy to lend whatever jaundiced view I am able, as a trained historian with a fascination for cultural practices and social expressions of identity.

/bows deeply

edit: Also Sky, good point. Nyorloth, I don't know how much you are and are not able to divulge to us. But whatever you can divulge with regard to elaborating who does what and how it works would possibly help to alleviate some of the assumptions which fans have made over the years.
Edited by Aktarin on 2/8/2012 7:27 PM PST
90 Night Elf Hunter
I like this Old God-spawned aberration so far. :)
85 Tauren Shaman
/reads carefully.
/nods thoughtfully

/bows deeply

Well now I feel crass.

EDIT:

I've got to step it up!.
Edited by Skytotem on 2/8/2012 7:27 PM PST
85 Night Elf Hunter
Oh pish posh, Sky. <3 You and I seem to be on the same page.

Oh also, Nyorloth, are you able to tell us whether you have a team behind you? Realistically, one devoted person probably shouldn't be embarking on this alone. I hope you do have ample support!

edit:

I ought to toddle to bed. Welcome again, Nyorloth. Keep this tone up, and you will have loregeeks purring like kittens if promises are kept and ideas implemeted with transparency and continued good humour. Bravo thus far!
Edited by Aktarin on 2/8/2012 7:34 PM PST
85 Worgen Druid

I'm curious. Were you one of the people at the publishing panel?
Edited by Lupira on 2/8/2012 7:29 PM PST
90 Night Elf Hunter
Were you the "Blue Shirt Guy"? With the other hat?

Edit: Sean Copeland?
Edited by Pumlaxer on 2/8/2012 7:35 PM PST
85 Blood Elf Warlock
Oh pish posh, Sky. <3 You and I seem to be on the same page.

Oh also, Nyorloth, are you able to tell us whether you have a team behind you? Realistically, one devoted person probably shouldn't be embarking on this alone. I hope you do have ample support!

1. I'm a naturally guilt-ridden individual by nature.

2. I'm really just looking for an excuse to slip out of that awful-awesome hat Sky has, sometimes I love it and sometimes the purple just clashes with the pauldrons and... OHGODWHAT'S WRONG WITH ME!?

3. *Gibbering madness*

4. (I do hope he's not alone in this)
100 Blood Elf Warlock
I think Nyorloth may be my new favorite Blizzard employee.

I even felt compelled to put on one of my Thickets album and rock out to some Nyarlathotep.
93 Night Elf Hunter
Atrocious.

Like the Lor'themar story.

Late, but I lol'd heartily. XD
90 Dwarf Shaman
greetings my good man.

may i inquire upon you to look up from that map, and meet my gaze?
85 Human Paladin
Nyo, a patch or two ago, you guys threw up topics in all the class forums asking specific questions about everyones class, what they liked and didn't, how they thought it could be improved and so forth.

Is there any chance we could see something like that here in the story forum? It's great to hear that you guys listen to us and care about our opinions, but I feel we could do a better job of giving you the info you need to make a better story if you asked us more specific questions about what we think is wrong and our opinions on what we think needs to change.
100 Night Elf Druid
Nyo, a patch or two ago, you guys threw up topics in all the class forums asking specific questions about everyones class, what they liked and didn't, how they thought it could be improved and so forth.

Is there any chance we could see something like that here in the story forum? It's great to hear that you guys listen to us and care about our opinions, but I feel we could do a better job of giving you the info you need to make a better story if you asked us more specific questions about what we think is wrong and our opinions on what we think needs to change.

This post reminded me this forum has a "like" function.

I'd love to see a couple of threads like asking the community for their opinions on groups like races or factions and a place for constructive criticism.

And by constructive criticism, I mean corporal punishment.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]