Choosing a Healer Toon? Here's Some Help.

(Sticky)

90 Human Priest
Also, anyone got a decent fun fact for druids?

Well, it's strictly aesthetic, but we are the only spec of Druid in the game who retains "caster" form, so we can actually see our transmog set.

May not mean much, but I was pleasantly surprised to see how well various items I'd kept throughout the years -- one of which is no longer available in the game -- go with the current tier gear.

Good to know ^.^ Will include it into Misc. Info.

Thanks for the thread. I started this priest because i want to learn how to heal and I really have no idea where to start. I've been dps'ing the last 2 years. I've used shadow to level but want to do disc/holy when i hit 85 as i'd like to do raid heals. Thanks for the starting point:)

I've not delved into this forum much - yet (priests). If i'm looking to learn to heal, is this the best place to start? I've tried a couple of times with guild mates but always panic and am oom in record time.

You're very welcome :)
Since you're a priest, it'd be best to check out the Priest forum for gearing and healing tips as a priest. http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/1012666/

Once you're in the correct gear and are speced properly it'll become easier for you.

Also, you can try practicing in battlegrounds to get a feel for it. Of course, raids and BG's aren't the same thing but in BG's no one will scream at you for panicing and going oom. You can practice using all your abilities to your heart's content.

02/15/2012 01:18 PMPosted by Haleyt
what is a good horde class/race combo for healing pve/pvp/dungeons and raids. im thinking of making a new toon for a little group of 3-4/5 people but have never done healing before. the one im thinking of currently is tauren resto-druid with herb and enchanting as i will be the group enchanter but i am new to healing as i said so some advice or tips of the trade would be nice. thx

Any class/race combo would be acceptable; race is mostly about asthetics, while class is about preference. Though you may want to choose a race depending on the racial traits you recieve; you can check out this site to look over the info.: http://www.wowhead.com/races
To choose class; just read the summaries I gave in the first two posts and choose the one that most appeals to you.
Edited by Abeille on 2/16/2012 2:50 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
02/16/2012 06:15 PMPosted by Hooves
grats on the well-deserved sticky!

02/16/2012 06:15 PMPosted by Hooves
You could include the temporary speed increase talents (Body and Soul and Speed of Light) into the Holy Priest/Paladin fun facts. I find these absolutely awesome, especially the Holy Priest one (and the Hpally one's saved my back quite a few times too!)

Hmm, will see if I can fit them in.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
Grats on the sticky, and grats on the report as well.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
I would add that casting Divine Shield, THEN taunt is a 8sec uber tank. It has served me well at least once.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
02/17/2012 08:08 PMPosted by Anarri
Grats on the sticky, and grats on the report as well.

Thanks :) But what you do you mean by report? Because being congratulated on my thread being reported is a bit...

02/18/2012 10:37 PMPosted by Dancër
I would add that casting Divine Shield, THEN taunt is a 8sec uber tank. It has served me well at least once.

02/18/2012 11:27 PMPosted by Hooves
Only 3s, taunt fixate only lasts 3 and then Divine Shield threat-immunes you again for the remaining 5. :P You can Righteous Defense again for... 1.5s longer, I think.

I was looking for Righteous Defense in the MoP ability list, but I don't see it. Are they removing it? Also, this was written earlier about using Divine Shield:

You can't righteous fury + divine shield to tank.

Rather, righteous fury will do nothing.

Divine shield drops you off the aggro table; you must taunt (you can do back to back taunt + righteous defense) to keep the boss aggro on you, but thats all you can do.

If you don't taunt, you will lose aggro and dps will die.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
Yes, they've advanced the possibility (again, not beta yet) that they'll remove tank AoE taunts. No guarantee though and RD has never been a true AoE taunt, like Challenging Shout/Roar. DKs still only have two single target taunts (Dark Command, Death Grip). So it's a bit too early to say anything.

At the moment, you can only "tank" through Divine Shield for 4.5s, because of taunt DR on the second one.

Hmm, I see.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
02/19/2012 10:59 AMPosted by Abeille
But what you do you mean by report? Because being congratulated on my thread being reported is a bit...

Sarcasm. Just thought it was funny that this thread is highly rated, stickied, and reported.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
Lol, I see what you mean.
Reply Quote
72 Draenei Shaman
Helped me, I'm sticking with Shaman healer, you forgot to mention the fact that a shaman can throw rocks on the tank, then heal the rest with the basic heals
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
I'm glad that this sticky helped you, Tunnarr :).

And thanks, I can't believe I actually left out Earth Shield for Shamans >.>
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin

You can't righteous fury + divine shield to tank.Rather, righteous fury will do nothing.Divine shield drops you off the aggro table; you must taunt (you can do back to back taunt + righteous defense) to keep the boss aggro on you, but thats all you can do.If you don't taunt, you will lose aggro and dps will die.

That's why you use divine shield THEN taunt. Of course you drop all aggro you have when you bubble, doesn't change the fact that you can still taunt.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
Okay, changed the information.
Reply Quote
87 Blood Elf Priest
Should have mentioned that Discipline Priests have outstanding mana management. I would also mention that Druids are the only ones with replenishment, out of all the healers.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
I will work it in. Which reminds me that I need to add in the Body&Soul for HPriests and the bubble speed boost for Paladins? Anyone can tell me the name of the ability/talent for that?
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
I would just like to say nice work. It is good to see a thread like this. I raid with all 4 healing classes and it is nice to see such an accurate description of the classes and builds.

You might want to preface this post with some general healing techniques and principles of healing classes. This could be done by highlighting the givens of healing. Such as having a base heal, strong heal, multi-target heal, and class/spec specific heal.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
Thank you Kangarooster :).

Also, thank you for the praise Undertowtem, but I can't take it all myself. I got a lot of suggestions on how to fine tune the information I took from Nomahska of Shu'halo's previous post.
I will consider the suggestions you made. I wanted to make things concise so that I could leave all the information in the first two posts, but I have two more reserved about four posts down that I could use.

Updates will take me some time, I may not get to it 'till this weekend.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]